Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lloyd Grossman sauces - Worst sauce on the market?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Was in a friend's house in Dundalk on Thursday night and we were gonna make some pasta but we had no sauce so I nipped around to the shop and picked up some Lloyd Grossman suace.

Honestly imo it was the worst sauce I've tasted in a long long time. We had the Italian sauce by the way.

Maybe I'm over reacting calling it the worst sauce on the market as I've only tried one flavour of sauce but tbh it was pretty horrible.

Anyone else feel the same or have I just got crap taste buds? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Your are correct. It is rank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was in a friend's house in Dundalk on Thursday night and we were gonna make some pasta but we had no sauce so I nipped around to the shop and picked up some Lloyd Grossman suace.

Honestly imo it was the worst sauce I've tasted in a long long time. We had the Italian sauce by the way.

Maybe I'm over reacting calling it the worst sauce on the market as I've only tried one flavour of sauce but tbh it was pretty horrible.

Anyone else feel the same or have I just got crap taste buds? :)

Yup! they're horrendous, I think I've a couple of jars languishing in the back of the larder, must throw them out, I couldn't even bring myself to putting them in the annual food collection in my local supermarket:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭manafana

i agree his italain sauces r poor and you would be as well to buy the store brand. But i quiet like his indian sauces, but you cant beat pataks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

+1

I don't rate them at all... and his thai curry one is equally bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

surely they cant be worse than Uncle Ben's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

his Indian sauces are pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 bought it once (a tomato based italian sauce). :eek: Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Comlpetely agree.....Lloyd Gross Man

Sacla are imho the best supermarket pasta sauces, although its always better to make your own of course but sometimes we all get lazy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jackie_brown

Llyod's sauces are pretty gross alright, especially the thai curry ones. its like glue.

jamie oliver, on the other hand, has really good sauces from his italian range.
    try the red onion and rosemary. simply different but absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was going to ask what other ones are out there. Might give Olivers a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

jar sauces are all horrible tbh. with a little more organisation u can make fresh sauces.

Grossmans Tomato and Basil is very nice for a premade sauce. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Grossmans Tomato and Basil is very nice for a premade sauce. :confused:

i agree that one is nice, seems to have alot more tomatos then rival brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I liked the grossman smokey bacon pasta sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jackie_brown

rubadub wrote: »
    I liked the grossman smokey bacon pasta sauce.

is that the tomato sauce one or the creamy one?
    his carbonara one is atrocious.
    glue i tell yas, glueeeee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

wouldn't buy something to eat that was endorsed by someone with 'gross' in their name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They had s pecial offer in Dunnes and I bought 4 different kinds of LG sauces and they were all foul. Try the dunnes Tomato and chilli though its better than the Sacla as far as I am concerned. We go through about three jars of it a week. The Tomato and Basil one is not nice though. Never had the bolognese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Seeds of Vhange sauces are much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I never buy Jarred sauces, Lloyd Grossman sauces= Yuck! sitting in a bag Highly Processed.. its fine if you don't know how to make a sauce or are just looking for convince or sum thing Cheap but the best sauces are make yourself Freshly.

You should make up a batch of Stock and Mother Sauces Like Tomato Sauce, Label/ date and freeze them in an airtight container of suitable size that way u can have a Really Good Health Tasty sauces or a base for a sauce u want to make when u want them.

I also Do this For Stocks and Demi Glaze at home Frozen in ice cube trays, Just pop one or two of them to release Amazing flavor to Sauces.. and having Real Good Home made Demi Glaze Makes amazing Gravy, Casseroles and Sauces...yum!

The only sauce I would buy which would be Jarred/Bottled would be BBQ or Ketchup!

Then again I am a Professional Chef ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Never had his Italian sauces, I think his Korma and Tikka Masala sauces are pretty damn good though. I would always add a good few extra things into them though, but tbh I haven't used a jar sauce in a long time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is that the tomato sauce one or the creamy one?
    his carbonara one is atrocious.
    It was the tomato one. The tomato ones are 99c in lidl at the moment, didn't list the smoky bacon one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not a big fan of his sauces, but hate Dolmio it's so sweet and bleah.
    I do like Dunnes Bolognese but it's very garlicy so you'll smell afterwards..morning breath will be particularly rank.

I used to buy a good few jars of sauces but now I just keep tins of tomatoe or bottles of it in the press, just throw in some garlic or garlic oil and some dried herbs or whatever else on the day. It's just as quick and you get the taste you want.

Jaimie Olivers tomatoe and red onion sauce is very nice I think, but I tried my hand at it myself from scratch and it tastes almost the same, either way gotta love a nice tomatoe sauce with pasta and a bit of parmesan simple dishes are sometimes the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lloyd Grossman? That name sounds about 0% Italian :p

Never tried his sauce and after this thread I certainly never will :)

lloyd%20g%20-%20tom%20and%20basil.jpg
    this is what your dodging Unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I love his Tomato and Chili sauce.

since when did he get a culinary degree, i though he was some ghay estate agent who says "whoo lives i howse like deissss?"

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

think i tried one of his italian ones before and was similarly unimpressed.
    but his balti and jalfrezi are pretty good, though i usually just stir a spoon or two into my own curries to thick 'em up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

his sauces are rough alright

Advertisement