Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diecast Models

Options
  • 09-03-2010 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here collect Diecast? Matchbox, Dinki, Corgi etc?
    Just bought a few vintage Matchbox models, mint condition in their original boxes.
    The thing is, Do I display them in my glass cabinet or do I wrap them in cotton wool and keep them somewhere safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I personally don't see a point of storing stuff away like that.
    They are there to be seen and enjoyed not kept in a box because they might be worth something some day.

Nearly all my trains are on display in a cabinet and only because I don't yet have the space for a proper layout. Once I do they will all be on that, being run for enjoyment. To hell with what they may be worth someday

Thats just me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

between me and my dad we have a collection worth wel in excess of €10,000.

consists of everything corgi, matchbox, dinky,tekno, hot wheels..

we like,we buy lol

altho i have left the older stuff and have seriously gotten into the collecting of irish fleet livered trucks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dunboinne

Is anyone interested in buying Forces of Valor, ultimate soldier or Corgi diecast models. I'm getting rid of my collection for economic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Does anyone here collect Diecast? Matchbox, Dinki, Corgi etc?
    Just bought a few vintage Matchbox models, mint condition in their original boxes.
    The thing is, Do I display them in my glass cabinet or do I wrap them in cotton wool and keep them somewhere safe?

DISPLAY THEM!! But make sure they are in a cabinet away from dust (and unwanted hands!) I've almost 500 diecast models and unfortunately most are in boxes still as I've nowhere to display them yet but they will get displayed eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I have some Matchbox Models Of Yesteryear, and a Burago BMW from 1985 from when was a kid. I keep them on display all the time, but look after them. I would make sure you keep your stuff away from direct sunlight etc, as it will cause fading on packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

check them occasionally for mould... yep dont leave them in a damp environment. Otherwise those nice whitewall tyres may stick to the shelf and possibly disentigrate (cracks on tyres) or even flat, just like the real thing. Place a bag of crystals, like the ones you get in shoeboxes, which should help to keep the mould to a minimum.... and check that your boxes arent mouldy as well. Dont store anything in an attic. if possible, place ur items in bags or plastic storage boxes that are air-tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i display the models and store the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I collect a lot of diecast models myself. It's mostly the smaller scale models that I collect, as I have no room for the bigger 1:18 sized models anymore. I was at the toy fair in clontarf on sunday and it was very good, although I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't have very much Star Wars stuff, but thats another story. The models I mainly collect are trains (1800s versions), movie cars, old fashioned tractors, old fashion fire engines, steam vehicles and cars from 1895 to the 1960's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hi everyone.

I have five Jordan F1 models, all are 1:18 scale.

Minichamps Jordan Peugeot 195 Rubens Barrichello.

Came from Germany and it was the last model I purchased so far.

Minichamps Jordan Peugeot 196 Martin Brundle.

Came from the UK as a present.

Minichamps Jordan Mugen Honda 198 Ralf Schumacher.

Came from Germany and was the second model I purchased.

Hotwheels Jordan Honda EJ12 Takuma Sato.

Came from France and was the third model I purchased. I had to encounter a serious bidding war to win that! Won the bid by 50 cent.

Hotwheels Jordan Ford EJ13 Giancarlo Fisichella.

Came from the UK and was the first model. When I opened the box to get the model out, it was stinking of tobacco!

I have them all on display so I can see them everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I collect a lot of diecast models myself. It's mostly the smaller scale models that I collect, as I have no room for the bigger 1:18 sized models anymore. I was at the toy fair in clontarf on sunday and it was very good, although I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't have very much Star Wars stuff, but thats another story. The models I mainly collect are trains (1800s versions), movie cars, old fashioned tractors, old fashion fire engines, steam vehicles and cars from 1895 to the 1960's.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that you found very little Star Wars stuff! I have displayed/sold at Clontarf Castle a few times and have been surprised by the amount of Star wars stuff on sale! I know of at least one guy who does nothing but Star Wars, maybe he wasn't there for this show, we do four shows per year so hopefully you'll have better luck next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I have five Jordan F1 models, all are 1:18 scale.

Minichamps Jordan Peugeot 195 Rubens Barrichello.

Minichamps Jordan Peugeot 196 Martin Brundle.

Minichamps Jordan Mugen Honda 198 Ralf Schumacher.

Hotwheels Jordan Honda EJ12 Takuma Sato.

Hotwheels Jordan Ford EJ13 Giancarlo Fisichella.

I have them all on display so I can see them everyday.

Well I hope you have them behind glass to keep them from getting dusty!:D

I have as many of my models on display as I possibly can in 3 glass cabinets. Look after your stuff now, you'll appreciate them even more in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Well I hope you have them behind glass to keep them from getting dusty!:D

I have as many of my models on display as I possibly can in 3 glass cabinets. Look after your stuff now, you'll appreciate them even more in years to come.

I don't keep them in glass cabinets, but they all came in display boxes so I keep them in there where they are safe and sound and that's the way I want to keep them as some of them are very hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 putu

Do ye know the value of Jordan models have decreased in value since they left the sport? I used to collect them up til 2000.

Advertisement