Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Question

Options
  • 09-03-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Some advice needed please.

I recently did a rebuild for a desktop. So did a typical reformat and re-install of Xp.

However the graphics card had to be replaced as it was damaged.

Now i need the video controller driver as device manager is showing it as not installed.

My question is "Is the video controller specific to the motherboard and chipset rather than the graphics card itself"

So in looking for the driver should i look for motherboard drivers or just search for the driver using the new graphics card model number?

The card is pci-epxress but a different model to the one originally installed.

Hope i made sense there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

When its comes to graphics cards there is no driver that I'm aware of that you need to install for the motherboard's benefit, basically drivers for chipsets and grpahics card are not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

So where do you think i need to look for the video controller driver.

The mobo site or perhaps the site where i got the video card from.

So ok i downloaded the driver from the NVIDIA website.

Will test it later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sometimes for laptop/portable parts you use the vendor's (graphics card maker or for integrated GPUs the mobo maker) drivers but for 99% of graphics solutions (onboard or discrete) you need to go to the GPU manufacturer's (i.e. AMD/Intel/nVidia/S3) website instead and download their standardised drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

What type of PC is it? an old one?

For instance with HP's, if you took their graphics card out and then did a clean reinstall of windows, you would have to browse to their site and download all the individual drivers for the various bits.. including the onboard video drivers

Was the card you took out ATI or NVidia?

if you are stuck, look up the model of the computer and search for all drivers related to it, otherwise get an ATI or Nvidia graphics card and download the latest drivers, the cards can be picked up very cheap if you aren't into gaming

• Advertisement

Thanks. Its not very old. Bout three years. Had a PCI-E x16 card.

I updated the chipset for NVIDIA but now i will install the NVIDIA drivers for the graphics card.

I got them from the NVIDIA site. Its an 8600 GT card.

Should be ok i think.

Advertisement