Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIII - First Impressions *probable spoilers*

Options
  • 09-03-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

For those who've played it - what are people's impressions thus far?

I'm about 1-2 hours in. Awesome opening. It's very reminicent of the openings of FFVII (elevated train / advanced city) and X ( tutorial along the Zanarkand highbridge).

Not much happening with the Battle System so far. Lot's of handholding ala X but it looks very promising. Glad that they've kept the Random Battles away.

The voice-actors actually do a pretty good job for the most part, although Vanille's accent seems to fluctuate a bit between Aussie and Englsh :confused:. The main problem is, as with all FF games, the actual dialogue, which can be a bit hit and miss.

I think we're onto a winner with the soundtrack - some great tracks already. The boss music is pretty epic. On a par with XII's boss music i reckon. Nice work, Hamauzu.

The Datalog is a welcome feature too. Throws up lots of interesting and welcome background information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Kind of what I expected so far. Great graphics,sound,presentation but a dissapointing battle system and I'm not as instantly hooked as I was with 7,8,9 and Lost Odyssey. Its early days yet though and I'm looking forward to getting out of the city and for the story to take off. And yeah the start of it does remind me of 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Played up to chapter 4, but the game so far hasn't really sparked much interest.
    I'm not so sure about the battle system either, it seems a little dumbed down.
    I don't like not being able to micro-manage team mates actions, depending how this plays out later in the game could make it really annoying.
    I only started using paradigm shifts and at the moment its pretty chaotic, but at least its more technical than the few hours prior pressing X over and over.

The voice acting is (from what i've seen) pretty decent, unfortunately the dialog is probably the worst i've ever come across. I'm well aware its final fantasy and this is pretty standard but i don't think 12 was remotely this corny.

To be honest, the reviews said it takes 15 hours to really get into its stride, and i'd add that it takes a few hours at the start to get anywhere.

Will have to put more time into it to get a better impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Aaah, I've got a few hours of college before I can play...must be...responsible...I can't wait to play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Vanille's voice actress....dear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

First few hours didnt look to promising for the new battle system but I'm starting to get into it now.

couldnt help but cringe and laugh when he said "lets even up these odds" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Dubs wrote: »

couldnt help but cringe and laugh when he said "lets even up these odds" :rolleyes:

"Moms are tough!"

I see........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

bugs wrote: »
    "Moms are tough!"

I see........

The writing / voice acting is atrociously bad. My eyes rolled quite hard when they discussed
    what it would feel like to be a crystal
    . Seriously?

The combat system definitely improves - I'm about four or five hours in now and they do add depth to the system, but at a sometimes painfully slow pace. It looks and sounds absolutely fantastic, but I'm always rather disappointed that you have to stick through staunchly pre-defined paths rather than explore. As I said in another thread, the shroud system is really good though.

There have been moments when I've stopped and just admired the scenery (Gates of Antiquity..) but then it is back to more repetitive straight lines. I'm going to stick with it though, because the combat system shows a lot of promise, the levelling up system is interesting and the promise that it all does open up eventually. I just think there'll be a lot more nonsense dialogue between where I am now and there.

I really wanted to like this game but I'm finding it a bit of a chore and overall I'm dissapointed. I can't help but feel that myself and a bunch of regulars here could write better dialogue,create more interesting characters and just alter basic things like proper towns,a overworld map,turn based gameplay and magic points ect-which would improve it so much.

I can't understand why Square continue to abandon the turn based gameplay,there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. So far I rate Lost Odyssey superior in everything bar graphics-even then there's not a massive gulf.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are there any side quests?or have they gotten rid of them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

bugs wrote: »
    "Moms are tough!"

I see........

I died a little inside when she came back for the 'I told you moms are tough'.

Surprised it took 40 minutes for Sazh's first 'dayuuuum!'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I died a little inside when she came back for the 'I told you moms are tough'.

Snow.. he loves the cougars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he says a Clay Davis 'Shiiiiiieeeettttt!' then I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Enjoying it so far. Just got to the part where you access Paradigms, the battle system seems more interesting already! I assume that Paradigm Shifts will give us a certain amount of control how the other party members behave.

As others have said: he voice acting is pretty good, the script is hit and miss. Lightning's voice actress (Ali Hillis) also voiced Liara in Mass Effect. And Vanille...yeah...quite irritating.

Where is Lighting's
    l'Cie brand
    ? They highlight the rest of the party's, why not her's?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If we're talking about first impressions (well, post Square Enix logo), I was mightily impressed with that composition.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he says a Clay Davis 'Shiiiiiieeeettttt!' then I'm sold.

What you talkin bout Retrogamer?

gary-coleman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else reminded of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast? The music and visual design of the Cocoon levels really bring to mind PSO. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people worked on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Are there any side quests?or have they gotten rid of them too?

My son informed me that there are 50+ hours of side quests(he read it somewhere...no linky). I haven't bought the guide book yet, so I don't know.

In a week or 2, when I've finished the game I may invest in a guide book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

For all my skepticism I'm really enjoying it so far. Get the feeling they wanted a VII vibe from the train opening and general sudden fast pace. Battle system is good so far, every time I get fed up of having limited options it gives me something new so it's just about as slow as it can be without being ridiculous. Still a bit too much hand holding though, but I guess not everyones play a FF game before.

Mainly I just love the settings and such, story seems decentish, but the world is pretty damned impressive.

The less said about some of the characters the better. Hope needs to be throttled with a telephone cord.

Sazh (is that right) however, rocks. A stereotype yes, but a stereotype I enjoy! WIthin 5 minutes he said 'I'm too old for this' and thus I was hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I actually like Vanilles voice.Im not sure why though :confused:
    So far im liking the setting.The battle system is taking some getting used to(being hit while youre attacking is weird) and having so little at the start is pretty simplistic.Looking forward to more options though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inFamouxee

First impression "Cutscenes WOOOOOOOOOOW! Battle System -_-" controlling one character at a time is bit of a let down... :( but i would say this is the best looking game ive played on PS3! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If we're talking about first impressions (well, post Square Enix logo), I was mightily impressed with that composition.
    Main Titles music is class, for sure.

Boss composition is great too:

Have just started using the Paradigms which were a bit tricky at first. Got my party leader (Lightning) taken out by that psicom boss at Lake Bresha 3 times :o before I learnt to keep a sharp eye on her health. Oops.

The Crystarium is a bit awkward to navigate but otherwise fairly sphere grid-like.

Story is a goodie so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Vokes wrote: »
    Have just started using the Paradigms which were a bit tricky at first. Got my party leader (Lightning) taken out by that psicom boss at Lake Bresha 3 times :o before I learnt to keep a sharp eye on her health. Oops.
    You wernt kidding.The game just went from press X a lot to insane :eek:
    I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Dear christ.
    1: am on the third disk. Still no side quests yet(though am only about an hour into the disk)
    2) Feels slightly beat them up ish not rpgish to play with the constance a a a a a a a a lb up/down a a a a a a a
    3) 1000 for a phoenix down......really!? (not that you need them unless yer in a tough boss battle which there really isn)
    4) I think it's way to dumbed down.

Dear christ.
    1: am on the third disk. Still no side quests yet(though am only about an hour into the disk)
    2) Feels slightly beat them up ish not rpgish to play with the constance a a a a a a a a lb up/down a a a a a a a
    3) 1000 for a phoenix down......really!? (not that you need them unless yer in a tough boss battle which there really isn)
    4) I think it's way to dumbed down.

How...what?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Xluna wrote: »
    How...what?:confused:
    Got it on monday, Takes about 18-20 hours to hit the third disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Living Few

I just posted this in another thread but I suppose it's worth posting here too since it's a frist impression lol

Got it yesterday after work. Played it for a while. It seems to be almost exactly like ffx in regards to how linear it is. The fighting style is very boring and repetitive though which is the opposite to 10 lol. I had to endure about 7 million long boring ass cutscenese just to play 20 minutes of actual game. What the f*ck is the deal with this? I don't want to watch a movie, I want to play a game. Exact same with final fantasy 10, even though it played like a dream it was almost not worth it due to being bombarded with pointless cutscenese (unskipable I might add). Voice acting is abysmal and the characters are annoying and as usual unlikable arrogant twats, especially the males. I did notice the really cool, folkloresque music stylings though which I liked, compared to 12 which now that I think of it, might aswel have had no soundrack at all. As far as visuals go though it looks great and although this seems like a widely negative review, as long as you skip all the boring suck-scenes then you eliminate all the rubbish elements of the game. So far though it's playing like a 7/10. You could propably take this as a review of ff10 too while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I had to endure about 7 million long boring ass cutscenese just to play 20 minutes of actual game. What the f*ck is the deal with this?
    errr...start -> select to skip movies. But if you are going to be doing that then just stop now and get a more actiony type game like GOW3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

From what I read on NeoGAF, this game is a really really slow start. They said about 15 hours in and you'll love the combat system.

I kinda like snow, lightening and shaz. Hope and vanille can piss off. I hated it when snow gave her a gun and she does the kiddy pretending shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I thought the second the paradigms came in it was a good system. Really like the fast pace.

Love that there's no random battles. I didn't quite appreciate how great it is to not have them till they were gone!

1 complaint:
    Shive can turn into a motorbike? Whaaa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Living Few

And here I was completely unaware that RPG's were all about the cut-scenes, maybe I should just play GOW because people who love cut-scenes think so, or maybe I'll just not do that and continue to say that the cut-scenes are too much. too much. too much. too much. too much. too much. see how saying the same thing over and over again is annoying? Just like cut-scenes do

Advertisement