Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIII - First Impressions *probable spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Near the top right of gran pulse there's a save point, just up from this a bahamut king will be fighting a big dogish thing, attack, preemptive attacks no matter even if they see you, have a ravager and commando at least, attack king, It'll be half health because of the fight, ravager will stagger it immediatly, should finish it off before it transforms, which only leaves the big dog thing, gives 6600 cp per fight. Ehm taking on the adamntoises with tiny tusks can give gold dust which are worth 15000 gil. You have to have a minimum of 4000 hp for this though tbh. Oh you can sneak by a proper adamantoise and be able to pick up a gold nugget which is worth 60,000.

Yes you will get a shop to buy that stuff, you get it off one the Stones. The stuff that makes you invisible before battle is 30,000 though

Yeah, thanks. I found something annoying about the AI that hampered me here. Apparently if you have two commandos in your team (active in current paradigm), the secondary commando will not attack the same target as your lead commando. I had Lightning, Vanille and Fang (with Light and Fang as commandos for major stagger damage). But when I staggered the BK, Fang started attacking the dog and killed it... Also. I like using a paradigm with a Sentinal (fang), but can't use that in these sort of fights cause she just provokes everyone to her. I'll try it next time without two commandos, maybe swap one of em for another ravager or something. I'm past the plains now though, in the underground thingy, so I guess I'll just leave it for now and handle it later when I get back. There's pretty good CP there from the robots and they're piss easy to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I really, really want Hope to die.
    Really? Whereabouts are you in the game? He's grown on me a lot and now I really like him. His voice actor is really good too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm just over nine hours in, dragging myself through the tedious Whitewoods, hating the characters, Sazh excluded, and the dialogue is just awful. To be honest, I'm pretty close to chucking it in and trading for Resonance of Fate on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

... pretty close to chucking it in and trading for Resonance of Fate on Friday.

Friday week, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah right you are, thought it was this week for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I'm just over nine hours in, dragging myself through the tedious Whitewoods, hating the characters, Sazh excluded, and the dialogue is just awful. To be honest, I'm pretty close to chucking it in and trading for Resonance of Fate on Friday.
    You're pretty close to when it gets much better. I'm starting Chapter 10 myself with about 21 hours on the clock, and I'm loving it. There's quite a bit of character development between where you are and where I am. You haven't even unlocked all the paradigms or even met Fang yet. (Fang is awesome).

If you do decide to chuck it let me know what you think of RoF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I hate that everytime it changes the team over, i've to reset most of the paradigms. I also want hope to die, i'm on chater 10 and he still bugs the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm on chapter 11. I assume I should start grinding/farming now.

Any tips on what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Do the first few mark missions, the ones the cie'th stones give you. Then just a few battles against some of the weaker enemies, maybe an hour or two, you'll spend that time just wandering around the huge map anyway, after that just head on and you'll trounce everything in your path. A good test is if you can easily disaptch 3/4 gorgonopsids (the big wolfish things running around the place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Bit of an oul difficulty spike in this there pulse place.Gettin my ass handed to me left right and centre
    Oh good, i'm just after
    beating Pope Ratzinger/Fal'Cie fella and i think i'm close to getting down to Pulse
    . So far fights have been piss easy and kinda boring save a select few good ones.
    I really, really want Hope to die.
    He gets more bearable
    after he stops wanting to kill Snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Gave it a break for a couple of days now 18 hours in on chapter 8,definitely getting a lot better. It's a slow game to pick off. Makes Suikoden 5's five hour prologue-esque start seem like a fast paced intro.

Holy f*ck Sazh just topped himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Xluna wrote: »

Yeah at that part my jaw hit the floor! Am I the only one surprised by just how dark and engaging the story is in terms when compared to how happy the team usually seeems? Until chapter 10, its the story that was keeping me going but after that everything really comes together!

Just a shame it takes so long to finally begin! You need a free weekend to tear through 15 hours or so prologue!

These gran pulse missions are pretty cool. I gives me a monster hunter feeling and makes me wonder what monster hunter would be like in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Do the first few mark missions, the ones the cie'th stones give you. Then just a few battles against some of the weaker enemies, maybe an hour or two, you'll spend that time just wandering around the huge map anyway, after that just head on and you'll trounce everything in your path. A good test is if you can easily disaptch 3/4 gorgonopsids (the big wolfish things running around the place)
    The place is gigantic! You'd spend months looking around it. You really have to pick your fight there though, I've gotten trounced more than a few times already.

OK i know its half 2 but no mistake about it, King Behemoth isnt playing fair! I slap on some Deceptisol, and the two others that boost defence and offence, I jump him and his two plant friends who i dispatch of in a few seconds then i start hitting him. Now I've only been on Pulse 2 hours so my accessories are all HP+ and physical defence and lightning defence. He has 350 or 450k health (cant remember which) and when you pwn him down to 50k he pulls his f***in horns off and regenerates back to full health. *sigh* OK... grand, a few retries later and i manage to get him down to 50k, he cures, and down to 50k a second time but now the f***er whacks my leader for 2000 in one physical attack quickly followed by another magic hitting each member for 1000. Now in a fight where he was taking 1500 of my 2200-2700 every few seconds and i was still beating his ass around the place, to go and do something like that is... well its just not cricket.

I may be slightly sleep deprived. I'm seeing that low health red flash around my peripheral vision as i type...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

OK i know its half 2 but no mistake about it, King Behemoth isnt playing fair! I slap on some Deceptisol, and the two others that boost defence and offence, I jump him and his two plant friends who i dispatch of in a few seconds then i start hitting him. Now I've only been on Pulse 2 hours so my accessories are all HP+ and physical defence and lightning defence. He has 350 or 450k health (cant remember which) and when you pwn him down to 50k he pulls his f***in horns off and regenerates back to full health. *sigh* OK... grand, a few retries later and i manage to get him down to 50k, he cures, and down to 50k a second time but now the f***er whacks my leader for 2000 in one physical attack quickly followed by another magic hitting each member for 1000. Now in a fight where he was taking 1500 of my 2200-2700 every few seconds and i was still beating his ass around the place, to go and do something like that is... well its just not cricket.

I may be slightly sleep deprived. I'm seeing that low health red flash around my peripheral vision as i type...

Okay, here is how to deal with him... strategy spoilers included (no story spoilers).
    Firstly, you will defo need to farm some CP. Ironically, the best place to actually farm said CP is in the next area, the underground tunnels, here you have hopolite robots and bombs that are easy and quick to kill and regenerate in the area and you can just run around farming them for an hour or so and get quite strong, but you need to get past that pesky bahamut to do that. In the gran pulse, there is a circular area to the east of the save point that you start, around the walls, there are gooey flan type creatures there and wolf-dog thingies, you can farm these for a bit of CP. Then when you're a little stronger, head northwards, you will find these giant birds circling around a cliff. They are quite killable using a strategy that I will outline below that you also need for Bahamut King. They give 3.5k cp a pop so that's quite good. Then there are the missions. The first two are within the Steppes where you start, for the third one you need to go to the Yashchas Massif. To get there go south from the save point you started at and into the little valley (basically going back the way you came from). Go all the way through and out the other side and you will be there, and there are lots of missions here that you can do.

In terms of strats, to beat the flying bird guys, Start out with a sentinal, sabatour and ravager. (I use Lighting, Vanille and Fang- as main sentinal). After the first round or two, switch to Ravager, Ravager, Sentinal, this should max out the Chain gauge pretty fast, then just switch to Commando, Rav, Commando and it will die fast. (Or Commando, medic, commando) if you need some healing also.

BK is the same. The first time you kill him, if you aren't maxed out in stats you will need to use a Fortisol, which gives you haste, protect, shell etc. trust me, makes a big difference.

Again start out with Ravager, Sabatour, Sentinal. Vanille should be able to put 3 debuffs on him, keep with this combo till he has those debuffs. Then switch up to Ravager, Ravager, Sentinal. If you occaisionally need healing, go to Comando, Medic, Sentinal, and have lighting maintain the chain gauge while Vanille heals. His transformation is NOT HP dependent, it's CHAIN GUAGE dependent (which is why he's so tough) because you can't stagger him without him transforming.

Anyway, when he transforms his hp will go to full but his chain gauge will be the same. At this point, it gets really tricky, you'll need to switch between Com, Med, Sent and Rav, Rav, Sent, to build the chain gauge to stagger. And it's just a race between him killing you off before you can stagger him. Once you stagger him switch to Com, Med, Com, and then Com, Rav, Com. And he should die. If you still aren't beating him, you char's prolly aren't strong enough, upgrade your weapons etc. Maintaining the chain guage is key. Later on, when your chars are stronger, you'll be able to beat him without needing to stagger him, but the basic strat is the same. Others might have different methods.

Once you kill him run through to the save point. At the northern end of the map. Just below it is a path where you will see a BK fighting a Giant dog. You CAN take them on if you like using the advice mentioned previously in the thread. Otherwise, just run through into the next area where you can farm galore and then come back to lay down the hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just after beating
    Dahaka
    last night and got my 100,000 damage trophy.Christ Vanilles Eidolon can lay the smack down alright:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Just after beating
    Dahaka
    last night and got my 100,000 damage trophy.Christ Vanilles Eidolon can lay the smack down alright:pac:
    Yeah!! Since I went and stated hers was the strongest in the game....hopes is now the strongest I have with over 4000 in strength

I just found
    the chocobo area on Gran Pulse. Is there anything to do here bar farm CP and collect the item balls?

• Advertisement

I just found
    the chocobo area on Gran Pulse. Is there anything to do here bar farm CP and collect the item balls?
    You'll get a mission that lets you ride them, which then leads to treasure hunting and other area's in pulse you can't currently reach

Got pulse, are there any towns in pulse?

No towns in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Aster Protoflorian is kicking my a*s so bad. It's not like he's actually that difficult, he just has so much hp that the fight takes AGGGGGGESSSSSS and 1 lapse in concentration and you gotta start all over. 3 times the charm hopefully!

Memnoch wrote: »
    [good advice here]

Ta Memnoch! I was just looking to beat him without grinding and was dumbfounded by what he did after i beat 850k health off him over several 20 minute battles!

By the by, there's a better training ground on the Northern Highplain (the bit jutting out on its own, there's two boxes there) where there are groups of those little owl-looking fellas who have 20k health and give 2k CP per fight. A group can be beaten in under a minute and my party arent even very strong.

How are you meant to know the best way to upgrade weapons? Guesswork? There's millions of combos :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

First Impressions.....

I like it! Definitely rocked my boat quicker than XII. I like the fast pace of the battle system. The way you change paradigms really quick to suit the situation, and the general speed of the battles. However, I do seem to be hitting X far too much for may liking. Positives outweigh IMO.

Graphically, its gorgeous (especially the crystal lake). No question (but nothing jawdroppingly new or unseen before).

Story is typical FF.....far fetched with numerous plot holes and bad script.

Voice acting is not bad, but it seems that 15 year old boys decided to tell Vanille's actor what to say: "Just sound like your having an orgasm all the time".

Music: Hmmmmm....touch and go. Intro and boss music is great but the rest is mindless filler, although the normal battle music is decent.

I'm loving it though! After the turgid trip through frustration town that was XII, its a welcome treat for me during my final few months in college!

Ta Memnoch! I was just looking to beat him without grinding and was dumbfounded by what he did after i beat 850k health off him over several 20 minute battles!

By the by, there's a better training ground on the Northern Highplain (the bit jutting out on its own, there's two boxes there) where there are groups of those little owl-looking fellas who have 20k health and give 2k CP per fight. A group can be beaten in under a minute and my party arent even very strong.

How are you meant to know the best way to upgrade weapons? Guesswork? There's millions of combos :eek:
    When it comes to weapons generally you'll upgrade the way you play, ie, if snows yer tank you'll use the one that gives the most powerful attack, vanille's will be a magic booster.

If you dismantle fangs top weapon you get back 3 trapeziums some elixers and so on, so I've heard

When it comes to weapons generally you'll upgrade the way you play, ie, if snows yer tank you'll use the one that gives the most powerful attack, vanille's will be a magic booster.

If you dismantle fangs top weapon you get back 3 trapeziums some elixers and so on, so I've heard

I've found it does'nt make sense to buy or use new weapons or accesories. Instead I just sell a new weapon/accessory and buy materials to upgrade the weapon I have. Not to keen on that aspect of the game.

I've found it does'nt make sense to buy or use new weapons or accesories. Instead I just sell a new weapon/accessory and buy materials to upgrade the weapon I have. Not to keen on that aspect of the game.
    You won't get the achievement so, Depending on the style you use, you use the weapon that goes with it.

Tbh I hated this game, it was more of a chore to get through than 12, I will never replay it due the the insane hand holding tutorial. Will be returning it today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why did I read that?!!

Advertisement