Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIII - First Impressions *probable spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

You won't get the achievement so, Depending on the style you use, you use the weapon that goes with it.

Tbh I hated this game, it was more of a chore to get through than 12, I will never replay it due the the insane hand holding tutorial. Will be returning it today

Have to disagree with you there. While it isn't nearly as good as 7 or 10, it is light years beyond 12 which I couldn't even manage to finish, that's how much I hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

6 was my favourite, then 7. I can see this being my third favourite to be honest and overtaking 10. I'm enjoying a bit of linearity at the moment. Can't wait to get out into the open world and start farming though. :D Just finished Chapter 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I just spent 30 minutes slowly wearing down Barthandelus in the second fight then he cast's Doom on me and as I panic to finish him quickly, he kills me!!! That is incredibly frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

The decent amount of sheer class mixed in with bits of meh gives it an overall rating of 8/10 for me. That said i have yet to finish it and it has got decidedly better since leaving Cocoon so i'm hoping it will finish strong :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im loving this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I just started on the final chapter. Managed to get 4 Trapezohedrons to drop from that Adamantoise in Leviathan Plaza in roughly 3 hours. Lightning's Lionheart, Fang's Pandoran Spear, Hope's Vidohunira and Vanille's Belladona Wand are now all at Tier 3. Spent another 3 hours more hoping for two more Trapezohedrons to drop so I can upgrade Snow and Sazh's weapons to Tier 3 but absolutely no luck at all. What a sudden turn-around in fortunes :(

On the plus side though, I got a bunch of Platinum Ingots. I had around 4.5 mil at one stage but used around 1 mil of that to upgrade my current Tier 3 weapons to nearly lvl 50. Absolutely tearing through every enemy I come across at this point lol :D

jamescd wrote: »
    I just started on the final chapter. Managed to get 4 Trapezohedrons to drop from that Adamantoise in Leviathan Plaza in roughly 3 hours. Lightning's Lionheart, Fang's Pandoran Spear, Hope's Vidohunira and Vanille's Belladona Wand are now all at Tier 3. Spent another 3 hours more hoping for two more Trapezohedrons to drop so I can upgrade Snow and Sazh's weapons to Tier 3 but absolutely no luck at all. What a sudden turn-around in fortunes :(

On the plus side though, I got a bunch of Platinum Ingots. I had around 4.5 mil at one stage but used around 1 mil of that to upgrade my current Tier 3 weapons to nearly lvl 50. Absolutely tearing through every enemy I come across at this point lol :D

Any tips on killing one? Or do I just need to farm and upgrade more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

just make sure to take out the legs first!

Where's the best place to start farming at the start of Chapter 11? Bear in mind I won't be nearly strong enough to take on an Ochu or that notorious Behemoth spot.

eh , the archylte Stepp is decent, just attk the 2 mobs that are fighting each other and finish off the behemoth first each time.

just keep respawning them via the save station offers alot of CP farming this way.

• Advertisement

TechnoPool wrote: »
    just make sure to take out the legs first!

Yeah, kind of struggling to do that, maybe I'm using the wrong paradigm. Just don't deal enough damage quickly enough. And seem to need too much healing

Memnoch wrote: »
    Yeah, kind of struggling to do that, maybe I'm using the wrong paradigm. Just don't deal enough damage quickly enough. And seem to need too much healing

go back and farm the behemoths then and get some more easy CP then go back, its a pain but worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Apparently if you have upgrade either Kain's Lance or Nirvana to maximum level, and then dismantle it. You'll obtain three Trapezohedrons. So one Trapezohedrons can turn into 3 etc.

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Apparently if you have upgrade either Kain's Lance or Nirvana to maximum level, and then dismantle it. You'll obtain three Trapezohedrons. So one Trapezohedrons can turn into 3 etc.

indeed there's an easy way to make money doing this aswell.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Where's the best place to start farming at the start of Chapter 11? Bear in mind I won't be nearly strong enough to take on an Ochu or that notorious Behemoth spot.

To be honest I didn't really farm in one spot. When I first arrived at Gran Pulse I just started exploring and looking for treasure spheres. I just kept on killing weaker monsters that I encountered along the way i.e. Gorgonopsids, Adroas, etc. Then I started doing the Cie'th Stone missions, did missions 1 - 14 if I remember it right, at least until I got the ability to ride chocobos. Using that, I collected more treasure spheres at areas that only chocobos can reach and also did a little of bit of treasure digging. The first one I found was a Gold Nugget which sells for 60k :D When I had enough of that I just proceeded with the main storyline.

So my advice would be just explore and do the cie'th stone missions. Based on my experience, I don't think there is really any need to stay in one spot farming for CP. I already have 4 roles maxed out for each character and I still have like 999,000 CP spoints unspent for each :eek: I find that you get more than enough CP for killing enemies you encounter along the main storyline. I did a quite a bit of Gil farming though when I got to Chapter 12 though, so I was getting a lot of CP at the same time too. It's like killing two birds with one stone as they say :D
    Any tips on killing one? Or do I just need to farm and upgrade more?

I used the "cheap" method, as most people like to call it. By that I mean summoning Vanille's Eidolon which automatically takes out the Adamantoises' legs. While it's down, I had Hope buff the party with as many buffs as possible and at the same time used Vanille to spam "Death". When it's about to get up, I just switch Fang to Sentinel and Hope to Medic, and just carry on spamming "Death". Sometimes I manage to kill it before it gets up and sometimes I don't. I just kill the soldiers nearby to recover TP and then re-spawn the Adamantoise by moving on through the next door and coming back. I've seen someone do it without using "Death", but he had Lvl 90 Tier 3 Weapons and he used fortisol, deceptisol, etc. before the fight :eek:

CodeMonkey wrote: »

That's what I was planning to do, but as I mentioned in my other post I managed to get 4 Trapezohedrons to drop in under 3 hours so I thought getting 2 more shouldn't take me long. Boy was I wrong :pac:. Another 3 hours later and it wouldn't even drop 1 more lol.

I have both Kain's Lance and Nirvana and also more than enough money to upgrade either one to max lvl so I might try that later on.

jamescd- thanks ya I knew about the "death" method but wanted to try and do it the normal way. Oh well :)

To be honest I didn't really farm in one spot. When I first arrived at Gran Pulse I just started exploring and looking for treasure spheres. I just kept on killing weaker monsters that I encountered along the way i.e. Gorgonopsids, Adroas, etc. Then I started doing the Cie'th Stone missions, did missions 1 - 14 if I remember it right, at least until I got the ability to ride chocobos. Using that, I collected more treasure spheres at areas that only chocobos can reach and also did a little of bit of treasure digging. The first one I found was a Gold Nugget which sells for 60k :D When I had enough of that I just proceeded with the main storyline.

So my advice would be just explore and do the cie'th stone missions. Based on my experience, I don't think there is really any need to stay in one spot farming for CP. I already have 4 roles maxed out for each character and I still have like 999,000 CP spoints unspent for each :eek: I find that you get more than enough CP for killing enemies you encounter along the main storyline. I did a quite a bit of Gil farming though when I got to Chapter 12 though, so I was getting a lot of CP at the same time too. It's like killing two birds with one stone as they say :D

Cheers mate, really helpful.

For anyone at the very start of Chapter 11 and finding themselves getting owned by alot of the monsters - I just found a nice place that gives me 2200 CP every minute. It's a corner on that a behemoth runs past. There's three rangda that you can pre-empt ever, just use relentless attack and you should dispatch them all in 24ish seconds, run away for 10 seconds, come back and repeat. Easiest CP you're going to get at this stage of the game I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

eZe^ wrote: »
    For anyone at the very start of Chapter 11 and finding themselves getting owned by alot of the monsters - I just found a nice place that gives me 2200 CP every minute. It's a corner on that a behemoth runs past. There's three rangda that you can pre-empt ever, just use relentless attack and you should dispatch them all in 24ish seconds, run away for 10 seconds, come back and repeat. Easiest CP you're going to get at this stage of the game I reckon.

I'm at this stage too and think I've found an even better spot. It's in the mines area (it's on the main storyline route, just beyond where the Behemoth and other large monster are fighting). Inside, run past the savepoint and kill the 3 Hoplites, then the other group of 2 just beyond. The 3 you just killed will have respawned and can easily be caught with a pre-emptive strike. Afterward just run back to the spot where the group of 2 were (they won't respawn), turn around and fight the 3 again.

Presuming you haven't done any grinding prior to this you should be able to down them all within 12 seconds by using Hope's uber Thundaga spell. After about half an hour of this I can now down them all in 7-10 seconds (Using Lightning/Hope/Fang - Rav/Rav/Com). About 2200 CP per fight with about 8 seconds between fights. Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

That's what I was planning to do, but as I mentioned in my other post I managed to get 4 Trapezohedrons to drop in under 3 hours so I thought getting 2 more shouldn't take me long. Boy was I wrong :pac:. Another 3 hours later and it wouldn't even drop 1 more lol.

I have both Kain's Lance and Nirvana and also more than enough money to upgrade either one to max lvl so I might try that later on.
    If you dismantle fangs ultimate weapon you get 3 trapz 8 elixers and other stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Have to say im loving the whole atmosphere on gran pulse. Running round doing missions is great. And that massive titan thing looming in the distance is cool.

Two good spots for grinding have already been mentioned....down towards the left as you first enter the massive field there are 4 rangda (owl yokes) circled around a treasure. You can hop the ledge and pre emptive strike them alot. Takes about 20 seconds for 2900 points.

The second is the behemoth and other big wolf thing fighting in the corner before the tunnels. You always get a pre emptive strike but make sure you take down the behemoth first. Takes about 30 seconds for 6600 points but make sure to wait untill your party start attacking the behemoth then use Launch so he cant transform and regain hp. Keep launching him and hel be dead in a second. I also use haste aswell.

Can anybody tell me does the crystarium expand any further after level 4? At the minute Skazh is the only member that can use haste but hes not the most powerfull in the gang.

And how do I ride the chocobos? I found the place last night but cant do anything with them??

Also what are these transberiziums you are all on about??

Hey Joe,
    Don't worry too much about all the Trapezoids etc for now, just keep playing and enjoying the game.

As for the Chrysanterum it will keep exapanding all the way till the end of the game and in fact the final expansion is only available AFTER the final boss.

So yeah, just keep playing and enjoying.

joe123 wrote: »
    And how do I ride the chocobos? I found the place last night but cant do anything with them??

The chocobo at the very back of that place is the ONLY one you can mount. There's a bunch of other chocobos running around, but you cannot mount those.

There's also chocobos scattered around gran pulse. It should be indicated by a feather icon on your map. There's one near the save point in the Northern Highplain for example.

You mean trapezohedron? It's the item you need to transform a weapon into it's ultimate form (tier 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

When should I start leveling up my weapons? I'm on chapter 11 and I tried leveling them up earlier in the game but it seemed a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Can anybody tell me does the crystarium expand any further after level 4? At the minute Skazh is the only member that can use haste but hes not the most powerfull in the gang.

Yup after the final boss.

You get to ride chocobos after stone number 16(iirc) You get the item gyshall reins.

Traps give you the ultimate weapon forms which is needed for the achievement.

I got so sick of this game i traded it in on saturday. To me it's the only game where I didn't care about any of the characters, it was just button presses with no real thought put into battles, it was just constantly build stagger, commando's,heal, repeat. With an occaional appearence by an eidelon or sab. So disappointed with Square enix as of late, While last oddessy was a good game it was boring with all the reading and had no characters you cared about, FF was my last hope for SE, It saddens me that they've basterdised the series for money since X-2 rather than make the games for gamers like they used to.
    Hey Joe,
    Don't worry too much about all the Trapezoids etc for now, just keep playing and enjoying the game.
    Corcs001 wrote: »
    When should I start leveling up my weapons? I'm on chapter 11 and I tried leveling them up earlier in the game but it seemed a bit pointless.
    Whenever you can, I only had tier 2 weapons and I found the last boss piss easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ok im after fighting dysler fella (looks like a bishop) for the second time and now ive an option to fly to cocoon again. If I get on the ship will I be able to get back to pulse anytime soon?

Also tried fighting one of those admantoise things their and got killed with the first stomp. Am I a long way off being anywhere ranked up enough to take the thing on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They can learn how to attack later on in the game. How far are you into the game? I can let you know my party and pardigrams if you can choose yer own team?

I'm on chapter 9 I think. I'm
    on the airship thing that sazh and stupid voice chick were held captive on and the others go to save them

It's just so frustrating having your healer stand there doing nothing and as soon as I change then back to a ravanger, some **** hits me for massive damage.
    Yeah, thanks. I found something annoying about the AI that hampered me here. Apparently if you have two commandos in your team (active in current paradigm), the secondary commando will not attack the same target as your lead commando. I had Lightning, Vanille and Fang (with Light and Fang as commandos for major stagger damage). But when I staggered the BK, Fang started attacking the dog and killed it... Also. I like using a paradigm with a Sentinal (fang), but can't use that in these sort of fights cause she just provokes everyone to her. I'll try it next time without two commandos, maybe swap one of em for another ravager or something. I'm past the plains now though, in the underground thingy, so I guess I'll just leave it for now and handle it later when I get back. There's pretty good CP there from the robots and they're piss easy to kill.

I've found that 2 ravangers and a commando are best for staggered enemies. While the ravangers can't do as much damage to the enemy they will all attack the staggered enemy this way. Plus ravangers greatly increase the damage multiplier to staggered enemies so for high hp enemies having two ravangers is much better than 2 commandos in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I was under the impression that once an enemy is staggered, that there's no particular combination of Rav / Com that will always give you the most damage.

The best combination for maximising staggered damage is the one that best favours the Magic / Strength stats of the people in your party, no? Or am I wrong?

Chapter 11
    Have just beaten Cid Raines. Was expecting to get annihilated by him but it ended up being not too difficult .... just took a while to grind him down

Still loving this game so far!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vokes wrote: »
    I was under the impression that once an enemy is staggered, that there's no particular combination of Rav / Com that will always give you the most damage.

The best combination for maximising staggered damage is the one that best favours the Magic / Strength stats of the people in your party, no? Or am I wrong?

Chapter 11
    Have just beaten Cid Raines. Was expecting to get annihilated by him but it ended up being not too difficult .... just took a while to grind him down

Still loving this game so far!

When you stagger an enemy their stagger gauge still increases when you attack them. When I had two ravangers and a commando in my party this would increase massively and my damage seemed to increase with it. On one particular enemy I'd start off at 250% and attacks were averaging 2000ish from my commando. Near the end of the stagger stage, the gauge would be at 600% and I was doing close to 6000 damage from my commando. It's hardly scientific and I haven't seen any other proof or any official line but it my case it does indeed seem that the percentage on the stagger gauge relates to damage.

If this is the case then more ravangers will increase that gauge quicker meaning that your damage starts increasing exponentially and towards the end of the stagger you'll be doing massive damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ok im after fighting dysler fella (looks like a bishop) for the second time and now ive an option to fly to cocoon again. If I get on the ship will I be able to get back to pulse anytime soon?

You will be back. Chapter 13.
    Also tried fighting one of those admantoise things their and got killed with the first stomp. Am I a long way off being anywhere ranked up enough to take the thing on?

You will get stronger...it takes two stomps for them to kill me.:p

Advertisement