Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIII - First Impressions *probable spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished it there sunday, so where's a good place to level up on CP? I'm determined to kill an adamantoise but HP on some of the chars is too low at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

If you finished the story then your most likely strong enough to kill adamantoises using the "death" method. I farmed the adamantoise in Eden for a few hours before finishing up the main storyline, so you should have no problems with it. Or alternatively you can farm the adamantortoise near the save point in Archylte Steppe Eastern Tors. They both give the same amount of CP (40K), and also the same drops but the adamantortoise is much weaker.

You should try to complete mission 55 first though so you get the Growth Egg. With it you'll get 80K CP per kill and get Platinum Ingots/Trapezohedrons at the same time to upgrade your weapons. I maxed out my Crystarium long before I even had enough gil to upgrade my tier 3 weapons to their max lvl so it's better to be farming mobs that drop high value items as well.

Trying to bump up my HP(CP) to take on the admantoise(hence the levelling up need), only about 11K HP at moment, with sazh and snow a few thousand more and of course hope just breaking the 10K.

Tried 55 last night, that was a waste of an hour, went with the death, 20 casts was the most i got before those little gits made sh1t of me. I particualryl loved the way he'd cast his strong attack and immediately all the little feckers would attack my leader before before they could cure. will give it a go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ya Neochu is a real bitch to beat without cheating. You have to be really maxed out or close to it to take him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Memnoch wrote: »
    ya Neochu is a real bitch to beat without cheating. You have to be really maxed out or close to it to take him on.
    Cheating? (ie: death?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Trying to bump up my HP(CP) to take on the admantoise(hence the levelling up need), only about 11K HP at moment, with sazh and snow a few thousand more and of course hope just breaking the 10K.

Tried 55 last night, that was a waste of an hour, went with the death, 20 casts was the most i got before those little gits made sh1t of me. I particualryl loved the way he'd cast his strong attack and immediately all the little feckers would attack my leader before before they could cure. will give it a go again.
    enter the battle with a sentinal(the tank guys) a medic and you as vanille, might give you a better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Memnoch wrote: »

If you're maxed out or close to it, then the Growth Egg won't be of much use anymore so it's better to get it as early as possible.

@ AnCapaillMor: It took me more than an hour as well for death to finally land. Just keep at it and it will land eventually.

enter the battle with a sentinal(the tank guys) a medic and you as vanille, might give you a better chance

Yeah thats my initial stratedgy, i throw on the defensive shroud too, and summon hector when it gets bad, reading up death has a 1% chance, so yeah i'll keep on trying(have the 2nd level of belladona wand maxed out so maybe that will bump up the death chances). only reason i stopped at the end was it was time for the Arsenal\Barca match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished the game (literally) a few minutes ago. Phew, the
    second part of the final boss
    was a nightmare! Took me about three or four tries.

Overall, in hindsight it was a pretty good game, and (in my opinion) a dramatic improvement over FF XII. In many ways, it was actually the antithesis of its predecessor, with its very character-focused narrative, extreme lack of side quests, linearity and fast-paced battle system...

The story was - well, it was ok; pretty good I guess. It definitely succeeded in being very personal and character-focused. I found myself really warming to the characters, which was a plus. On the other hand, the more "epic" side of things, along with the mythology of Cocoon/Pulse and so on, was very much neglected and pretty unsatisfying. The lack of a decent villain is also a very obvious flaw. Unlike in FF X, the game never really shows you what it's like to live in Cocoon or anything like that, which is disappointing. That, coupled with the alarming linearity of the game, makes the entire world of FF XIII seem very artificial and not like a real world at all, and you can't really immerse yourself in the game like you would in Spira or Ivalice. The entirety of Cocoon feels like a giant, pretty corridor. But the ending was very good, I think, and the story was pretty good overall despite its shortcomings.

Battle system was great; I can't remember the last time I had so much fun battling in a Final Fantasy game. It's also fairly difficult, which is a plus.

Of course, the graphics are mind-blowing, and the music's not bad, although not a patch on the old games either.

I think I might have to think a while before making my mind up completely on this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Finished the game (literally) a few minutes ago. Phew, the
    second part of the final boss
    was a nightmare! Took me about three or four tries.
    He random casts death with a 50% chance of killing a character, of course if its the leader then its game over. Terrible design in my books, and I`m really glad I read a guide that told me to get a 60% death resistance item for the party leader, it made the fight super easy, but I`ll take that over random poxy luck any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Fast killing Adamantoise - Late end game farming. I've got it down to 1 min 20-25 seconds. This is useful to help get a higer score when farming for Plat Ingots very late game. And much more reliable than the 'death,' method. Ofc you might need to start out with the death method before you get to this stage.
    You will need.

Team - Fang, Hope, Lightening

High level Ultimate weapons on all of the above. I had the Lionheart upgrade for lightening, Bladed Lance upgrade for Fang and the Hawkeye upgrade for Hope.

Strong accessories - A couple of power gloves for Fang, and also lightening + collecter's catalog (I prefer to leave out the connoseurs catalog since I don't really want trapezs, just plat ingots the extra accessory slot is quite useful)

I don't use too many defensive accessories, maybe 1 per char max, and not even that at this stage.

Obviously maxed out crystarum in the main roles, and a bit in the others also helps.

Genji glove is essential to get the kill time down to a good level. Put this on Fang.

Hope should be the team leader and the char you control.

Start out with Protection Paradigm - Hope - Syn, Lightening - Medic, Fang - Sentinal. (you'll need at least 3 TP for summon before the fight).

Use auto-support at the start to Haste all three.
    Then manually cast Bravery + Faith on all three. You can cast the two together for each char and then use ability > repeat to speed up the process.

As soon as this is done, switch to Smart Bomb. With Hope and Lightening as RAVs and Fang as SAB.

Summon Alexander. Skip the sequence and use his Ultimate move straight away to get rid of him.

Then build chain gauge. Usually you'll hit stagger with a bunch of debuffs from Fang on him. As it staggers, switch to Aggression, with Hope as Rav and Light and Fang as Commandos.

Pummel him till he dies, should be fast. if you aren't killing him before he stands up then your chars/weapons/accessories aren't strong enough. I'm doing 70-99k damage with lightening and 150k+ damage with Fang as the stagger bonus reaches 999. (Still have to upgrade her power gloves).

If you're farming in Edenhall go kill a few soldiers (Aggression Paradigm with Fang as leader) and reload the area by going into the next area and back out. (as suggested earlier in this thread by someone). Or reload your save if you didn't get an item.

This is only really useful for those looking to max out their items late game for quick and efficient farming.

With the normal tactic I was killing it in about 2:20 or so and scoring around the 18k mark. Needed to shave off extra seconds to maximize the score as drop rate was being quite pissy. This is as a result of upgrading my crystarium and the time limit for killing adamantoise going down to the 15:30ish mark. Hope this helps those farming

imitation wrote: »
    He random casts death with a 50% chance of killing a character, of course if its the leader then its game over. Terrible design in my books, and I`m really glad I read a guide that told me to get a 60% death resistance item for the party leader, it made the fight super easy, but I`ll take that over random poxy luck any day
    Yeah, unfortunately I didn't read up on the boss beforehand so I had no idea! Really frustrating!... And I just didn't want to have to go back and beat Barthandelus again, so I just kept trying... I even rearranged my party and redid all my paradigms :o

A quick stop at gamefaqs.com revealed that Orphan is really vulnerable to Poison. If you can get it to take effect, it'll wipe out a lot of the boss's HP very quickly. After that, I used the Rav/Rav/Rav paradigm to Stagger the boss as quickly as possible, and I beat him without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,928 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

looking for a bit of advice. Got to Grnd Pulse a while back and have just been kicking enemy ass for ages. Have all my characters at level 4 for their core styles with all maxed out.

I can either continue playing and building up the other styles for each charactor (as the crystarium thing isn't allowing me to go beyond level four yet) or continue on the game itself so that it opens up the crystarium again.

What is the best way to go really? If I continue on the storyline so the crystarium opens up again will I get a chance to farm CP again like you can at the begining of chapter 11 or does the game go linear again?

looking for a bit of advice. Got to Grnd Pulse a while back and have just been kicking enemy ass for ages. Have all my characters at level 4 for their core styles with all maxed out.

I can either continue playing and building up the other styles for each charactor (as the crystarium thing isn't allowing me to go beyond level four yet) or continue on the game itself so that it opens up the crystarium again.

What is the best way to go really? If I continue on the storyline so the crystarium opens up again will I get a chance to farm CP again like you can at the begining of chapter 11 or does the game go linear again?

To be honest there's not much point developing your characters in the three roles they aren't naturally good at - it's a waste of CP, because you have to spend a lot for very little reward. You're probably better off just stockpiling any excess CP you have left; the game will let you go above level 4 once you've finished Chapter 11. At this stage, you'll annihilate the bosses in Ch. 11 so don't worry too much from that point of view.

As you'll soon find out, after Ch.11 the game becomes very linear again for the remainder. You can still get a fair bit of CP, but there probably isn't any point doing so unless you intend to finish all the missions.

Save your CP for the next time it opens up. The additional trees are massively expensive CP wise and there for post game completionists. The game will go linear once again once you depart Gran Pulse, but you are given the opportunity to return before the end boss. Once you finish and have watched the credits you can resave once again. You`ll also unlock the final crystarium level after the end boss.

Taking out adamantoise for fun now. They've really scrimped on the gil in this. Still waiting to get a trapathingy catalyst. Have panddora spear upgraded and ready to dismantle into 3 trapa's once i get one. Has anyone got one to drop?

The fact that i don't have one yet is kinda my own fault, i've upgraded pretty much every accesory for 4 party memebers, ie. 5 power gloves*, 4 weirding glyphs* etc. 3 marks\missions left to go. And level 3 on the 2nd of the secondary roles.

BTW the cactaurs in D2 in the fault warrens just throw ribbons at you. Summon the eidolon and go straight to gestalt to pull the sepcial move off. Should kill em all, if not it'll stagger em and you'll take all ut with your 5 attacks. got 2 off the first bunch and 1 off the 2nd. Its not that great though, its only resillience 20%(upgradable to 25%).

One more thing with shroud scavenger, if you no star a battle, it dramactically increases the chance of a shroud drop.

Gah i knew i forgot something, when do the long gui's show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

The long gui appear when you accept or complete (not sure on which) the last mission from the circle of C'ieth stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im currently wandering around pulse and have cleared the way to the chocobos so that they are now wandering the plains.I cant get riding them though,it says in the manual approach and press A but nowt happens for me,they just run away.Do I need to collect a particular item/charm before I can ride them or did I just miss something simple?

You'll need to do mission 14 to get gyshal reins.

Youtube vid of where stone is and th mission itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39luPv5nlI

Are there anymore bits of story to be found on gran pulse like you get when you do mission 14 ?

• Advertisement

Not much of a story but there's the fault warrens, you'd want to be finished the game and have fairly decent levels for the last few guys in it.

Well finally 80 odd adamantoise killed, 6 million+ gil later, i finally got a trapa-thingy. Dude in eden seems to be the best for plat ingots, spent the last 3 nights there around 2 hours a night killing him to try the trapathingy catalyst. no luck went from 400K to 6m gill tho. So finally gave up went back i needed some scalerite from the sacrifices, got 3 and went back to pulse. Fought one of the toises and got a trappa. fought another 2 and got a ingot and another trappathingy, typical.

I've gotten 5 Trapezohedrons in the same timeframe, but only about 2.5 million gil.

Anyone go up aginast the long gui's yet. bloody hell they're tough. Possible tho with the vanille 999,999 death trick. Sha long are tougher because the summon does'nt knock em down like the logn gui.

I need to look up the Death glitch actually..

Also, if any of you are REALLY stuck for a Trap, dismantle an upgraded Genji Glove.

PJTierney wrote: »
    I need to look up the Death glitch actually..

Also, if any of you are REALLY stuck for a Trap, dismantle an upgraded Genji Glove.
    It's not a glitch...it's just another way ff has been dumbed down, like the way you can use poinon and poison alone to win the battle against yer man for the gold watch.

Dismantelling fangs ultimate weapon gives you 3, an elixer and other stuff

Same with Vanille altho the weapon has to have been made from certain base weapons, same applies to fang. There's only 3 genji's and they come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

It's not a glitch...it's just another way ff has been dumbed down, like the way you can use poinon and poison alone to win the battle against yer man for the gold watch.
    So a magic attack that has existed in other FF games and other JRPGs, which retains it's low success rate, is an example of 'dumbing down'...? If you say so. :pac:

If anything it represents a 'dumbing down' of players who would rather spam Death for an hour than try and come up with a more original strategy. No offense to anyone who has tried this method, but I'm sure we can agree it is a cheap way to kill them and most of the people who I see on forums discussing this strategy are doing so for trophy hunting reasons.

GothPunk wrote: »
    So a magic attack that has existed in other FF games and other JRPGs, which retains it's low success rate, is an example of 'dumbing down'...? If you say so. :pac:
    a low success rate it's a fairly high one in comparrison especially against tougher battles, in other previous games how often have you gone to a really hard battle only to spam death??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

a low success rate it's a fairly high one in comparrison especially against tougher battles, in other previous games how often have you gone to a really hard battle only to spam death??
    I call a 1% base rate of success small, yes. I don't see how bringing FF in line with other JRPGs, where status debuffs actually do something and add to your strategy, is a sign of 'dumbing down'. Plenty of enemies and bosses in FFXIII are immune to debuffs, including Death, which is comparable to both previous FF games and other JRPGs.

• Advertisement

The method we're on about is not hit and hope, in this game debuff attacks actually damage as well, pretty minimal. death does a moderate amount of damage, debuffing the crap out of someone, staggering him and getting his chain gauge to 999 does major damage. Long gui's are immune to death, by casting death and switching to paradigm with vanille as commando before death lands, you can do 999,999 damage. Vanille has to have around 2300 magic, and the long gui has to be staggered, the higher the chain gauge the more likely you're to land the 999,999. Seriously tho you needed something aginst them, they are ridiculous. Ultima followed by a stamp was just unfair. Have'nt tried the 999,999 death thing on anything else apart from adamantoises(it worked). Sazhs blitz attack does awesome damage on adamantoises too, basically all the blitz shots hit the 1 target.

Advertisement