Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXIII - First Impressions *probable spoilers*

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The method we're on about is not hit and hope, in this game debuff attacks actually damage as well, pretty minimal. death does a moderate amount of damage, debuffing the crap out of someone, staggering him and getting his chain gauge to 999 does major damage.
    I see that as the right way to use death. However, there are people on forums who are literally just spamming Death hoping for the one hit KO. Use of Death in this way apparently represents a 'dumbing down' of FF games, a notion I disagree with.
    Long gui's are immune to death, by casting death and switching to paradigm with vanille as commando before death lands, you can do 999,999 damage. Vanille has to have around 2300 magic, and the long gui has to be staggered, the higher the chain gauge the more likely you're to land the 999,999. Seriously tho you needed something aginst them, they are ridiculous. Ultima followed by a stamp was just unfair. Have'nt tried the 999,999 death thing on anything else apart from adamantoises(it worked). Sazhs blitz attack does awesome damage on adamantoises too, basically all the blitz shots hit the 1 target.
    The Vanille Death trick is just that, a trick, a glitch, an exploit. It doesn't represent a dumbing down of FF any more than the Magic Pot + Elixir trick in FFVII represented a dumbing down of FF. And besides, the trick with Vanille doesn't even work every time! Thanks for the full explanation as it demonstrates that you really have to work at it to get the trick to work in the first place. I think some people are just jumping at any opportunity to find fault with the game.

Sazh's Blitz attack is my favourite, I found it was especially great during Chapter 11 against those Pulse Gladiator things who were in groups of 5 or 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I could do with a little help.

I'm on chapter 11, on the second Cie'th mission, and either the game has reached a sudden difficulty spike, or I haven't levelled up enough.

Just as a reference, most of my characters are just under the 2000 HP mark, with the weaker ones (Vanille and Hope) at around 1600.

Anyone know of any good places for grinding? Preferably with relatively easy enemies (the behemoths seem out of my league).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

What I found best while at that level was to try and get pre-emptive strikes on the behemoths.They are relatively easy to sneak up on and get a handy stagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

nedtheshed wrote: »
    What I found best while at that level was to try and get pre-emptive strikes on the behemoths.They are relatively easy to sneak up on and get a handy stagger.

Note... If using this method, launch the thing and don't let him land.
    Com/Com/Rav is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Also, summoning Bahamut will take a huge chunk of the Behemoth's health, especially if you can get the Stagger meter up to 999%. Obviously, Fang will have to be your party leader to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Thanks for the tips!

By the way, does anyone know of a good way to make some gil? I've heard adamantoises drop some valuable items, but I'm not quite ready for that yet :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Thanks for the tips!

By the way, does anyone know of a good way to make some gil? I've heard adamantoises drop some valuable items, but I'm not quite ready for that yet :D.

Even taking out the Adamantoises', accumulating gil will take a lot of effort.
    I'm farming gil in the Leviathon Plaza, taking out the resident Adamantoise and the credit/incentive chips (every little helps) off the soldiers and it is painfully slow.
    Levelling up weapons/accessories costs a LARGE fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, why am I a girl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Jazzy wrote: »
    um, why am I a girl ?

Dude...think you might have the wrong forum...awkward >_>

vanille must die. shes worse then f**kin rikku in ffx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the_porkchop

haha a friend of mine creams his drawers over Alexander :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

nearly finish the chapter 11 now(beating the pope boss) and i cant help but search around more about what do people think of this godly awful-est rpg that i have come across in my entire gaming life :pac: and this dude kinda put together nicely all my words :

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/03/13_reasons_i_hate_final_fantasy_xiii.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

seraphimvc wrote: »
    this lady gamer kinda put together nicely all my words
    13 Reasons I Hate Final Fantasy XIII
    By Rob Bricken

Eh Rob Bricken is a chick?

PS great article, love that site

wops sorry lol was meant to say topless robot dunno what hapenned to the brain :p

another big thing i think he left out abit tho: the music. This FF simply feels soulless with the ****ty music. and i am sure there are some music from ff10....disgrace stuff. such a pity since this FF is defo the prettiest rpg i have ever seen. so much potential!!!!

edit:checked wiki, not surprise that there is no Nobuo involved for the music....and there is a FF13-PLUS (assuming thats the international version??)wtf?!

definitely the prettiest ending i ever seen. but sadly it is also the sh!ttiest one in the whole ff series. this game lack of too many things to make it a proper FF game. good job square enix for making feel bad for spending 60hours on this game. maybe i should really move on from my once devoted love to FF.

judging from the amount of money and luck( to get the trapozolone that ridiculous expensive component can drop from the turtle) to get all the ultimate weapons/accessories, i believe those players will spend at least another 60 hours on this sh!t. NO FCKING WAY i will do that.

(i spent 2 hours to get one trapocolon and found out i still need massive amout of money to get one fcking ultimate weapon done.:()

im at the end of the game

am dissapoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I started playing this last week and am really starting to hate it. It's really boring and the battle sytem is bugging me. It's becoming a chore to play.

I just spent half an hour fighting a boss only for him to kill my main character when i had him on the point of death giving me a game over.:mad:

I'm seriously considering just giving up on it and trading it in.

It's a shame really because it's the first time i've found myself hating a FF game.

I started playing this last week and am really starting to hate it. It's really boring and the battle sytem is bugging me. It's becoming a chore to play.

I just spent half an hour fighting a boss only for him to kill my main character when i had him on the point of death giving me a game over.:mad:

I'm seriously considering just giving up on it and trading it in.

It's a shame really because it's the first time i've found myself hating a FF game.
    the battle system has so much potential in it tho, it just needs more time to beta-test/balance fixing it. there is a small trick i found in this system that is kinda broken if you abuse it in the early chapters of the game - the projectile magic has longer casting animation time(fire,auro) thus a bad thing in this ACTIVE battle system based on the ATP slot consumption caused' the longer animation time the slower your ATP slots get recharge. spam the target localised spell like lighting......and yes,i think different character has slightly different casting animation time too...

ff13 main protagonist the female cloud is named Lighting for a reason then :pac: and she turned out to be my most likable character in the end(note: i dont usually say 'i like' FF characters, i love them). ff13 is indeed the first FF that i feel like i should just give it up halfway, it is unbearably nonsense/boring at so many points...how did i keep going on to finish it i have no idea...btw

Vanille MUST DIE!hate the characters in this game so much lol

This wasn't my favorite of the FF games but i wouldn't say i hated it. Unlike the other FF's though, i didn't find myself completely captivated by the world or characters within.

The battle system did have a lot of potential but did anyone else feel the AI was maybe doing a little too much? I didn't find myself getting excited because i got some new spells, was very hard to experiment with them. If there was maybe a gambit system were you can line up what actions preformed by support party. I do however like that they were trying to play with the job system...i loved the job system in FFV!!!

The star system was really annoying and anything but rpg...felt more like it belonged in a DMC game.

I did really enjoy the work that went into designing the world, as corridor like it may have been. I mean sometimes i just had to stop and swing the camera fully around...breathtaking stuff!!!

I think maybe some people had their hopes up too much for this game. I dont think its as bad as most players are making out. They will never be like the old ps1 games again. These games are aimed at young Japanese girls mainly...as far as i know this game was a success with record sells ^_^

I look forward to playing versus XIII.

the character that you controlled die = game over is actually a whole new level of stupidity. i really thought ff12's offline rpg gambit system is the worst thing i have ever seen(not because its system structure but because it made me feel like the game is playing itself for me) - until we have this ff13 system...

the paradigm and stagger system is a refreshing touch indeed, but you CANT control the other two characters' actions,wtf?? whats the point then?? my characters' actions are more limited than ever that i can do in any other game existed on earth. this system limited the player's imagination and flexibility to decide what strategy to use for the fight, which is why
    1.the eidolons/bosses battles are so retarded (there is only one and only one exact fcking way to defeat some eidolon/boss),
    2.the chances of Game Over is retardedly high(i am speaking as a player who finished many 'hardcore' game that designed to make you game over like ninjagaiden, Sega's Shinobi hardmode or up to the latest one Bayonetta non-stop climax mode),
    3.and the amount of Hp of some common monsters that you can encounter early in the game is so retardedly high caused they want you to stagger the monster D: and good news,the highest physical damage output commander job do sh!t in staggering the monster!so we have to put our **** magic stat character to use magic in order to win the battle!!!(or the weird low elemental physical damage attack in some case)

that may sound bad but it is worse when comes to real battle:
    1.the AI controlled Tank(Sentinal Job) wont tank in the right time so your fragile magic caster die by 1 hit from the boss D:
    2.the AI controlled Healer wont heal the right character in the right time.OMFG!i know fang is dying at 100/1000 hp but please fcking heal me who will die first caused' the boss is doing combo/area damage to my 400/1000 hp!!caused' if i am dead the game = over??!!
    3.and many other situation like AI supporter wont cast the right buff tp the right person, give faith to physical attacker???bravery to Vanille???
    imagine that happen in MMORPG.if you wanna know more about what can the retarded AI do - PLEASE buy FF13.

so much frustration when i remember this!!!

i seriously think ff12's gambit is so much better than this paradigm sh!t, at least i setup my characters dont act like a retard.oh and the crystalium thing is pure shamelessly idiotic - what is it the point of that??is it fun to do something that any RPG automatically do it for you? and dont me get started on that nonsense after battle report, rating???starssssss???

it is indeed the prettiest game i ve ever seen so far. i was awed by gran pulse tbh. but other than that,man, this is a sad page in gaming history.

• Advertisement

oh and the crystalium thing is pure shamelessly idiotic - what is it the point of that??is it fun to do something that any RPG automatically do it for you? and dont me get started on that nonsense after battle report, rating???starssssss???

I know!!! The crystalium was ment to be there to allow you to choose what job to level up for which party member...which would be cool if it worked like that! Instead they cap off the crystalium so you have no choice but to fully level the job and whatever little amount they allow you to. There was no strategy to it and felt like a chore.

I get the feeling this game was ment to be alot more involving but someone in square-enix went...no, they wont get it. Dumb it down...a little further...a little further...all the way down to here! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

the character that you controlled die = game over is actually a whole new level of stupidity. i really thought ff12's offline rpg gambit system is the worst thing i have ever seen(not because its system structure but because it made me feel like the game is playing itself for me) - until we have this ff13 system...

This is actually the most ridiculous thing in the game for me. If an enemy launches a strong attack against my main character and kills them it's instant game over. A simple fix would have been to have an AI character use a Phoenix Down (provided you have them) on the main and that would remove this ridiculous problem.

The HP levels of some monsters and bosses is incredibly high as well and that makes the battles a lot longer and thus makes them boring.

I do actually think the paradigm system has potential if it were used in early FF style battles where you can control the actions of each character but in it's FF13 form it does'nt really realize the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

this was an awful game and an insult to the series. the pulse section was the only decent part of the game. even after beating the last boss which again like the past few games was an absolute joke, i went to finish the last of the ci'eth missions but i gave up cos the battles are just so bloody dull and when i realised how much grinding would be involved to complete them all i said **** that and have not touched the game since and never will. my once beloved series truly is dead :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Well I just picked this up and I'm in a few hours. Reading this thread has given me major buyer's remorse.

So basically.. it never gets good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Play it and make your own opinion Mindkiller, its te best way! :)

Personally, I'm not a fan, but there are some excellent qualities to it, and worth giving it a chance. You may end up loving it!

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Well I just picked this up and I'm in a few hours. Reading this thread has given me major buyer's remorse.

the pulse section is really good but you have to endure 40 hours of mind numbing tedium to get there.

Mindkiller wrote: »

i am sure everyone will enjoy the safari park of gran pulse :pac: but it will take you many hours to get there :D i think as a rpg lover ff13 is a game that you have to try it out, for me it made me realise why i love FF in the first place heh.

just remember to keep spamming lighting magic instead of the pressing the AUTO battle button, it makes the staggering quicker. other than that, try not to hate Snow and Vanille too much :P

yeah so I just finished it. umm, what happened? Im still unsure what was going on in the story.

quite easily the worst final fantasy game ive played.. and ive played them all :) well, not the one on the gameboy or 11.

boring combat,
    no airships, no villages, no real shops, fuk all sidequests (they are just all lumped into those missions that I didnt give a toss about and skipped as they seemed booorrrrrriiing), no likeable characters, no memorable other characters, story seemed to smell like bullsh1t to me.
    pretty much a big waste of time. ah well, live and learn

Jazzy wrote: »
    yeah so I just finished it. umm, what happened? Im still unsure what was going on in the story.

QUOTE]

i fully understood the story but its still boring as ****e. so you are not missing anything. the story had potential but it was wasted with terrible cliched dialogue and annoying characters. plus one of the great things about classic FF games was how memorable the villains were. a great hero needs a great villain to really stand out and in 13 there is no time spent on developing the villains and when you do fight them it means nothing. think back to FF7, we know sephiroth was awesome but even the likes of the turks were built up from the start to be and when you finally got to battle them it meant something. there is none of that in 13 and its one of the ways the series has lost its way IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement