Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first bike?

• 09-03-2010 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hey guys. So I've been wanting to get a bike for years but age and money have held me back. I'm 18, although I'll prob be 19 by the time I buy a bike, I live in Dublin and I have absolutely no experience on a motorbike never even sat on one. I'm just looking for advice for beginners on what gear, bikes, lessons, insurance etc. to get.

I don't know much about bikes but from what I have read from other threads here is that it would be best to get a 125cc bike? I've been looking them up and I like the Honda NSR models. What about something along these lines:
    (http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1125303)

I'm open to opinions on other bikes of this style that I could get as a first bike so feel free. What kind of insurance would I be looking at with that kind of bike? And what kind of gear should I be looking at? I definitely don't want to skimp on the gear so I'd be looking for something decent.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Take a look at this thread, it should answer most of your questions.

And €1900 seems a bit expensive for that bike, click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Take a look at this thread, it should answer most of your questions.

And €1900 seems a bit expensive for that bike, click

Yeah it does, I only really used it as an example for the type of bike not price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

an nsr or something similar wouldn't be the best thing to learn on imo. you should look at something more comfortable so you can concentrate on getting used to riding rather than how sore your wrists feel. :D

something like a 250/400 bandit or xjr? much easier to sell on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

because you live in dublin and are quite young you'll find it hard to get insured on a sports 125, you might have to settle for something less sporty for now... eg. TDR 125 or a Varadero 125?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Iforgot

jameshayes wrote: »
    because you live in dublin and are quite young you'll find it hard to get insured on a sports 125, you might have to settle for something less sporty for now... eg. TDR 125 or a Varadero 125?

+1 ... TDR and Vara would be great options and great to learn on ... depending on your budget have a look at factory restricted bandits or SV's ... big bike look and feel with low group insurance :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

jameshayes wrote: »

nay, Yamaha YBR 125, great learner bikes, €2550 brand new from dealers. They can take a good amount of abuse and still keep running, the new fuel injected versions are rock solid. although you'd struggle to stay above 100kph.
    The brakes are lacking in power, but it'll help you learn to plan ahead and to take your time riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

THis may help:

http://bikeireland.blogspot.com/

BTW:the bike in it is for sale now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

an nsr or something similar wouldn't be the best thing to learn on imo. you should look at something more comfortable so you can concentrate on getting used to riding rather than how sore your wrists feel. :D

something like a 250/400 bandit or xjr? much easier to sell on too.

couldn';t disagree more

if you want to ride sports bikes then you ned to learn on them its harder to ride a sports bike so you won't engoy the change in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 tinkerspony

Hi Folks could you tell me if it is required to wear a "L" front and rear when on a learner permit for a motorcycle. Is it a road traffic offence not to wear them and if so what is the penalty e.g. penalty points or a fine. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hi Folks could you tell me if it is required to wear a "L" front and rear when on a learner permit for a motorcycle. Is it a road traffic offence not to wear them and if so what is the penalty e.g. penalty points or a fine. Thanks in advance.

yes you need to wear a reflective vest with the L on the front and back... not required to stick them to the bike like the UK tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Does anyone else find drivers actually being more aggressive towards you when wearing the L vest? (which I do all the time of course.)

Today I had two cars in short succession itching to overtake me (I was going at the speed limit in an 80kph zone, and it's not a great stretch of road) tailgating me, so I moved in to the left of my lane a little to let them pass rather than have them hovering so close or speed up to try and negate the chances of them slamming into me if I had to stop quickly)

When they did they then promptly slowed down to less than the speed I was doing.

I swear the L vest feels like a red rag to some car drivers at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Never bothered with high viz / L plates. Cars take the p1ss enough as it is, imagine what they'd be like if they thought you were only a learner :(

Advertisement