Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign on strike?

• 09-03-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Just back from social welfare office where I was supposed to sign on today. Turns out they were closed due to industrial strike! Just wondering does anyone know what happens now? Do we try to sign on tomorrow? I'm in the Waterford area.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

from http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0309/breaking8.html

Social welfare offices in Cork city, Waterford and Coolock in Dublin will be closed to the public all day today as part of the industrial action. The Passport Offices in Dublin and Cork are likely to be closed to the public this afternoon.

Don't know if you should try to sign tomorrow. Assume there wasn't any such notice on the door of the office? Things are really going to a new depth of hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Thanks balagan, no notice about re-opening etc. on the door, just we are closed due to industrial action. Crazy that they are taking they're problems with the big man out on the little man! Typical. Oh well suppose there's no point in ringing anyone either with they're ban on answering calls.
    Someone employ me please!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm trying to ring my local office in Dublin 2 and they don't seem
    to be answering their phones. I'm assuming this is part of their
    "go slow/work to rule" ?

Shiny wrote: »
    I'm trying to ring my local office in Dublin 2 and they don't seem
    to be answering their phones. I'm assuming this is part of their
    "go slow/work to rule" ?
    No hope of an answer Shiny, not with their ban on phone calls :rolleyes:
    Slackers! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

When I went up a couple of weeks ago they were on strike and there was a notice saying to just sign on again next month as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Clondalkin offices closed due to industrial action this afternoon with no warning! If you were meant to sign on this afternoon, now it says Monday 15th March 2-3.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

Not answering phones seems to be part of normal operating procedure in Ennis. Rang repeatedly every day for two weeks recently and no answer. Got to the stage where the phone was just picked up and replaced immediately and this was before so called 'go slow'. Challenged them on it when I eventually called in ( a lot of good that did!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Clondalkin offices closed due to industrial action this afternoon with no warning! If you were meant to sign on this afternoon, now it says Monday 15th March 2-3.30pm

It seems there are far more offices actually closed than was anticipated in papers this morning.

IrishTonyO wrote: »

Thought it was just Cork and Waterford. Its crazy if they keep going like this, so unfair on everyone showing up to sign on and then find a notice on the door with no explanation. The Waterford office on the Cork Rd said nothing about rescheduling the sign on date missed today. Don't know how anyone is supposed to find out any info on it all. The news seems pretty unaware of exactly whats going on. Looks like it all happened over night. Anyone reckon our payments will be effected?

breedie and Shiny, I'm with ye on the answer phones problem, don't know why they bothered implementing a ban as they never bother to pick up the phones any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Closed in Tullamore as well - with a note saying something to the effect of "If you were due to sign on today, please ensure you sign on before today". Grammatically better, but essentially that's what it said.

Tried calling them beforehand to find out what the situation would be, but strike or no strike, work to rule or not, Tullamore office NEVER answers the phone. I've yet to get through to anyone there, though I've tried calling them at various times over the last few months. Always rings out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Anyone know what the story with this is? When can we sign? Don't fancy spending more money getting in and out of town to find i can't sign on again...

pinksoir wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story with this is? When can we sign? Don't fancy spending more money getting in and out of town to find i can't sign on again...

Seems to vary from office to office to be honest. Getting ready to go into the Waterford office and ask now. People on cork were told they were excused until April. Other places were told next week so it honestly looks like a trip in is necessary seen as they don't have the manners to answer the phones or post out information to people. :o

Went in there, re opened at 2 had to queue at my usual hatch and give in my card noted down my number and said sign on next on 6th April so looks like ye all have to go in lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Cheers.

Advertisement