Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Company 2 Performance Review

Options
  • 09-03-2010 11:26am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we can safely say that 95% of us really enjoy the game and will be playing it for months to come. But as we all know, its not the best optimized game out there.

Techspot has provided an in-depth review of GPU and CPU scaling for bad company 2

http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-company2-performance/

Also, can people report their PC specs and average FPS, and then change the settings for dx9 and post the FPS for that? A lot of people are reporting a nice 25% boost in FPS in dx9 without any noticeable loss in graphics quality.

Will report mine when I get home from work and give it a whirl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

4870 512mb
    4gb ram

1920*1080
    All settings on high and MSAA on 2x and AA on 1x.

Runs like a dream get around 50 fps average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

50fps isnt really a dream tbh

60+ it needs to be ftw, I'd lower my GFX and settings until I averaged around 60fps at least.
    Running at high atm with no noticeable lag, but will need to check FPS to confirm

Also cherry, whats the suggested method for getting the FPS ? Not a fan of fraps, never seems to be accurate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SeantheMan wrote: »

60+ it needs to be ftw

Also cherry, whats the suggested method for getting the FPS ? Not a fan of fraps, never seems to be accurate

heh, well i normally use xfire's overlay in-game. Never found Fraps to be inaccurate though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well after having a hassle free experience since launch, minus the odd PB kick had an absolute nightmare last night with the game CTD (Crashing to Desktop) about 5 times in 2 hours...and yes you do lose the points, you have to finish the round to get the points. I had about 5000+ lost pts.... FCUKin raging I was.

I honestly dont know if I should run the game in a different DX mode not for performance reason but for stability reasons. I have it set to DX11, Maybe I am over reacting here but if it happens again I am gonna launch a full scale investigation BIG TIME.

There are so many conflicting theories going around. Disable steam in game chat is one, punkbuster is another main one.

But how it can go from Stable as a rock to CTD over night is fuc.kin baffling me. Nothing has changed, I un installed ATi CCC 10.2 and reverted back to 10.1 just to see.....

I have V Sync enable all the time but I never looked to see what FPS I am getting but its minimum 60+ as I get no slowdown.

1920x1200
    16AF
    8AA
    Maxed Setting On All.
    V Sync Enabled (Cant stand that tearing look)

SeantheMan wrote: »

60+ it needs to be ftw, I'd lower my GFX and settings until I averaged around 60fps at least.
    Running at high atm with no noticeable lag, but will need to check FPS to confirm

25 fps is the dream so 50 is double the dream.

No point being greedy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

dreamers75 wrote: »
    25 fps is the dream so 50 is double the dream.
    No point being greedy :)

We all know about the human eye and the 25fps however your LCDs run at 60Hz and try 25 FPS on that it looks choppy. 50 FPS and plus is ok, especially for BFBC2. Even mad rig with i7 and such dont get above 80-90FPS.

^^^^ Sorry to burst the bubble mate but they do indeed go above 100FPS+ depends on the GPU not so much the CPU but you need both to be high end to get the best.....

I seen numerous reviews by DICE themselves incld the one above with 5870's or a 5970 getting well over 100+fps with an i7 920 clocked decently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ^^^^ Sorry to burst the bubble mate but they do indeed go above 100FPS+ depends on the GPU not so much the CPU but you need both to be high end to get the best.....

I seen reviews by techspot by DICE themselves on boards.ie with 5870's or a 5970 getting well over 100+fps with an i7 920 clocked decently.

its there on the link in the first post... lol

Yeah sorry Ghosty mate...I meant to put I seen numerous reviews inlcd you one...LMAO. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seasonic M12 700W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    4 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    windows 7 64 ultimate
    2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Not top spec but my framerate is fine in dx 10 at high res usually 60-90 fps ,the problem is im getting mosue lag until i lower the settings a bit.
    Ive dropped some detail etc and even though framerate is the same im now at a setting that seems to have sorted the mouse lag.
    Seems rather strange that dropping to settiings that dont give any real difference in framerate can sort the mouse lag i experience at higher settings.
    I scoured the EA BC2 forums and a few more.
    Its a known issue apparently that some users experience and one people with far better spec than i have are having to sacrifice eye candy to get smooth mouse input.

Fingers crossed they will address this soon.

After my own experiments to try sort the mouse lag i noticed very little difference between dx9 and dx10 visually.
    The only real difference is the no AA in dx 9, which is a real shame.

@ Cherryghost, yeah dx9 gives me a nice fps boost, maybe 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz overclocked from 2.00GHz (Can't remember the model number at the moment)

3GB Ram

512MB 9600GT slightly overclocked

Vista (Still haven't upgraded to 7 yet :eek:)

Pretty much smooth as butter, 50-60FPS on all high at 1028x1024 and 2xAA and 8xAF.

Very surprised that it runs so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Phenom 2 965
    4Gb OCZ Ram
    ATI 5850
    Onboard Sound :p

Runs perfectly with all settings maxed besides HBAO which is off.
    I will have a look later for the fps after i get home from college, but in the beta i was getting around 70fps i think. I dont the game is that badly optimised at all.

Dcully wrote: »
    Seasonic M12 700W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    4 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    windows 7 64 ultimate
    2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Not top spec but my framerate is fine in dx 10 at high res usually 60-90 fps ,the problem is im getting mosue lag until i lower the settings a bit.
    Ive dropped some detail etc and even though framerate is the same im now at a setting that seems to have sorted the mouse lag.
    Seems rather strange that dropping to settiings that dont give any real difference in framerate can sort the mouse lag i experience at higher settings.
    I scoured the EA BC2 forums and a few more.
    Its a known issue apparently that some users experience and one people with far better spec than i have are having to sacrifice eye candy to get smooth mouse input.

Fingers crossed they will address this soon.

After my own experiments to try sort the mouse lag i noticed very little difference between dx9 and dx10 visually.
    The only real difference is the no AA in dx 9, which is a real shame.

@ Cherryghost, yeah dx9 gives me a nice fps boost, maybe 15%.

dude....seriously....Q6600 at near stock.....that is a crying shame. You have a ninja of a CPU there. Let it RIP!!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

i7 920
    Asus P6T
    6Gb Ram
    4890 Vapour X
    7x64

1920*1080
    60+ fps everything on highest except AA and MSAA

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Maybe yer like me Cully, I've never overclocked anything PC wise. I have an I5 here now with an ATI 5850 and neither are overclocked. Dont see the need to as the game is running seriously great!

Yeah i never overclock, just always went and bought enough hardware to do the job.

I wonder how well the Q6600 will overclock with stock cooling?

Very well cully, not all Q6600 will clock the same depends on the stepping of the chip TBH......but you will deffo get it to 3Ghz on stock air. But why keep the stock cooler even a cheap and cheerfull Artic Freezer HSF will cool exceptionally well.

You be mad not to clock that chip...MAD I TELL YEAH.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

[Graphics]
    Effects=low
    Soldiers=high
    Vehicles=high
    Overgrowth=high
    Undergrowth=high
    StaticObjects=high
    Terrain=high
    Shadows=medium
    Bloom=false
    HSAO=true
    MSAA=0
    Water=medium
    MainQuality=custom
    Texture=high
    DxVersion=9
    Aniso=8
    Detail=high
    RenderAheadLimit=2
    Fov=80
    Sound Quality = High

1680x1050

i7 860 @ 4GHz
    4 GB DDR3
    Gigabyte P55
    GTX 285
    Asus Xonar DS1

50-80 FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    [Graphics]
    Effects=low
    Soldiers=high
    Vehicles=high
    Overgrowth=high
    Undergrowth=high
    StaticObjects=high
    Terrain=high
    Shadows=medium
    Bloom=false
    HSAO=true
    MSAA=0
    Water=medium
    MainQuality=custom
    Texture=high
    DxVersion=9
    Aniso=8
    Detail=high
    RenderAheadLimit=2
    Fov=80
    Sound Quality = High

1680x1050

i7 860 @ 4GHz
    4 GB DDR3
    Gigabyte P55
    GTX 285
    Asus Xonar DS1

50-80 FPS

Your setup would be fairly similar to mine

I5-750 @ stock
    4 GB DDR3
    MSI GD80
    Nvidia GTX280

Havent changed anything in the settings.ini except FOV=80

I'm running at 1680x1050.
    Everything on HIGH except AA/AF x 1
    VSync OFF
    HBAO OFF

Getting around 30-60FPS.

Gonna try turning off bloom and change DX to 9 so should be able to squeeze a few more FPS out of it.

Switching to DX9 gave me weird flashing textures with a 4870, only wanted the levels to load faster :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I turned off bloom and set it to DX9 and I'm now getting pretty solid 60-80 FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How do you "change" to DX9 if you dont mind me asking.

I'm running an 8800gts and tbh have been so engrossed in the game havnt bothered looking at any settings

Go to
    Documents/BFBC2/settings
    Change DxVersion=auto to DxVersion=9
    Remember you will have no AA with dx9 in the frostbite engine.
    Personally i get better framerate when i leave it to auto but on your card atleast try dx9.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im getting much better frames rates aswell on auto ie dx10.

Its a huge difference--40-50 on dx9 and 80-90 on dx10.Only thing annoying about forcing dx10 is the level load times(less than 10secs on dx9 and up to 30secs on dx10) but Im led to believe that its an ATI driver issue thats being worked on.

Yeah I have noticed aswell when I join the game is half over!!!! Fookin ATi drivers, I d/l the Beta 10.3 last night.....might give them a run tonite or tomorrow. But the game is running fine so might leave well enough alone...running DX11 no probs yet.

Advertisement