Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a mobile catering van

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

myself and my wife are in the thought process of setting up a mobile chip van/ catering van.
    but we dont know where to start at.
    we have priced a few catering units online etc but do not know where to go for the legal side of things etc or how to get the idea up off the ground
    any help or tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

any help at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I sent you a PM earlier about it... Did you not get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

I sent you a PM earlier about it... Did you not get it?
    yeah got it after i seen your message , thanks. sent u a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

haven't received it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

auditek923 wrote: »
    myself and my wife are in the thought process of setting up a mobile chip van/ catering van.
    but we dont know where to start at.
    we have priced a few catering units online etc but do not know where to go for the legal side of things etc or how to get the idea up off the ground
    any help or tips please?

watch this film... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Van_(1996_film)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Hi,
    Any chance of sharing that information, I am in a similar position myself, not sure where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

Hi there,
    i was wondering could i get that information too please as i am interested.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I'd recommend anyone thinking of opening a business like this to read a book called The General and I.

A great insight into what a determined Hot dog vender had to go through on the streets of Dublin in the early 90's.

My advice is if your going to spend your cash on setting up a business, should be thinking a bit harder about it or at least be a bit more resourceful. You need to be extra sharp in irelands current environment to make something work. Otherwise its bye bye cash! Just trying to be realistic for you.
    I typed into google 'setting up a mobile catering business' and on the first page I found this ranked fourth

www.fsai.ie/assets/0/.../dbdf8853-d2e9-4f1d-9279-7c046f9ad6fc.pdf

Google is the first place to start for everything.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jenny4an

Looking to set up a small catering van any hints anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Frank McGivney

You nee to register with your local health boar sothat they can come out an inspect your van and they will give you alot of advice about hygene and operational issues. You nee to source suppliers of the products you are going to cook and sell. You need to do research into where you are going to set up your stall. You will need licences from local authorites so you need to contact local county council or corporation. Also you need to contact who controls where you want to put the stall so if you want to stand at a festival then you need to contact the organisers to see what they charge and what conditions they will impose on you and also consider what pitch you will get.
    You then have to get all this together and up plan and budget so that you can determine if you have a hope of making money. Going to where you want to set up your stall an watching foot fall and how much other stalls sell will give you invaluable information.
    The implications of the other posts above should also be considered

Advertisement