Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foundation level maths/changing subject level

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is possible to change subject levels on the day of the exam?.. I put ordinary level maths down on the LC form and really regret it now, i dont need ordinary level maths and im pretty sure im going to fail it anyway. My school dosent offer foundation level as an option so im wondering if they will even have the foundation maths exam. If they dont offer it, is it too late to change the level and go sit it somewhere else??..help? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yeah you ask for a different level on the day no problem, unsure if they'll have a foundation level paper in that case though. Ask the school will that happen perhaps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unlike the JC, for LC you can change level on the day. If there is not a Foundation Level paper in your school's box, one will be got from a neighbouring centre. It might mean (in the worst case scenario) that you might have to start your exam a little bit later. Please let the supervisor know as early as possible that you intend to change level.

Please be aware of the implications for your college choices if you choose Foundation Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spurious wrote: »
    Please be aware of the implications for your college choices if you choose Foundation Maths.
    And jobs in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The school should allow you to drop even if it means being at the back of your Ordinary Class doing exam papers, which is what I do but I would advise you to do some Foundation Level questions before the LC

spurious wrote: »

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

Check the course before dropping because if the course you want to do is not on that list and you drop incase for some reason it does not accept Foundation Maths
    the_syco wrote: »
    And jobs in general.

Its the qualification that matters not the level of Maths they did in LC unless you are going straight into work after you finish the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

unknown13 wrote: »
    Its the qualification that matters not the level of Maths they did in LC unless you are going straight into work after you finish the LC.

Graduate in english and history that did honours maths in LC > graduate in english and history that did foundation maths in LC

The basic skills most companies want are reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Teutorix wrote: »
    Graduate in english and history that did honours maths in LC > graduate in english and history that did foundation maths in LC

The basic skills most companies want are reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
    Graduate in english and history who gets a first class honours but did FL maths at LC > Graduate in english and history who gets a pass (Or even a 2.1) degree.

At the end of the day, if you do well in college your LC results won't matter too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Yeah, but you rule yourself out of a lot of courses with foundation maths.
    You've got to actually get into college before you can do well in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamh_420

im planning on doing a fetac course after the LC and hoping to get into third level after. i know foundation level maths dosent look the greatest, but iv always been hopeless at maths, im doing everything else higher level, ordinary level maths just isnt possible for me at LC level. i had to put in alot of work just to scrape a pass in ordinary for the JC. seeing as the only course i want includes a requirement of a minimum C3 at ordinary level, i dont have another option.. i could repeat after this year and would probably get the C3 with another year, but being almost 20, another year of school might actually kill me :D

Advertisement