Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Mobile Broadband- Need feedback

Options
  • 09-03-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got a Haweii 3 Modem last year. Basically it's a shoddy piece of crap, my sister had the same modem and has the exact same problem, basically through normal wear the connection goes a bit off and you have to elevate the modem to get a decent connection. I sent it back to three and they said it wasn't covered by the manufacturer's warranty, I quoted the Sales of Goods Act to them and stated my contract was with them not the manufacturer but you can imagine that went down like a lead balloon to an Indian phone rep.

I can put the whole thing in writing and I'm a solicitor so not worried about that but I do want to know if anyone else has the same issues as if my sis and I have the exact same modem problem this cannot be isolated.

Now secondly- my Bill arrived today. In the past 48 hours I have had 6 phonecalls from three looking for me to pay my Bill. I actually lost the rag at the last guy that rang, though I didn't curse, thankfully. 6 times!! If it was an ex girlfriend I'd be ringing the cops for harrasment. I've been paying the clowns since last year, am I going to suddenly stop. Sheesh, anyway I have to say overall the service is crap but I'm in Kerry these days and no fixed broadband which is a pain so have to go mobile- they ALL seem to be terrible judging by the vodafone forum feedback and friends experiences of O2 also. What is it with phone companies- I think they just make their money too easy.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You may find posting in this thread will get you answers
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306&page=500

8,000 Posts All about Three's so called "Broadband" :)

"Mobile Broadband" is just not a suitable replacement to actual Broadband like Cable or ASDSL no matter what, its not designed to cope with too many users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Theres 2 things at play here, it is a piece of crap modem, you may get a refund depending on the contract but it is also a piece of crap service in a lot of places.

I bought a modem for a fiver I think, get a much better service through 3 with that but still a piece of crap service, which they make no guarantee of.

As an alternative, if you buy your own modem and get a 3 phone sim, you can get 1gb a month as an addon for €10 a month to the phone service by putting this phone sim in the modem, this is PAYG so you will see if the service is any good before committing. No good for you but an option for anyone else out there.

Can you get KerryyBroadband or Permanet where you are? I'm with Permanet in Abbeyfeale and get a good service. <slightly off topic I know>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Lads,

Its mobile Internet, its going to be patchy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The modem they gave me (the one above) connected about 10% at the time and was dialup speeds. The one I use now connects 80% of the time and is about twice dialup speeds. It keeps the connection much better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I've had three BB for almost 2 years. Patchy at first but no problems whatsoever for over a year and speeds averaging 2.5mb (speedtest.net)

I always find it far easier to deal with someone in a Three store rather than ring the goons in the call centre.

edit - I have the 7.2mb modem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads,

Its mobile Internet, its going to be patchy at best.

I think you'll find the vast majority of people agree, that doesn't however stop Three and the Government saying its a suitable replacement for actual Broadband under the NBS (National Broadband Scheme).

Advertisement