Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax implications of transferring assets from Co A to Co B?

• 09-03-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Mods - I orginally posted a version of this query on the Accountancy board before spotting the Taxation board so if this duplication isn't permitted please delete but I feel the Taxation board is possibly more appropriate for my query.

Can anyone here give me some advice on how to go about extracting certain equipment assets from company A which I'm a shareholder and director in to to Company B? Company A isn't performing well so I'd like to take the opportunity to set up a new company which buys the key operating assets of comapny A and then wind down company A. Does that make sense? Company B will tread water for a while until the market improves and then use the assets acquired from comapny A to start trading. Comapany B will trade under a different trading name to company A.

I know as a director of company A I have an obligation to get the best price I can for the assets of the company but when I'm selling to myself (I'm 100% shareholder of company B) how do I determine the value company B has to pay company A for the assets? Are there any guidelines from the Revenue Commisisons I have to adhere to? Can I used the depreciated book value? Are there any valuers approved by the revenue or somehow qualifed to calculate the appropriate value? How much would they charge for to value 10 items? I know I could ask dealers what they think the value of the equipment is but what they'd be prepared to pay for it would be rock bottom in this market. Do I just pick a figure, do the transaction and hope for the best? What could the consequences be in terms of the Revenue Commisisoners or being struck off as a director of I get it wrong? Does my Accountant have to approve the transaction?

Lot's of questions I know but i haven't done this before so I really don't know what to do and I don't want to ask my Accountant until I have an idea of what the options are as my Accountant is a real "by the book" kind of fella and I know my fellow boardsies will have a practical solution to the problem!!

Regards,

Fish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Please take time to read the charter.

You are talking about complicated structures here. There are a host of tax issues with close company trading and sales to connected companies. However, this advice is not within the remit of this forum.

Go seek a professional.

Also, I'd rather have a "by the books" accountant than relying on rarely qualified totally anonymous internet posters to provide advice.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement