Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookies go flat and wide when cooked

Options
  • 09-03-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

I recently made some chocolate chip cookies and some shortbread cookies.
    In both cases the cookies came out quite flat and very wide.
    How do I make thicker, smaller cookies?

The butter I used was quite soft when I creamed with the sugar. I tried to make tall blobs (2cm) to minimise the spreading but it didn't help much.

I am thinking of putting the blobs into baking cases to limit the spread but there must be a better way.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hmm, I'm not sure. You could try refrigerating the batter before dropping it on to the tray? And leave plenty of room between the cookies to stop them spreading in to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Refrigerate your dough for 30mins-1hr after mixing. Then shape into balls (a trigger-style ice-cream scoop is great) on your lined tray and refrigerate for at least 1hr. Ensure your oven is pre-heated to 180c, take tray straight from fridge, load into oven and bake. If you want chewy cookies, mix for a few mins after you've added the flour at the mixing stage to develop the gluten.

To get even awesom-er cookies with really deep flavours, leave the mix refrigerated for 3 days before baking.

Advertisement