Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the dole closed

• 09-03-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

hi,my mam heard a rumour that the dole office on the cork road is closed today due to a strike,anyone know is there any truth in this as i am due to sign on this evening,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Uh go check? Not like you have much else to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No need for that now...........

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

Aka Ishur wrote: »

you dont sound like you have much to do yourself except use sarcasm on the internet

just found out there definetly closed today due to an industrial strike,so heads up to anyone due to sign on this eveing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seanie2

looks like its open in the afternoon. closed due to industrial action in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

On the radio (WLR) they said that there was a sign up, saying that office closed today, and for those signing on to return on the 16th March!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

If you have nothing helpful to add please refrain from posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

a handy way to check if there closed is to ring reception in there,if they answer there open for business,,if they dont answer there on there work stoppage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

a handy way to check if there closed is to ring reception in there,if they answer there open for business,,if they dont answer there on there work stoppage

Not so handy when the lazy so and sos wont anser the phone because there on work to rule where by they wont answer the phone.Is there anyway of knowing when there open i had to travel 10miles today to go in and see there stupid sign sayin come back later that is not on i have no form of transport and have to arrange a way in.Sack the lot of the misrable shower of whinge bags ill gladly go in and sit on me hole handin out people there signing sheets its not as if they have a hard job like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Car Mad wrote: »
    Not so handy when the lazy so and sos wont anser the phone because there on work to rule where by they wont answer the phone.Is there anyway of knowing when there open i had to travel 10miles today to go in and see there stupid sign sayin come back later that is not on i have no form of transport and have to arrange a way in.Sack the lot of the misrable shower of whinge bags ill gladly go in and sit on me hole handin out people there signing sheets its not as if they have a hard job like.

If they keep up this kind of crap Lenihan should cut their pay another 5 or 6% in the next bugdet. The ps have to get back in touch with the real world, if they don't like it then indeed sack em, its not exactly a strenuous job down there.

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote: »

was in the exact same position myself,rang thr lazy sods this morning and got an answering machine saying they wouldnt answer as they were on a dispute,hence the reason i started the thread,i also live 10 miles from town and now have no car and had to arrange a lift to get in there today,they hadnt the decency to even post letters out to people,dont even know when i am supposed to sign on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

was in the exact same position myself,rang thr lazy sods this morning and got an answering machine saying they wouldnt answer as they were on a dispute,hence the reason i started the thread,i also live 10 miles from town and now have no car and had to arrange a lift to get in there today,they hadnt the decency to even post letters out to people,dont even know when i am supposed to sign on again

Anyone any word since? No sign up saying come back on the 16th of March this morning. Sign simply said closed due to industrial action. :(
    Anyone any idea when were supposed to go back in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

Anyone any word since? No sign up saying come back on the 16th of March this morning. Sign simply said closed due to industrial action. :(

My first post and its on the dole :eek: Anyway id say try going back tomorrow, these disputes have been rolling disputes as far as I can see afecting certain centres on certain days. My bet would be it will be open tomorrow and some other office closed!!

This dispute/strike is starting to really affect people, do these unions want support or are they trying to alienate the public they serve???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Surely closing the doors is not 'work to rule' more like a work stoppage, if this was the private sector they'd all be on protective notice.

Agree with the lack of notice, especially the dole office of all places.

They should be required to give 24 hrs notice and broadcast it on the radio at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

It's no wonder people feel embarrased when signing on, let alone when having to ask a simple question about the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Surely closing the doors is not 'work to rule' more like a work stoppage, if this was the private sector they'd all be on protective notice.

Agree with the lack of notice, especially the dole office of all places.

They should be required to give 24 hrs notice and broadcast it on the radio at the very least.

If they were in the private sector they wouldn't be in a bloody union and they'd have to work twice as hard.

i,m hoping they will notify us by post,if they even have the decency to do that am gonna ring em tomorrow and try and find out

i,m hoping they will notify us by post,if they even have the decency to do that am gonna ring em tomorrow and try and find out

Let me know if ye find out anything and I'll do the same. Fingers crossed we won't have to sign on till next month :)

Let me know if ye find out anything and I'll do the same. Fingers crossed we won't have to sign on till next month :)

will do,yeah be great if we dont have to sign until next month,absolutely hate signing on

will do,yeah be great if we dont have to sign until next month,absolutely hate signing on

Anyone have any luck today?

• Advertisement

rang them twice this morning and its just ringing out,i will keep trying and my post doesnt come until around 1ish so maybe the postman has a letter for me from them,but will let ya know

rang them twice this morning and its just ringing out,i will keep trying and my post doesnt come until around 1ish so maybe the postman has a letter for me from them,but will let ya know

Thanks Janis, got my post nothin from them, my friend in cork went in about his and they said he didn't have to sign on again till April. Hoping this is the same in Waterford.

Went in there, re opened at 2 had to queue at my usual hatch and give in my card noted down my number and said sign on next on 6th April so looks like ye all have to go in lads.

Advertisement