Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Upgrade

Options
  • 09-03-2010 2:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, thinking of upgrading my monitor. Was at a LAN over the weekend and saw someone playing on a monitor, and my jaw dropped with the colour contrast and sheer smoothness of the damn yoke.

Currently have an LG2242, 22". Looking for a similar size one, with better quality of course :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hey lads, thinking of upgrading my monitor. Was at a LAN over the weekend and saw someone playing on a monitor, and my jaw dropped with the colour contrast and sheer smoothness of the damn yoke.

Currently have an LG2242, 22". Looking for a similar size one, with better quality of course :P
    Smaller?!! :confused:

That's not the way monitor upgrades go. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Wow... from what I've heard the LG224* series are very well regarded (the bargain-bin price helps but they're not exactly getting called out on bad picture quality by anyone!). That must have been a fairly serious piece of kit you saw! :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

smaller? lolwut

and yeah... think it might have been a syncmaster series. it was mind blowingly awesome. had a go of it on saturday night and could not believe how smooth and vibrant it was

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Effluo wrote: »
    Maybe the general giddiness of the Lan got the better of your judgement...

I went looking for an appropriate photo for at least 10 minutes and found none... sickened

edit: (after i've seen cherry ghost post before me)
    lol and now my post is meaningless!!!!

Noooooooooo, I was too late

Cuckoos nest is that way >>>>>>

and no, its really was the best thing i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

and yeah... think it might have been a syncmaster series.

Didn't all of those Syncmaster screens get bad reviews?

Or at least I remember there being a lot of disappointment with them after Samsungs previous efforts

• Advertisement

yeah i think so. God damnit i gotta get the model of his monitor. thought someone here would know of some amazing monitors :pac:

It almost sounds to me like it must have been one of those crazy expensive models with one of those different "tn?" panels.

Something in the region of €400 for a 22" me thinks, the ones used for professional graphic designers n' stuff

think it might have been one of the Samsung 120hz monitors

I was surprised when i saw a syncmaster 2270 in action. Really nice pq, very high contrast while maintaining blacks very well. So i went on to komplett and bought one! Any chance thats what you saw?

http://wccftech.com/2009/07/19/samsung-syncmaster-p2270-review/

got it!

http://www.clutchkills.com/videos/samsung-2233rz-review/

THAT is an amazing monitor. now, where to find it...

EDIT: and here it is... expensive :(http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=446776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a syncmaster 940bf here that's served me very well, (I think it's about 5 years old now) it's only recently that a line appears down the middle of the screen when certain colours are displayed. It's still very crisp and sharp and the colours still more vibrant than the iiyama 26" beside it.

I've been turned right off Samsung since I got one of they're crappy phones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

got it!

http://www.clutchkills.com/videos/samsung-2233rz-review/

THAT is an amazing monitor. now, where to find it...

EDIT: and here it is... expensive :(http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=446776

Can't have been that amazing, its a TN panel. Plus it doesn't do full HD, Meh IMO, You can get better than that for that money

Well if you're heart is set on it, then here it is again considerably cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/b001th77i6/geizhals07-21/ref=nosim?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

£200 sterling delivered around €220

Monitor is a year old... Not sure if that really means that much?

This is a 3d monitor??? :confused:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can't have been that amazing, its a TN panel. Plus it doesn't do full HD, Meh IMO, You can get better than that for that money

ooooh if you saw it, you'd understand. it was a beautiful thing. no screen tearing, no colour fading. its only a couple of pixels off HD so meh, my current monitor is the same resolution :P

its a 3D monitor yeah, i played with and without Nvidia 3D on it, and i have to say, without 3D, its simply stunning. might go buy it before the week is out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I honestly wouldn't bother...unless you plan to game in 3d and you better have a GTX295 or SLI'ed GTX280s for that. Anything less is simply not good enough.
    If you don't plan to go 3D then there is absolutely no point in getting this monitor.

Better off getting a 24" monitor and going for 1920x1080..
    See the Dell 24" below for €229 and it's gettign very good reviews.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=324819

In fact look on komplett and you'll see loads of better monitors for cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't understand why You're upgrading and opting for 1680x1050 :confused:

Fcuk 1920x1080, 1920x1200 is a much nicer resolution, 1680 is a static upgrade, You'll someday have doubts it was the right decision. In fact I'm considering getting 2 more 24" 1920x1200's for a triple monitor setup

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can't understand why You're upgrading and opting for 1680x1050 :confused:

Fcuk 1920x1080, 1920x1200 is a much nicer resolution, 1680 is a static upgrade, You'll someday have doubts it was the right decision. In fact I'm considering getting 2 more 24" 1920x1200's for a triple monitor setup

lol..I meant to say 1920x1200 :D

ooooh if you saw it, you'd understand. it was a beautiful thing. no screen tearing, no colour fading. its only a couple of pixels off HD so meh

I figure you know best, if you see something nice it's always a bit like "I want one of those" and you may not be happy with anything else. I guess the other guys are right too though, that screen is a year old and it's quite possible that it's 3d capabilities are the only thing propping it's price up...

In a sense I hate buying tech for the fact that you can almost never see the gear in action before you buy. Your current screen is pretty good so I guess you know that this screen really was something you'd much prefer...

It's you who makes the decision in the end and I hope you make the right one which that is, I have no idea! lol :P

ooooh if you saw it, you'd understand. it was a beautiful thing. no screen tearing, no colour fading. its only a couple of pixels off HD so meh, my current monitor is the same resolution :P

its a 3D monitor yeah, i played with and without Nvidia 3D on it, and i have to say, without 3D, its simply stunning. might go buy it before the week is out :pac:

Screen tearing is normally nothing to do with refresh rate in my experience. Its normally the graphics card or a panel set to too low of a response time and distortion ensues. I've watched a couple of blu-ray movies (24fps) on a 120hz monitor and they look awful. Turned off 120hz and they looked good again, now i know why movies are filmed at 24fps. I would guess that the image quality you saw was just down to a good panel + good calibration + image vsynched at 60fps. I Highly doubt it had anything to do with the panel being 120hz capable. Then again, maybe you are superhuman and can percieve extra image fluidity above 60fps!! :eek:
    Get a 1080p 24" if you have to burn some cash, you wont be sorry!

eh yeah, honestly i was hoping someone has used this monitor and could recommend me a better one :o

and i aint getting a higher res monitor because maxing the resolution in COD4 and hitting that glorious 250FPS is essential to me (quake jump boost glitch ;)). so if i get a higher res monitor, i'll have to reduce the resolution just so I can get 250FPS. same applies for a number of games honestly. That and i play 1080p videos on 1680x1050 and it looks great! :pac:

EDIT: i should also say im tight on room where i am, a 24" would just be a nuisance

• Advertisement
Advertisement