Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling Huge!

• 09-03-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

hi

Am 38weeks at present and feeling huge at moment!!! have gained alot of weight during this, my first pregnancy - just wondering when it is safe to exercise after the birthand what kind of exercise one should do?

thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hi mozattack,
    depending on the delivery you have it'll be 6 weeks after the birth before you can do anything strenuous and then its really only the gentler of exercise like walking and swimming til the 12 week mark, when you can ramp it up a bit. With a section, it could be longer depending on how you're healing.
    you'll be given leaflets with tummy exercises that you have to do every day after the birth but to be quite honest you'll be recovering from the birth i think exercise will be the furthest thing from your mind!!;) Be prepared for the hunger from hell too, i don't know if it's cos you have more room in there after the birth but i know i was ravenous all the time for about 3 weeks then it settled down,:D plus if you're breastfeeding that uses up the fat stores that the body lays down before the baby comes.. mother nature:eek:
    anyway best of luck and i hope that everything goes well for you;)

*when the baby is born you will feel so much thinner too.. the bump will be in your arms and you'll be able to bend down again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

thanks for your help

i know i should probably be thinking of other things at this time but just finished work on Fri and am home alone, with all this time to think, can't do much as am so huge and feel a bit useless - don't know if this is normal! and looked in my wardrobe this morning at all of the clothes that i just can't fit into - nearly cleared the lot, in my mood, into black bags to give to charity but came down stairs before did something i'd regret!
    my nerves aren't that great these last few days and am beginning to get very nervous about the birth and whether everything will go well and baby will be healthy so i think i am focusing on other things to take my mind off that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Hi mozattack, I think it's understandable how you're feeling. Just focus on getting through the next few weeks healthy and you will have all the time in the world to loose the baby weight. Best of luck with everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Get in the bath, do your nails, get your hair done, pamper yourself a bit put your feet up and watch all the movies you haven't had time to watch, go out for lunch with friends.. enjoy this time for yourself cos it'll be so hectic when baba does arrive you won't have a minute for yourself.:D ..
    you wouldn't be normal if you weren't panicking about the birth if you put it in the context that its a few hours of pain that can be controlled (epidurals and drugs) you won't be alone and you'll have a beautiful baby at the end of it.
    Don't worry about how you look you're pregnant if you can't let yourself go a bit now there's no hope:D Swimming is great if you can bring yourself to bare it all in the pool makes you feel lighter and is very relaxing...
    It's very restricting not being able to do stuff around the house but enjoy that too.. just give the orders, my older 2 girls were thrilled when i came home with the baby.. my eldest told me now i was able to more around the house again!! cheeky madam!!
    In 2-4 weeks you'll be the other side of it and i can honestly say you will not be bored!!;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had a C-section and they had me up and walking the next day and advised me to walk every day. Think you need to do weight bearing exercise to prevent clots and promote healing. I've dropped 2.5 stone in 5 weeks (mostly baby, fluid and blood). I'm still nearly a stone heavier than I was when I got pregnant.

Have my 6 week appointment on Monday and I'm going to ask can I do some abdominals as my back isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I felt amazing til a week or two ago & now I feel totally ****. It's not the bumo that's getting to me, I can't sleep, I feel like crying all the time, I've got piles like grapes, I feel sick after eating, I feel sick if I don't eat, I keep crabbing at himself. At this rate I'll be on my own not knowing do I want food or not, not able to sit down and completely sleep deprived by the time the baby arrives. How is it 8 months can go perfectly and now this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi girls,

I am feeling so much better now when I red all your posts...
    I am in my 38th week now and feel hudge and useless and all the rest of the stuff too...
    Just started my ML and thought I will meet my friends for lunches and that before the baby arrives but... now I know that all my friends are working and so dont have time for lunches and it would take me night and day to get ready even for lunch with friends... I am just sitting around the house and feel exhausted. Can not sleep much in the night and feel like snoozzing during the day... Well, now I know its pretty normal and feel a bit better about it all.
    I wish you all the best of luck with your last few weeks of pregnancy.. who knows.. it could all happen quicker then we think and we could have the little one to think about as soon as tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm only 34 weeks but it is the home straight for us too...would like if he stayed at least another 2-3 weeks but cant see him being there longer...am not that big but have no sense of balance, have heartburn and am sleepy but find it hard to sleep...as long as my son is OK, will have to start thinking about the birth...am convinced that he may turn up on his mummies birthday...have a cough that is really annoying me but am missing the thought of him being inside, it has been a very tough pregnancy but it has also been a privilidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I'm only 24 weeks and feel like its crawling by ..... I have now started to waddle which makes me feel huge!!!!!!!
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Don't worry about the weight. It'll shift afterwards. I had a normal delivery and went back playing football after 4 weeks. It was great because it gave me an excuse to get out of the house and leave the other half have his time with the little man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I lost a stone at the start of my pregnancy thru healthy eating and morning sickness and have only got back to my pre-pregnancy weight recently. But my god i'm so big, my bump is very neat and from back I dont look preg and in certain tops I dont look preg from the front but then I look down or at myself from my side and I cannot believe the size of me. Due the end of this month so hoping I won't get much bigger but who knows

Advertisement