Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C: Dancin' Dans' Street Show - A slideshow

• 09-03-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

The Story:
    Dancing Dan’s Street Show.

I was walking past initially and there he was, not busking, dancing facing the wall, carrying his plastic shopping bag. His IPOD no doubt filling his head with the beat. Wearing powder blue jeans & jacket with a plastic Stetson in tiger strip colours….

So I got as close as I could without disturbing him and squeezed of a few shots and moved on…

About an hour later I was passing this way again and saw a huge crowd. It seems I had initially only caught “Dancing Dan” when he was warming up! The shopping bag was on the granite window ledge of the GPO and he was in fine fettle. Bumping, grinding and dirty dancing much to the amusement of the onlookers. Boy could this guy throw some moves, he was amazing, you didn’t even need to hear the music, him lost in his own little world.

Then I noticed a bunch of street people egging him on with pure Dublin humour “ go on ya fine thing” “ohh you’se are a bitch –riding yerself like that” “ ya dirty bollix” “wanna a f**cking ride do ya” “I’se bet you were someone’s bitch in de Joy” ( Mountjoy Prison known as De Joy to Dubliners)

I went over to catch a shot of the main heckler, who tagged me and we got talking, I retorted he couldn’t dance like that and then to prove me wrong, stoned as he was on something, off he went stealing Dan’s limelight. Then decided to take up a collection for him with a discarded paper coffee cup.

This broke Dan’s harmony and he stopped, waiting for the distraction to the main event, Him! To give up.

A moment in Dublin. A moment of public levity where all was forgotten thanks to dancing Dan.

Nikon f80, 50mm f1.4 D: Ilford HP5+ developed in XTOL. Saturday Afternoon, 20th February 2010

The Slide Show. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13111789@N00/sets/72157623555691898/show/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

That brought a smile to my face :) The only C&C I have was for the slideshow; I thought there were a few similar images of Dan in the first third or so

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I loved it... some of the shots of the 2nd guy are really great... slightly haunting in a way, but maybe that's just me...
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

zoegh wrote: »
    I loved it... some of the shots of the 2nd guy are really great... slightly haunting in a way, but maybe that's just me...
    :)

Or was it the drugs he was on :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great set, made me smile :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've seen him around a few times. In the past he always had a little stereo with him so you could hear what he was dancing to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Ha ha very good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I love the repeating shots. An add nuances here, a subtle shift there and all coming together beautifully. Each one lending itself to the next in a subtle exploration the subject matter.

What big balls you've got. Using repeats is a really tricky manouvre and I think you nailed it. By avoiding a money shot and allowing the time period to form the edges of the complete work is...bold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I saw this guy while he walked up Henry Street. He was hilarious. I was thinking jesus how can I explain this to someone after seeing it? Thankfully you've captured it and I can show them the proof in the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

humberklog wrote: »
    I love the repeating shots. An add nuances here, a subtle shift there and all coming together beautifully. Each one lending itself to the next in a subtle exploration the subject matter.

What big balls you've got. Using repeats is a really tricky manouvre and I think you nailed it. By avoiding a money shot and allowing the time period to form the edges of the complete work is...bold.

I'd love to take the credit for being so artistically minded... as I squeezed of the shots of him facing the wall, I was simply trying to catch his different moves.. never was thinking of stringing them together .. but yes somehow they work

I think I do have too many repetitive shots there, maybe a case of less is more. It's a school of thought thing, I suspect.

some would have minimal text and minimal shots and let others decide ...

I think I'm too inclined to circolocution to be brief in text and possibly photography too. Being from Cork, why would one use a single word when six will suffice ? ;)

Developing Photostories adds a tricky conundrum of balancing what does the talking and the ratio of letting the picture speak for itself compared to the supporting text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Good stuff, Dublin in motion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement