Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hole filling/patching mix

• 09-03-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Basically lads i intalled a new socket in the hall. Where the gf originally wanted the socket there was wall studs behind it .

so i did trial holes and went either side of the stud and only discovered it when i was half way cutting through the plaster.

Anyway its not a big deal by any means. but the problem is of course i have a nasty hole in a wall in the hall where everyone will see it.

all i am going to do is screw the square of plaster board back to the stud and patch the "incision"

but what i would like to know is what id the beast material. Preferably availible cheaply and in small quantities ( From B&Q ..... you all know i love that place)

or will polyfilla do the job and i just wet the last layer up for a good finish

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I would get off cuts of plasterboard, usually free if you dont have any, and cut these into rectangles bigger than the hole you want to fill. Then drill a hole and attach a string. Slip the piece through the hole to the other side and hold it up to the hole with the string and then layer your filler, usually two layers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

get some corrugated cardboard, about 50% bigger than the hole size.

small hle through the middle and put string throug tying a knot. Push the cardboard through the hole, get some No more Nails and glue around the cardboard that will touch the wall behind the hole and pull the cardboard.

It should stick to the wall and you fill then with polyfilla if thats what you like. I use Ronseal wood filler for all that kind of work..its more expensive but much better than polyfilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah i was out and got poly filla. i will put a few thin layers on it. hope it works. the gf not so happy with having the grand canyon in the wall

Advertisement