Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sick?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

We recently got a puppy, a jack russell. Hes 15 weeks old and we've only had him for three days now. He was an outdoor dog with his previous owner but we keep him indoors with us most of the day except for the night where he sleeps in his kennel in the shed.

After the smallest bit of running he seems very tired and will often just lie down for 20 minutes at a time on our laps or next to us. When we put him down on the floor he crawls up our legs to sit back down on our laps.

It might also be worth mentioning that he may be adjusting to our house as we live in the city and he was previously a country dog, with a brother who he is now seperated from. He also has worms which we are treating with some worm dose stuff. But he always seems tired, what is the reason for this? Is he sick? Should I bring him to the vet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Pups with heavy worm burdens often appear lethargic so this could be the reason. What are you using to treat the worms?

Has he had his vaccinations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Puppies get tired easily too, they have to sleep alot. Or maybe he's also missing his old home and just wants cuddles! I'd say once the worms are gone he should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

If he were mine I'd probably take a quick trip to the vet. I'm assuming at 15 weeks he's fully vacinated, but I'd also get him done for kennel cough and lung worms as well as the normal. The vet will tell you pretty quickly if there is anything to worry about.
    Puppys do tire very easily, and need lots of cuddles so it could all be nothing.
    Oh and post a pic of the cutie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Can only echo what has been said - it could be one or a combination of all of the factors you mentioned. Worms in a young pup can be very draining on them, once he is fully wormed (with a good wormer that you get from the vet) he should pep up. A change in diet could upset him a bit too. Secondly, changing environment can be a lot for a pup to handle, esp if it is a dramatic change in routine and company. He could be lonely or simply looking for attention when he wants to sit on your lap. Lastly, pups do get tired easily - they'll run around like lunatics for a while and then konk without much warning. Just be sure to let him rest when he wants to so that he doesn't over do it.

If he is still a bit sluggish in a few days, a trip to the vet might be needed to make sure there is nothing wrong with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

pups should be wormed monthly until 6 months if i remember correclty - also believe they (pups) are born with worms, so even if they are kept away from "contamintion" they should be wormed regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Thanks for all of your replies! Greatly appreciated, he seems to be much more livlier today. So all's good! He's had his shots, not too sure what the worms treatment is called tbh. I'll ry get a pic of him soon :)

Advertisement