Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Laying a deck

Options
  • 09-03-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I plan to lay a deck soon and my question doesn't really relate to the timber side of things but I'm sure someone here can help. I will have no problem building sub frame and laying the deck . I am going to lay paving slabs as a base and I am unsure how to get them all level and before some says with spirit level I mean I will prob 4/5 rows of slabs with maybe 3 slabs in each row so wondering how to make them all level ? The deck will be at the back of the house and run from the back door out maybe 12ft and across maybe 20ft. I plan to run the gradient from the back door out in the 12ft direction , incase that help someone answer my question. I'm also wondering after ye mix cement how long do ye have to play around with it ? any advuce will be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A few tips here might help you,

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

you could lay them roughly level just sarting at one corner and working out with a spirt level and then fine tune it using roofing slats as packers underneath to get your sub frame level.....roofing slats won't compress or rot ......

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

del88 wrote: »
    you could lay them roughly level just sarting at one corner and working out with a spirt level and then fine tune it using roofing slats as packers underneath to get your sub frame level.....roofing slats won't compress or rot ......

Thanks for the tips lads ;)

Lads have another question about laying the deck. I live in standard 3 bed semi , doubleglazing sliding door at the back with concrete step just outside the door. I was gona run the deck right up flush with the house so it will cover this step but I think I remember someone before telling me not to do that , is there any reason why I can't ?

and one more question , the step comes out from the house maybe 150 mm so I was gona butt the sub frame up to the front of the step rather than taking a check out of the frame to fit the step. This will result in the boards that go flush to the house over running the frame by 150mm , surely that won't cause any major problems as the over hang wont bear any great weight that close to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Carra23 wrote: »
    Lads have another question about laying the deck. I live in standard 3 bed semi , doubleglazing sliding door at the back with concrete step just outside the door. I was gona run the deck right up flush with the house so it will cover this step but I think I remember someone before telling me not to do that , is there any reason why I can't ?

and one more question , the step comes out from the house maybe 150 mm so I was gona butt the sub frame up to the front of the step rather than taking a check out of the frame to fit the step. This will result in the boards that go flush to the house over running the frame by 150mm , surely that won't cause any major problems as the over hang wont bear any great weight that close to the house.

There's no problem keeping the decking level with the sliding door frame...it's nice to be able to walk straight from the house to the decking with out having to step down..
    If your overhanging the sub frame you can allways pack up underneath at thre step to help take any movment out of it....best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

del88 wrote: »
    There's no problem keeping the decking level with the sliding door frame...it's nice to be able to walk straight from the house to the decking with out having to step down..
    If your overhanging the sub frame you can allways pack up underneath at thre step to help take any movment out of it....best of luck with it.

Cheers Del . You'd never guess I was a qualified Cabinet Maker would ye :eek: :confused: :eek: ............. Will post a picture or two when I'm done , which won't be for another few weeks, gona rotovate the back garden tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I have put deckboards right up to a sliding patio door loads of times before. Ya just need to take your time in working the levels out from the step and bobs ur uncle from there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

A simple string line with a line level and some short lengths of rebar are a very useful and cheap method of setting out any type of bearing pads or slabs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Dont forget a slight water runoff on the deck level.

kadman

I have just about finished the deck and it's turned out quite well bar one little problem. One small area , about 3ft square and in the centre of the deck but tight to the house is sqeaking ! everywhere else is sound. I guess its because the subframe isn't tight to the paving slabs underneath and is bouncing ? Any suggestions on how I may be able to get rid of the squeek ? Have a 2 1/2 yr old son and he just keeps bouncing there because of the noise !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Can you pack the underside of the frame with a piece of slate or thin plywood? A small dab of construction adhesive will help keep it in place.

The squeak was mysteriously gone this morning. Tried to attach some pictures but not having much luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

That will probably be all the rain in recent days swelled the timber!

That will probably be all the rain in recent days swelled the timber!

I thought that might be the case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dont forget to seal the deck with stripey sealer or you will end up slipping on the deck once it gets wet

Somebody advised me to do that alright. Is stripey a brand name ?

Advertisement