Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Crap! Al-Qaida:Plot to kill Swedish cartoonist hatched in Waterford

• 09-03-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just breaking on RTE, 7 arrests.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Jaysus Mike you were quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Yep, just heard it on the radio there too! 4 men & 3 women being held in the City and county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I presume they picked Waterford as it looks and feels just like Islamabad.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

sorry, but, wtf?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

any links to confirm story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

mike65 wrote: »
    Just breaking on RTE, 7 arrests.

YE i just heard this too on rte radio 1 , when exactly were the arrests do we know , because newsreader on radio rushed the reporter and said we will hear more later in day.:eek:

KingLoser wrote: »
    sorry, but, wtf?!

supposebly from what i think i heard , the sweedish cartoonist who made cartoons that outraged islamics a while back was a terrorist target and the united states and european police have identified these people arrested as terrosist threats.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

oh my oh my.

but, don't you all mean Danish? or am i thinking of someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ha ha,

I'm sorry but the sheer randomness of this has made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Bards wrote: »
    any links to confirm story?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0309/waterford.html

of all the things i'd have expected to see about waterford in the news, this wasnt exactly high on the list!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford the hub of international terrorism

mecco wrote: »

of all the things i'd have expected to see about waterford in the news, this wasnt exactly high on the list!!!!

wonder will this be headline news or just brushed under radar.......as usual in wat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno,

I wonder is it a case that someone overheard these guys saying something to the effect of I'll kill that guy for drawing mohammed,

I seriously can't believe that it's a full blown terroist cell.

Is anyone else imagining a 24 episode based on how do? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I laughed at Al Qaeda being held in Tramore garda station.

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I laughed at Al Qaeda being held in Tramore garda station.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

jo06555 wrote: »
    wonder will this be headline news or just brushed under radar.......as usual in wat :)

It depends if it fits in with the liberal agenda or not.

Authorities say the plot was crystal clear... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Mike cycle out to tramore with a small jotter,get the story ,and come back and report to us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gardaí have arrested five people in Waterford and two others in Cork in connection with an investigation into a conspiracy to murder a Swedish cartoonist.
    The cartoonist, Lars Vilks, has been threatened over his drawing depicting the Prophet Muhammad with the body of a dog.
    The head of an al Qaeda-led group in Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, posted an audio tape on the internet in September, 2007, offering $100,000 for the killing of Mr Vilks.
    Advertisement

This morning, detectives arrested three men and two women in Waterford and Tramore and another man and woman at Ballincollig, near Cork city. A number of searches also took place.
    A garda spokesman said the operation was part of an investigation into a conspiracy to murder an individual in another jurisdiction.
    Members of the Garda National Support Services and the Special Detective Unit were also involved in this morning's operation.
    Gardaí say they are working closely with police forces in a number of other European countries and in the US.
    The seven people arrested this morning range in age from their mid-20s to their late-40s.
    They are being questioned at garda stations in Waterford, Tramore, Dungarvan and Thomastown.
    All are being detained under section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, which allows for them to be held for up to a week.
    Those in custody are originally from Morocco and Yemen, but it is understood they all have refugee status and are legally in the country.

• Advertisement

Should be on Sky News by 6 pm, just their sort of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,638 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Like those episodes of South Park lol. Remember the ones where they were all paniacking over family guy showing the prophet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

mike65 wrote: »
    Should be on Sky News by 6 pm, just their sort of story.

on the site already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I just cant help thinking that these guys should have read a map before plotting to kill a swedish cartoonist, shouldnt hey have been in like you know sweden to do this

unless he was over here for a jaunt or something

Tri

on the site already

See the picture of the Swedish flag they're burning - it's like yellow on a green background. :rolleyes:

They're not the brightest Islamic fundamentalists, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

imagine the Garda cell in Tramore
    Just between johnno was ere and the local bikes number.........

AL-QUIDA ON TOUR 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

Anyone know where they were arrested in the City? Paddy Wagon passed the shop i work in on Baileys New St earlier, thought it was strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

haydo333 wrote: »
    Anyone know where they were arrested in the City? Paddy Wagon passed the shop i work in on Baileys New St earlier, thought it was strange!

I heard an apartment above Emilianos was raided this morning and had something to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Fair play to them call them extremists if ya want but if somone mocked your religion wouldnt ya want to find them get a big carving knife and slaughter them like lamb right across the juglar..?
    and all the while your on a free medical card and 230€ a week benifits from your wonderful host country that gave you asylum to go running around acting the terrorist in the first place...........

• Advertisement

Was just listening to someone from the News and Star on Matt Coopers show, she said the target wasn't named, nor did the Gardai specify the nature of the detainees. The only hint of "bigness" was that various external agencies were involved including the FBI

Advertisement