Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vestibular Disease

Options
  • 09-03-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with this? My husband's family Lab became quite ill last night and the vet diagnosed her today with this. She's being sent home today to see how she gets on. But if she doesn’t recover in two weeks, a reassessment of her quality of life will be made. She's 13, arthritic, but otherwise strong and healthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

As a human I have experience of it. Not with dogs though.

What are you wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well she's just fallen ill - so how have you helped the dog cope? Was there any foods that you fed them? How did you mangage them going to the toilet? Is there anything that you have done to make the dog more comfortable or less distressed? General observations & methods of coping, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

olaola wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with this? My husband's family Lab became quite ill last night and the vet diagnosed her today with this. She's being sent home today to see how she gets on. But if she doesn’t recover in two weeks, a reassessment of her quality of life will be made. She's 13, arthritic, but otherwise strong and healthy.

is she staggering,going in circles sometimes, eyes going from side to side, and head turned to side, mine have this problem, i am putting a cream i got from vet in ears, it can last a couple weeks, but dog is like she is drunk, she is 15 year jack russell, i am hoping she comes round she was worse , getting sick , is this the problem with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Ok well I can only speak from a humans perspective.

Food makes zero difference to vestibular issues in my experience. The only thing it can do is possibly blander food may may you less nauseous if that is an issue for her.
    If she is staggering around perhaps be of support to her when taking her to the toilet. Give her something to lean on. let her lean on your leg.
    People with vestib issues regularly using a walking stick or something ot balance them, not possible with a dog I know so best option is for someone to be beside her as she walks.
    Avoid "busy" situations. Often with vestibular it is very hard to focus the eyes and things may appear father than they are....watch her with traffic etc. Also busy environement or noisy environments can leave your head spinning. Sudden noises, even the bang of a door can leave you whirling.

Saying all of this the advice with vestibular is to stay active (for humans anyway;)). Now for a human at the height of it active may be getting out of bed and having a small potter around...not a 5km hike. Staying in bed not moving does not help but neither does overdoing it.
    Very hard with a dog i would imagine. It would be my ultimate nightmare having suffered from it myself to see any of my dogs get it.
    Hope this helps in some way:)

Advertisement