Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing a veg plot

Options
  • 09-03-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I have an overgrown veg plot at the end of my garden that I want to resurrect this year, but its full of weeds & I need something pretty hefty to kill them

Carpeting etc isn't practical as the area is too big, so it has to be chemical, likewise, I dont want to use something that prohibits me planting this season...

Any ideas or recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Roundup is a safe and very effective (killing foliage + root) and biodegrades on contact with soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poison is poison and no way would it be allowed near anything planned for food growing - period.

Whatever current blurb we the chemical says.

And it will not deal with seeds which will sprout en masse when you plant now disturbing their dormancy..

We are starting from scratch here and as I cannot dig am using various no -dig options.

Partly covering with cardboard with manure atop.

Partly through black plastic mulch; we have a sileage COVER, not the thin wrapping stuff, and that will be laid atop the mess and seedlings planted through it. Potatoes do especially well using this method.

One area has a lot of nettles, which means good soil.

We know from experience that the roots of these after being covered a year will rise to the surface and be very easy then to pull out, wearing gloves as they sting.

Same with other weeds; only ones you will need to dig out are docks and brambles and reeds.

As quick a fix as chemicals and cheaper.

If you can dig, it is wonderful exercise..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

solarisation? does the plot get much direct sunlight?

http://www.weekendgardener.net/organic-weed-killer/solarization-100710.htm

Roundup is perfectly safe, and as a biodegradable herbicide, if properly applied, there is no consequential risk. I suspect there are more toxins leeching from atmosphere/rainfall than any traces after 4 weeks.

Yes you will have to tackle new seedlings but thats easy, conscientious objectors can by all means resort to using elbow grease, and whilst all the huffing and puffing is going on on large sites, 'smart' gardeners can be enjoying the fruits of applied science etc.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Poison is poison and no way would it be allowed near anything planned for food growing - period.

Whatever current blurb we the chemical says.

And it will not deal with seeds which will sprout en masse when you plant now disturbing their dormancy..

We are starting from scratch here and as I cannot dig am using various no -dig options.

Partly covering with cardboard with manure atop.

Partly through black plastic mulch; we have a sileage COVER, not the thin wrapping stuff, and that will be laid atop the mess and seedlings planted through it. Potatoes do especially well using this method.

One area has a lot of nettles, which means good soil.

We know from experience that the roots of these after being covered a year will rise to the surface and be very easy then to pull out, wearing gloves as they sting.

Same with other weeds; only ones you will need to dig out are docks and brambles and reeds.

As quick a fix as chemicals and cheaper.

If you can dig, it is wonderful exercise..

Heard that far too many times in the past to believe it.

We grow pure organic food. Period. No chemicals.

Lazy is not smart.

Please read this carefully..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup

The producers are in this to make money.

And we in any case cannot afford these products; we are pensioners and every cent matters. The methods we use cost almost nothing as the sileage cover lasts forever.

No digging means that

Roundup is perfectly safe, and as a biodegradable herbicide, if properly applied, there is no consequential risk. I suspect there are more toxins leeching from atmosphere/rainfall than any traces after 4 weeks.

Yes you will have to tackle new seedlings but thats easy, conscientious objectors can by all means resort to using elbow grease, and whilst all the huffing and puffing is going on on large sites, 'smart' gardeners can be enjoying the fruits of applied science etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Good God ! that's one of the most frightening reports I've read in a long time. I have used roundup before to kill weeds in the driveway, but somehow I don't think I'll be using it again. I like the plastic option for the garden and I will probably try it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've used roundup before, but probably wouldn't again, on a veg plot at least in the same growing season. And it won't work yet anyway, as the weeds have to be growing.

If you wanted to go down the spray route there are other options:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about146.html

I'm extended the veg plot at the moment I've dug some of it, and have covered other parts until I get to them. The Brassica's will be going through weed membrane this year on the new part (the widely spaced brussels, sprouting broccoli, cabbage etc).

Foleyart wrote: »
    Good God ! that's one of the most frightening reports I've read in a long time. I have used roundup before to kill weeds in the driveway, but somehow I don't think I'll be using it again. I like the plastic option for the garden and I will probably try it this year.

:D What a gratifying response!!

Since I became too disabled to dig, other ways have had to be found and they do work. The sileage cover cost around E60 and will last many years with care. Slugs are the only real problem and you learn to lift the edges and pick them off early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

The methods we use cost almost nothing as the sileage cover lasts forever.

And do you not see the problem with that....... biodegradable?....

Heard that far too many times in the past to believe it.

We grow pure organic food. Period. No chemicals.

Lazy is not smart.

Please read this carefully..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup

The producers are in this to make money.

And we in any case cannot afford these products; we are pensioners and every cent matters. The methods we use cost almost nothing as the sileage cover lasts forever.

No digging means that

Read the report, and although wikipedia has a history of featuring erroneous articles, there is nothing too concerning in that report. What exactly concerns you? Substance abuse or improper use of many products can be dangerous or even lethal. Why would anyone want to ingest undiluted (or even diluted Roundup)? What do you think would happen to any person ingesting petrol, paint, etc etc.

There was nothing in the toxicity section that gives rise to any concern. The active ingredient (glysophate) is found in many herbicidal products. In regards to silage, how safe do you believe silage to be? If not how do you qualify its organic? Have you check for residues (nitrates etc etc)?

Appreciate your budgetary constraints, and yes there are alternatives. But costs there are several factors which might be considered before deciding on preferred or optimum approach to eradicating weeds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't trust wikipedia, but I certainly wouldn't be trusting Monsanto or the chemical companies either. If boards.ie had existed a few decades ago I'm we'd be having the debate about some chemical now banned.

If it was a previously cultivated veg plot, the cover and dig approach will probably get it back into action just as quick imo, given we're probably a few weeks off roundup being effective anyway. Dig the potato area now, and you could be planting spuds around about when you would be able to spray.

twenty8 wrote: »
    And do you not see the problem with that....... biodegradable?....

??? of course not. It is to be used forever....

The cardboard and manure mulch is different; that will become soil.

Read the report, and although wikipedia has a history of featuring erroneous articles, there is nothing too concerning in that report. What exactly concerns you? Substance abuse or improper use of many products can be dangerous or even lethal. Why would anyone want to ingest undiluted (or even diluted Roundup)? What do you think would happen to any person ingesting petrol, paint, etc etc.

There was nothing in the toxicity section that gives rise to any concern. The active ingredient (glysophate) is found in many herbicidal products. In regards to silage, how safe do you believe silage to be? If not how do you qualify its organic? Have you check for residues (nitrates etc etc)?

Appreciate your budgetary constraints, and yes there are alternatives. But costs there are several factors which might be considered before deciding on preferred or optimum approach to eradicating weeds etc.

No chemicals period ; not on anything for food.

There is simply no need for them them. So we do not use them. Why should anyone do that? Makes no sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust wikipedia, but I certainly wouldn't be trusting Monsanto or the chemical companies either.
    if what was on wikipedia was erroneous, i'd be fairly sure monsanto would be all over it like a bad rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Unfortunately being a city dweller - sileage plastic or cardboard with manure is just not an option for me - this area is over 2500sq ft & has lain dormant for about 5 years, full up with dock, brambles & I suspect bindweed which would make digging a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

2 tools for you and no toxic sprays the grass slasher weeder and the heavy duty hoe, read about them www.chillingtonhoes.com list of places that have them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Andip wrote: »
    Unfortunately being a city dweller - sileage plastic or cardboard with manure is just not an option for me - this area is over 2500sq ft & has lain dormant for about 5 years, full up with dock, brambles & I suspect bindweed which would make digging a nightmare.

Hey.

Sorry bout opening a dormant thread.

Are you interested in carpet for that veg patch. I have a house full of the stuff.

G.

you got hit by flooding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

fodda wrote: »
    2 tools for you and no toxic sprays the grass slasher weeder and the heavy duty hoe, read about them www.chillingtonhoes.com list of places that have them there.

I'd highly recommend the chillington. As a weed killer, there is an Irish organic type, owk.ie, or make your own, vinegar and washing up liquid, recipe on my blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

you got hit by flooding?

Ah, no - we were one of the lucky ones - just renovating the house and removing all the carpets.

Are you interested?

• Advertisement
Advertisement