Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Westport from Dublin

• 09-03-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would just like your advice and I don't want to sound like a miser but I was wondering would it be more economically feasible to travel on my own :Dto westport (nearer to Achill) by train then by a 1.4 litre car in terms of costs of petrol involved. The rturn fair on the train is €28 whereas I believe its a 4 hour round trip by car. Its just with the recession and all I am watching every penny that comes in and goes out.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Westport to the M50 is about 310 miles return. Taking it easy you should do 45 mpg (what car is it, some will do more), using almost 7 gallons. 7 gallons = 31 litres which at a cost of 127c per litre will cost you about €40.

Bus Eireann adult return is showing at about €25 currently.

"nearer to Achill" is vague. Westport is as far as the train will bring you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would that be approximately €40 each way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dublin to Westport in 2 hours, good luck!
    4 hours each way is more realistic.

Bear in mind car will be more comfortable and more direct than the train, plus potentially a bus at either end to/from stations. having the car also gives you more flexibility while there and about what times you leave at.

I'd drive, even if it is slightly more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Hitch hiking would be a lot cheaper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Achill is 45 minutes further from Westport, so drive and stop being so miserly.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are internet ONLY specials from Westport for the the evening train at €10 or the later morning train and the lunchtime trains are €15. There is a €2 credit card charge which you can avoid by paying with laser.

Coming back, they are lunchtime train €10 adult single, the evening train €15 compared to the normal web fare of €25.

Bring your own sandwiches to save a bit more. :) Be wary that some Heuston-Westport services mean you must travel in certain carriages (or you end up going to Galway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I would just like your advice and I don't want to sound like a miser but I was wondering would it be more economically feasible to travel on my own :Dto westport (nearer to Achill) by train then by a 1.4 litre car in terms of costs of petrol involved. The rturn fair on the train is €28 whereas I believe its a 4 hour round trip by car. Its just with the recession and all I am watching every penny that comes in and goes out.

Cheers

Train will be definitley cheaper for you as iy will cost nearly 170 euro on petrol as youll only get round 10 mpg with your ferrari/lambourghini. I presume you drive something like this when you can travel to dublin in 2 hours. Why are you worried about the recession if you drive something like this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

billyhead wrote: »
    Would that be approximately €40 each way

I explained the maths! Did you need to ask that!

Advertisement