Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft Reset kwestion D:

• 09-03-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,
    So what does soft reset do? I know it brings you to the menu but how do you get shiny pokémon with it?

Thanks

~Jazz~

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you're trying to get a shiney starter, you
    1 - start a new game
    2 - play till you get your starter
    3 - see if it's shiny
    If it's not, return to step one and repeat. Shouldn't take more than about 8000 tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

But say if you are looking through the grass or hatching an egg, how does it work then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It only really works when you come to a stationary pokémon for example, zapdos in Fire Red. You'd save before pressing A at the pokémon, then force the battle and keep soft-resetting until you get a shiny. Although like Banjo said you'll probably be doing it thousands of times before you'd get a shiny. Bear in mind you have a 1 in 8192 chance of coming across a shiny pokémon.

As for eggs, I can't remember on whether one of the parents has to be a shiny or not, and whether it's determined if the pokémon going to hatch is shiny before it hatches. If not it would be the same thing. Save when the egg is nearing hatching and then soft reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

IVs within Eggs are set when the Egg is gotten from the daycare. The shinyness is random (the 1 in 8000 or whatever it is chance) but the odds do reshuffle if the egg is traded.
    "Due to the fact that Generation III/IV shininess is determined by the OT's ID and Secret ID, and to the fact that eggs take the ID/SID of their hatchers when hatched, eggs can be shiny on the game that breeds them, but not on a game that they're traded to (or vice-versa) if still in their eggs. Even worse, the OT of the egg isn't changed until after it hatches -- this can lead to scenarios where an egg will hatch and appear shiny, but will not be shiny when actually checked (or vice-versa) because the ID/SID changes immediately after the hatching scene. " - Bulbapedia on Shiny Pokémon

Soft Resetting (SRing for short) is useful for reshuffling the stats of event/in game gift/ legendary Pokemon. It's a real nerdy thing to do!

I soft reset in gold and I got in a habit of it and wasn't expecting the shiny so soft reset after I got one :( worst 3 hours ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've SRed for the right Personality, but never a Shiny. I value my sanity! Getting the right personality can take long enough!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Only 1 in 8000? I like those odds!

Just thought - does the starter show as shiney when it enters that first battle or do you have to wait until the fight's done and it's back in it's pokeball to check it for a red star on the Pokémenu?

Also, how in god's name do you SR on a DS Lite? My hand is going into spasms trying to cover all the buttons. Did they move the Start and Select buttons to stop people over the age of 15 from SRing to get shineys / good natures? This is NoE's doing!

Oh, one other thing : I thought the nature and/or shineyness of legendaries was set when you started the game, not when you encountered them, so saving in front of them and SRing to get a shiney is pointless? Or did I pick that up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Why can't you just use the power button on the side?
    It works just as fast...

To soft reset on a DS lite, you hold L+R and start+select.

Oh I know how it's done, but actually doing it is the problem - Must be my old man hands, but trying to bridge those two buttons with my thumb while holding the right shoulder down is moidoh!

If you use the power button on the side you have to wait for the BaDing! and select the game from the front menu. That's 3 seconds or so and a few joules of energy more than an SR. Multiply it by 8000 and suddenly you've wasted over 6 hours listening to BaDings while trying to get a shiney!

• Advertisement
Advertisement