Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing the format of a file.

• 09-03-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble printing of powerpoint presentations from college. I can click through each individual slide but when i attach them to an email to be printed, i get an error message and i can't open the file at all.
    Anyone know what the problem might be?? I think it might have something to do with the format of the file but maybe not!
    I'd be really grateful for any help as i'm already about 3 weeks behind with my college notes!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

What email you using? Some have filters that will not allow certain attachments, Powerpoint can contain macros and are banned by some mail servers

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    What email you using? Some have filters that will not allow certain attachments, Powerpoint can contain macros and are banned by some mail servers

I'm using an eircom e-mail account. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem though because this problem has only occured in the last 3 weeks or so..I never had any problem with attachments before!
    I think the most likely thing is that the lecturers have changed the file formats or something! (which my computer isn't recognising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Is the file a powerpoint presentation (.pps)? You should be able to attach it without fuss! I'd take down and google the error message you're getting.

Also have you tried to zip and then attach it? (winrar, 7zip, winzip)

If it's a particular file that your machine won't recognise I'd suggest installing OpenOffice for a quick fix http://www.openoffice.org/ It's similar to Microsoft Office (except for the name of the programs) and it will recognise their formats (.doc for word files .ppt for powerpoint etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Maybe your college has changed to Powerpoint 2007/Office 2007, which means that all file extensions have an X added just to make your life miserable. Documents go from .doc to .docx, presentations go from .ppt to .pptx, and so on. In which case your error can be that the version of powerpoint that you're using is not fully compatible. Ask your college to send it out in a slightly older format. Or there could be something online that'll allow it to be viewed only.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

hey i had the same problem, go to where you would print it out and change the printer from what ever printer to something called PDF something, then print it and it will print it to a PDF file somewhere on youtr computer, but it wont print out a paper copy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Overature wrote: »
    hey i had the same problem, go to where you would print it out and change the printer from what ever printer to something called PDF something, then print it and it will print it to a PDF file somewhere on youtr computer, but it wont print out a paper copy

You can also "print" it to a microsoft .xps file, which you may be able to attach to the email and print at your college/home.
    I'm not sure it's in older than vista, but I believe it's been in Office for a long time, just called something else.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Is the file a powerpoint presentation (.pps)? You should be able to attach it without fuss! I'd take down and google the error message you're getting.

Also have you tried to zip and then attach it? (winrar, 7zip, winzip)

If it's a particular file that your machine won't recognise I'd suggest installing OpenOffice for a quick fix http://www.openoffice.org/ It's similar to Microsoft Office (except for the name of the programs) and it will recognise their formats (.doc for word files .ppt for powerpoint etc).

Thanks for your reply.
    Actually, its a .ppt document.
    Would you mind telling me how to zip the file? I'm afraid i'm not too handy when it comes to computers!...

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You can also "print" it to a microsoft .xps file, which you may be able to attach to the email and print at your college/home.
    I'm not sure it's in older than vista, but I believe it's been in Office for a long time, just called something else.

Thanks..but how do i go about changing the file to .xps format? It in .ppt format at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Monkey09 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    Actually, its a .ppt document.
    Would you mind telling me how to zip the file? I'm afraid i'm not too handy when it comes to computers!...

Rereading your problem I'm not actually sure that zipping would help. But if you want you just right click on it, click "Add to zip" if there's an option.

I'd also try installing that OpenOffice (it's free....not sure if I mentioned that!), and see if that reads the file.

Hope it works for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Try saving it down as a PDF...in Powerpoint go "save as" and in the "save as type" (this is a drop down box) highlight it as a pdf.

Email the pdf and print as normal.

best of luck with it....

finisklin

• Advertisement
Advertisement