Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop shutdown problem

• 28-11-2004 12:14am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The problem is it wont!

Friend of mine was having problems with his relatively new laptop.

He does not use the net a lot but somehow managed to accumulate quite a few viruses and trojans when he did! I managed to get rid of them with adaware and mccaffee but there are still one or two problems the main one being it simply will not shut down 'normally'

Anyone any suggestions as to how I mightt solve this? (Its XP home)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

It's possibly a process not terminating when you go to shutdown. Try killing processes off one by one until you find the guilty one. Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up the Task Manager, select the Processes tab, then right click on the one you want to stop. There're some you don't want to stop or won't be able to like System, Explorer, svchost etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think the easiest thing to do in this case is a complete reinstall:( Apart from not shutting down the processor seems to be running almost permanently at 100%!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I agree with zenith, a lot of the time it's waiting for a program or service to exit normaly before it shuts down... should be simple enough to remove the offending process if you can track it down.
    Although if the things riddled with viruses, God only knows what else they're after messing with... maybe I'm paranoid, but I usualy reformat after a virus, even if it's been "cleaned" and the payload was pretty simple... I just don't trust antivirus programs to find everything... once the machine is compromised - I'd rather just start from scratch.

Advertisement