Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage query?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

i'm currently paying over 5% interest rate, my fixed term is up later this year and i'd like to try get the rate down a bit. thing is the house is in negative equity, possibly by €30-40,000. payments have never really been a problem, (though the bank are saying i'm €150 in arrears) i put money in every week to cover the cost and more. when my fixed term is up, would another bank be willing to take me on with the mortgage, or due to the fact there is negative equity would i have to stay with my current mortgage provider??

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

No other lender will give you a mortgage that is more than the value of the house.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unfortunately if you're in negative equity, you're stuck where you are, no other bank is going to take on the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

thanks
    right, another query on this thing.

i owe, lets say 200,000 and it's worth in the region of 160,000. would the bank allow me to sell for this price, and then with the 40,000 i owe them could i go for another mortgage of 120,000. then in turn, i would owe them 160,000, or is this just plain crazy? :o

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can't have a mortgage on a property you don't own, and the bank won't issue a mortgage that's over the value of another property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement