Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish "Citizens" Involved in Plot to Kill Swedish Cartoonist

• 09-03-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Just found this on the RTE website and i'm somewhat shocked.
    Arrests over alleged plot to kill cartoonist

Gardaí have arrested five people in Waterford and two others in Cork in connection with an investigation into a conspiracy to murder a Swedish cartoonist.
    Cartoonist Lars Vilks has been threatened over his drawing depicting the Prophet Muhammad with the body of a dog.
    The head of an al-Qaeda faction in Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, posted an audio tape on the Internet in September 2007 offering $100,000 for the killing of Mr Vilks.

This morning, detectives arrested three men and two women in Waterford and Tramore and another man and woman at Ballincollig, near Cork city. A number of searches also took place.
    A garda spokesman said the operation was part of an investigation into a conspiracy to murder an individual in another jurisdiction.
    Members of the Garda National Support Services and the Special Detective Unit were also involved in this morning's operation.
    Gardaí say they are working closely with police forces in a number of other European countries and in the US.
    The seven people arrested this morning range in age from their mid-20s to their late-40s.
    They are being questioned at garda stations in Waterford, Tramore, Dungarvan and Thomastown.
    All are being detained under section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, which allows for them to be held for up to a week.
    Those in custody are originally from Morocco and Yemen, but it is understood they all have refugee status and are legally in the country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0309/waterford.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ah ffs, glad they were caught anyway, I feel sorry for the cartoonist, I can't imagine what its like to be on some fundamentalist hit list. Its incredibly negative PR for Islam also, but I suppose the fundies rarely consider or even understand how their threats are viewed by rational people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I like the way religion gives logic the middle finger-highly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

This is the kind of scum that we let in so easy here. They should be deported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

There is no rolleyes emoticon condescending enough for these people.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

There are already at least 2 other threads about this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Al Qaeda are offering a hundred grand to kill him. I'll [...be taking a holiday for making a completely inappropriate suggestion...]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Al Qaeda are offering a hundred grand to kill him. I'll [...]
    Corkfeen is taking a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm not sure I see the problem.

1) We shouldn't, ideally, be granting refugee status to militants of any stripe.

2) If we fail to detect them on entry, then they should be removed if any of their actions are illegal, and linked to an ideology (as opposed to say, breaking a speed limit. Illegal, but not grounds for deportion I think we can all agree).

Nevore wrote: »

1) We shouldn't, ideally, be granting refugee status to militants of any stripe.

2) If we fail to detect them on entry, then they should be removed if any of their actions are illegal, and linked to an ideology (as opposed to say, breaking a speed limit. Illegal, but not grounds for deportion I think we can all agree).

It was the generalisation I found objectionable, as if these guys were typical examples of refugees.

• Advertisement

Eh, I didn't read it that way. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You think it's better to send them on their merry way rather than throwing them in prison for engaging in conspiracy to murder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Zillah wrote: »
    You think it's better to send them on their merry way rather than throwing them in prison for engaging in conspiracy to murder?

What's that about hearing hoofbeats and assuming Zebras?

When Nevore said "removed" it seemed fairly obvious to me to assume something like "extradited" instead of just being sent on "their merry way"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

When Nevore said "removed" it seemed fairly obvious to me to assume something like "extradited" instead of just being sent on "their merry way"
    You'd have to question whether they'd be greeted by police or a brass band on extradition back home though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just because a plot is uncovered in Ireland it doesn't make it an Irish plot.
    As an Irishman I find the thread title misleading and somewhat offensive. Those nutjobs are not Irish, their faith seems to be their nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Two messages will now go out to the rest of the world;
    1. Ireland has Islamic extremists.
    2. Ireland has struck a blow against ignorance and intolerance, and stands in solidarity with the Danes and the Swedes in this regard.

Congratulations are due to the Gardai anyway for preventing the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

69 wrote: »
    Just because a plot is uncovered in Ireland it doesn't make it an Irish plot.
    As an Irishman I find the thread title misleading and somewhat offensive. Those nutjobs are not Irish, their faith seems to be their nationality.

I read somewhere that they had Irish citizenship but I can't find the link at the moment. Splitting hairs I know but no need to get offended over semantics. Thread title has been slightly changed nonetheless.

Edit: Found the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256616/Arrests-plot-kill-Mohammed-cartoonist-Lars-Vilks-Ireland.html
    It is understood that some of those arrested hold Irish citizenship and a number are originally from the Middle East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a good link to see is www.strateypage.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I read somewhere that they had Irish citizenship but I can't find the link at the moment. Splitting hairs I know but no need to get offended over semantics. Thread title has been slightly changed nonetheless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256616/Arrests-plot-kill-Mohammed-cartoonist-Lars-Vilks-Ireland.html

Trust the Daily Mail to point it out of course
    "IRISH ISLAMIC TERRORISTS WILL GIVE YOU SWINE FLU"

Anything from a reliable source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Anything from a reliable source?

Woops. My bad. Didn't notice it was the Daily Mail somehow. :o

Found it on The Times website anyway.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7055282.ece
    They are believed to include Algerian, Libyan, Croatian, US and Palestinian citizens and at least one naturalised Irish citizen.

And also from the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0309/breaking40.html
    The Irish Times understands most of those arrested are from Algeria, Croatia, Libya, the United States and Palestinian, and that they are legally resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

recedite wrote: »
    Two messages will now go out to the rest of the world;
    1. Ireland has Islamic extremists.
    2. Ireland has struck a blow against ignorance and intolerance, and stands in solidarity with the Danes and the Swedes in this regard.
    Congratulations are due to the Gardai anyway for preventing the attack.

No, we struck a blow against murder. The arrest of these people has nothing to do with Ireland as a country standing in solidarity with the Danes and the Swedes against ignorance and intolerance. We've done the exact opposite by introducing a ridiculous blasphemy law.

Zillah wrote: »
    No, I thought it would be obvious that the deportation would come after the jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

No, I thought it would be obvious that the deportation would come after the jail sentence.
    Would it ?
    I mean if you grant asylum to someone on the basis their life would be endangered should they return what makes you think that would change once they have completed their sentence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

sionnach wrote: »
    No, we struck a blow against murder. The arrest of these people has nothing to do with Ireland as a country standing in solidarity with the Danes and the Swedes against ignorance and intolerance. We've done the exact opposite by introducing a ridiculous blasphemy law.
    Maybe, but the rest of the world doesn't know that. :)

Would it ?
    I mean if you grant asylum to someone on the basis their life would be endangered should they return what makes you think that would change once they have completed their sentence ?
    Well, a couple of things there.

1: The original asylum may have been gained fraudulently. "Please don't send me back to Yemen, the Islamists there will kill me." Then the guy turns out to be an Islamist... So that would need to be looked at.

2: Now that I think about it, deportation might not be ideal anyway, regardless of the asylum status. Considering the joke that is our justice system, I'd be far more inclined to see cooperation between the Gardai and the Dutch police that would lead to an extradition request from the Netherlands. I don't know about them specifically, but several countries have it in their book of statutes that conspiracy against the state/it's citizens even when done outside the state, is a crime prosecutable within it.

3: Asylum is granted on the basis that we have a moral obligation to prevent harm right? It could be argued that someone who then abuses that protection has waived their right to it.
    Take away the political level and put it this way. I think we have an obligation to not let someone starve to death if they're found at my door. If I then take that person in and give them succour, and they then abuse that hospitality, I'm no longer obliged to care for them, even if kicking them out of the house may result in them starving to death. Or whatever, you get what I mean, I'm sure.

Why not just revoke their citizenship and deport them, err, without making the taxpayer have to pay for their stay in an Irish prison. It would happen in Saudi Arabia or the U.A.E.

Why not just revoke their citizenship and deport them, err, without making the taxpayer have to pay for their stay in an Irish prison. It would happen in Saudi Arabia or the U.A.E.
    Because they should be punished? I wouldn't mind whether they served here or in Amsterdam but I do think think the consequences should be a bit more than a simple revocation of asylum status and a plane ticket back to a country where they'd likely be hailed as heroes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Were these people planning the murder as a result of their religious convictions, or for the $150,000 bounty? I'd be inclined to say that the American woman, "Jihad Jane" (great name), planned it as a result of her faith, and the other 7 in Ireland were doing it for the money (mainly - killing Vilks was a bonus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Because they're too dangerous to be let off prison.
    KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Were these people planning the murder as a result of their religious convictions, or for the $150,000 bounty? I'd be inclined to say that the American woman, "Jihad Jane" (great name), planned it as a result of her faith, and the other 7 in Ireland were doing it for the money (mainly - killing Vilks was a bonus).

If someone were to murder someone for money I'd imagine they'd want a lot more than $100,000 split 7 ways. It'd be pretty funny if the reward was denominated in dollars though:D.

Because they should be punished? I wouldn't mind whether they served here or in Amsterdam but I do think think the consequences should be a bit more than a simple revocation of asylum status and a plane ticket back to a country where they'd likely be hailed as heroes.

Its not simple. Deportation is a serious matter.

Its not simple. Deportation is a serious matter.
    On the surface, that reads as "... so they shouldn't be deported."
    Care to expand a bit?

On the surface, that reads as "... so they shouldn't be deported."
    Care to expand a bit?

Its a serious matter if your citizenship is revoked. Thats what I meant.

Why should the Irish taxpayer pay for terrorists? Even to keep them in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

What kind of selection process should we use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

What do you feel is an appropriate response to your being offended by someone mocking your faith?

a. Be offended.
    b. Write a strongly worded letter to the Times.
    c. Chop off their heads.
    d. All of the above.

Anyone who ticks c or d shouldn't be given asylum.

But seriously - we're allowed freedom of expression (just about, and not in Germany) in most of Europe. If you're an asylum seeker and you don't believe in freedom of expression, you might want to consider seeking asylum elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement