Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi driver strike

• 09-03-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭

Taxi drivers across the country have withdrawn their services in support of the sit-in by two members of the Irish Taxi Council (ITC) who are calling for a cap on the number of taxi drivers in the industry.

A demonstration in support of the drivers was called in Dublin this morning with up to 500 drivers withdrawing their service at Dublin airport from 8am. Drivers in Cork, Waterford, Kerry, Limerick, Waterford, Sligo and Donegal joined the protest and withdrew their service later in the day.

249897_1.jpg?ts=1268151446

(c) Irish Times

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Drivers outside Cork Airport are intimidating other taxi-drivers entering the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

It's NOT a strike .It's a withdrawal of service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

parsi wrote: »
    Driavers outside Cork Airport are intimidating other taxi-drivers entering the airport.
    ah god love them . they're taxi drivers they get abuse from drunks every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Live Drive

This is causing major delays in the city centre now, especially the north quays. More details here: http://twitter.com/LiveDrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oisindoyle wrote: »
    It's NOT a strike .It's a withdrawal of service

Nice of them to block off O'Connell street while they're at it. Does their entitlement extend to withdrawing Dublin Bus services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Live Drive

If you normally get your bus on O'Connell St we are being told by Dublin Bus that Southbound buses will be leaving from Parnell Square East and Northbound from Parnell Sq West

This might change, but that's the setup at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Why are the police not helping? They should be moving them off. Before I hear the "Wey've a roight ta protest" line. That is true, you do. You do not however have the right to block the entire city.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Why are the police not helping? They should be moving them off. Before I hear the "Wey've a roight ta protest" line. That is true, you do. You do not however have the right to block the entire city.

So where do you suggest they protest considering that their workplace is on the streets .There are 1000s of taxis in Dublin so obviously if they protest they are inevitably gonna block the street ,whether they want to or not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

paulm17781 wrote: »

TBF the Gards are keeping them penned in. We're across from the 'MafiaRank' on O'Connell st and there has been a police presence since this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm half tempted to get into my car and start offering people lifts for free from the airport just to annoy them. At this stage I actually hate taxi drivers, do they think the rest of us don't have it hard?

There wouldnt be ANY protest if the Taxi Regulator did what the joint oireachtas committee on transport recommended..Frank Fahy its chairman said kathleen doyle (the regulator) hadnt a clue and the report she published into the industry was like reading the Beano ,,,,His words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Onkle wrote: »
    I'm half tempted to get into my car and start offering people lifts for free from the airport just to annoy them. At this stage I actually hate taxi drivers, do they think the rest of us don't have it hard?

:cool:

illegal_taxi.jpg

tell me madame, do you know what this protest is about?

There wouldnt be ANY protest if the Taxi Regulator did what the joint oireachtas committee on transport recommended..Frank Fahy its chairman said kathleen doyle (the regulator) hadnt a clue and the report she published into the industry was like reading the Beano ,,,,His words.

I couldn't give a toss about any committee at this stage. Why don't they go on strike properly? Why do they have to block main roads in our city centre? What gives them that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Someone who is self-employed can't handle a bit of competition despite plenty of other people being happy enough with how much they're making. Some people also seem to believe that having kids or a mortgage should entitle them to be paid more than someone with neither, just like in, oh wait, no other job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Is it not time for us to contact the Minister of transport and ask him if our wages have to be benchmarked against our European friends, should not taxi fares be benchmarked against European Taxi fares?

amacachi wrote: »
    Someone who is self-employed can't handle a bit of competition despite plenty of other people being happy enough with how much they're making. Some people also seem to believe that having kids or a mortgage should entitle them to be paid more than someone with neither, just like in, oh wait, no other job.

You see its's idiotic comments like that that shows you having a clue .It's nothing to do with what you said ..either get your facts right or stop making stupid comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whatever sympathy the public had with Taxi drivers will be gone pretty soon if they keep acting like this. If they're not happy with driving a taxi, give it up and find another job, simples ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    Whatever sympathy the public had with Taxi drivers will be gone pretty soon if they keep acting like this. If they're not happy with driving a taxi, give it up and find another job, simples ;)

Many many are trying to do that believe me

• Advertisement

You see its's idiotic comments like that that shows you having a clue .It's nothing to do with what you said ..either get your facts right or stop making stupid comments

Please, I beg you, enlighten me.

wrong my friend. illegal taxi drivers with no insurance no knowledge and very importantly no garda backround checks. would you like your teenage daughter getting into a dodgy drivers car alone at night? my point is it's not just about money it's also about the publics interest to keep a safe industry. oh and when I say illegal drivers I don't mean foriegn nationals. it's in everybodies interest to have a safe taxi service as outlined by the Oireachtas committee on transport but blatantly ignored by minister and regulator alike. I'm sure that Oireachtas committee on transport cost a lot of taxpayers money only to be thrown in the bin because the minister didn't like the recomendations.

Please, I beg you, enlighten me.

Here's a reminder of what OJTC recommended:

1. That legislation should be introduced immediately to provide for the introduction of a three year moratorium on the issue of taxi licenses with the exception of the provision of wheelchair accessible taxis.

2. That the Minister’s proposal to subsume the Taxi Regulation Commission into the Dublin Transportation Office be implemented immediately.

3. In view of the inadequacy of taxi ranks in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford the Committee proposes that the Taxi Regulator establish the number of extra taxi rank spaces to be provided in each city in 2009 and 2010 and require those additional taxi rank spaces to be provided by the relevant local authorities.

4. That the Garda authorities be given responsibility for enforcement of taxi driver licensing in association with the Taxi Regulator. That a senior Garda be assigned to this role in each Garda division in view of the fact that the Taxi Regulator has already stated that she does not have enough resources to monitor the situation properly (nine enforcers).

5. That insurance certificates be checked in real time to rule out the amount of fraudulent certificates being presented.

6. That the new national licensing system that was introduced in 2006 which gives each license holder a unique 5 digit license number should include the city of issue.

7. That an authorised company would supply the taxi / hackney plates and roof signs with a security code to ensure that they cannot be copied and that they should be supplied only by N.C.T. centres.

8. That new applicants be required to undergo tests equal to or exceeding the standard required to acquire an Irish driving license.

9. To further improve the standard of service delivered, new criteria should be implemented through the examination process that would include a formal interview and proficiency in Irish or English.

10. That taxi drivers who wish to relinquish their plates should be obliged to return them to the Taxi Regulator at the purchase price. This would eliminate the practice of reselling them through newspapers etc.

11. That in the future the practice of renting or leasing taxi licenses should be discontinued with the exception of car replacements.

Plus drivers want the 9 yr rule looked at again and also the Taxi Regulator has reduced from 5 yrs to 3 yrs the time a taxi drivers licence is to be re newed ,She also increased the fee from 3 euro to 250 euro ...an increase of approx 8000%.No industry would put up with that unjustifiable increase

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badinfleunce

I dont think taxi drivers give a toss about the punters. Lets face it when the general public have that much contempt for the taxis whod blame them.

I support the Irish taxi driver 100% and have a lot more sympathy for them than the public servants in this country who believe they should be entitled to the sun the moon and the stars.

Problem in this country - too many begrudgers and self opinionated assh&les who speak before they think and cant think when they need to speak!

Like "find another job" - Do you have a magic wand or a job stimilus package for this country? If you do contact Brian Cowan who is about to reshuffle his cabinet otherwise refer to paragraph above which in my mind sums up!

We need to support each other in this country and rise up as a collective all singing from the same hymm sheet - otherwise we are all doomed and it wont be only the Taxi drivers who will be protesting - many of the smartass posters on this thread may be joining them in their struggle for survival in a country that is quickly sliding down the tubes.

Madame? Typical condescending Taxi Driver attitude. I couldn't care less at this stage, if you want to go on strike go ahead but don't block the main arteries to the city, inconveniencing us innocent commuters

1. That legislation should be introduced immediately to provide for the introduction of a three year moratorium on the issue of taxi licenses with the exception of the provision of wheelchair accessible taxis.

2. That the Minister’s proposal to subsume the Taxi Regulation Commission into the Dublin Transportation Office be implemented immediately.

3. In view of the inadequacy of taxi ranks in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford the Committee proposes that the Taxi Regulator establish the number of extra taxi rank spaces to be provided in each city in 2009 and 2010 and require those additional taxi rank spaces to be provided by the relevant local authorities.

4. That the Garda authorities be given responsibility for enforcement of taxi driver licensing in association with the Taxi Regulator. That a senior Garda be assigned to this role in each Garda division in view of the fact that the Taxi Regulator has already stated that she does not have enough resources to monitor the situation properly (nine enforcers).

5. That insurance certificates be checked in real time to rule out the amount of fraudulent certificates being presented.

6. That the new national licensing system that was introduced in 2006 which gives each license holder a unique 5 digit license number should include the city of issue.

7. That an authorised company would supply the taxi / hackney plates and roof signs with a security code to ensure that they cannot be copied and that they should be supplied only by N.C.T. centres.

8. That new applicants be required to undergo tests equal to or exceeding the standard required to acquire an Irish driving license.

9. To further improve the standard of service delivered, new criteria should be implemented through the examination process that would include a formal interview and proficiency in Irish or English.

10. That taxi drivers who wish to relinquish their plates should be obliged to return them to the Taxi Regulator at the purchase price. This would eliminate the practice of reselling them through newspapers etc.

11. That in the future the practice of renting or leasing taxi licenses should be discontinued with the exception of car replacements.

Plus drivers want the 9 yr rule looked at again and also the Taxi Regulator has reduced from 5 yrs to 3 yrs the time a taxi drivers licence is to be re newed ,She also increased the fee from 3 euro to 250 euro ...an increase of approx 8000%.No industry would put up with that unjustifiable increase

Nothing in there about having a decent quality of car, about having receipt machines that work, about not smoking, about showing respect to other road users , about not spouting racist claptrap, about retesting drivers every X years.

wrong my friend. illegal taxi drivers with no insurance no knowledge and very importantly no garda backround checks. would you like your teenage daughter getting into a dodgy drivers car alone at night? my point is it's not just about money it's also about the publics interest to keep a safe industry. oh and when I say illegal drivers I don't mean foriegn nationals. it's in everybodies interest to have a safe taxi service as outlined by the Oireachtas committee on transport but blatantly ignored by minister and regulator alike. I'm sure that Oireachtas committee on transport cost a lot of taxpayers money only to be thrown in the bin because the minister didn't like the recomendations.
    Just how many illegal drivers are there? Any estimates? Of course illegal drivers shouldn't be allowed continue with impunity, but that's the Gardaí for ya. Don't worry, my dad was a taxi driver, some of the crap the Gardaí will try and argue is hilarious.

1. Limit competition.
    2. What difference will that make? It'll only make it harder to get anything done when it's part of a larger department. I fully agree the regulator is beyond a joke.
    3. I'll agree to an extent.
    4. Unless the experience with Gardaí in Dublin is very different to here in Dundalk I really can't see why any driver would want that.
    5. Ok, if that's not currently the case I can understand the annoyance. Is it only taxis that the Gardaí can't check straightaway?
    6. Why?
    7. If it meant a disappearance of those wretched "TACSAÍ" ones then fair enough.
    8. Wait, what? So if I have a licence I can currently just become a taxi driver?
    9. Disagree.
    10. Disagree.
    11. Disagree.

Don't get me wrong, the regulator is a joke, but how much of a difference would any of those changes other than limiting the number of licences make to income? Realistically I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

What is it about taxi drivers that they seem to become incredibly stupid when in a group? Individually you can have a good chat to them about the regulation issue. Then they get together and blockade the city. End result? No-one now cares why they are "striking", everybody just hates them.

• Advertisement

Madame? Typical condescending Taxi Driver attitude. I couldn't care less at this stage, if you want to go on strike go ahead but don't block the main arteries to the city, inconveniencing us innocent commuters
    i'm not a taxi driver madame.

parsi wrote: »
    Nothing in there about having a decent quality of car, about having receipt machines that work, about not smoking, about showing respect to other road users , about not spouting racist claptrap, about retesting drivers every X years.

Well its quite obvious that you're a sh*t stirrer and thats fine ,hope you're happy in your ways .

Well its quite obvious that you're a sh*t stirrer and thats fine ,hope you're happy in your ways .

Ah. So that's the nub of the issue - they only want the recommendations that suit them, not recommendations that may help the travelling punter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

This idea is enough to make me completely against taxi drivers and their protests.

It is kind of well known that limiting entry into a market only serves to hinder competition. Looks at what happened with the de-regulation of the airline industry with Ryanair, cheap fares etc.

Would it be beyond taxi drivers to maybe start competing with each other? eg offering discounts etc.

I for one would be much more willing to use taxis more often if you could agree fares beforehand, shop around for value etc.

As for the protest today, I really don't see how blocking up the whole of the city, and extending ordinary commuter's journey times could make anybody have any sympathy towards them.

This idea is enough to make me completely against taxi drivers and their protests.

It is kind of well known that limiting entry into a market only serves to hinder competition. Looks at what happened with the de-regulation of the airline industry with Ryanair, cheap fares etc.

Would it be beyond taxi drivers to maybe start competing with each other? eg offering discounts etc.

I for one would be much more willing to use taxis more often if you could agree fares beforehand, shop around for value etc.

As for the protest today, I really don't see how blocking up the whole of the city, and extending ordinary commuter's journey times could make anybody have any sympathy towards them.

The recommendations are by the OIREACHTAS TRANSPORT COMMITTEE, a moratorium was recommended so the authorities could sort the industry out.It in a complete mess,
    Many non licenced drivers working where they shouldnt be ,being just one .As for discounts some companies are doing it now ,unsuccessfully because the drivers are NOT making or getting more fares.
    Its worth noting that the companies that are offering discounts are still chargeing the driver FULL rent money when the driver is the one taking the hit ,not the company owners.
    Discounts in my opinion leads to a race to the bottom ,things are bad enough as they are for most .

Your missing the point - Taxis are controlled in this country by the government. Its not free trade so the laws of supply and demand dont apply. If they did Im sure many taxi drivers would willingly apply these laws and discount fares when demand is low and "increase fares" when demand is high. Thats the laws of competition and they dont apply so the idea of competition is not applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Pictures and live video on rte news show's they have BLOCKED the streets of Dublin AGAIN. These fúck wits should be arrested and plates taken off them.
    How dare they hold Dublin and any other place to ransom over their whinging ways!

A spokesman on rte:

"This stoppage is due to the regulator making us require cars under 9 years old".
    That's hardly a bad thing. I don't want to sit in some 96 carina in bits!

"The cost of a licence has increased"
    would this not help the industry?

"We cannot make any money"

so cannot several small to medium businesses who went out of business of adapted to meet their needs

There are too many taxi's. Once again I REFUSE to use taxi's since their last hysterical over the top cry baby 'stoppage' had me 4 hours late for work borderlining me losing my job! fúcking spas.

To add insult to injury. The gards put traffic cones blocking off o'connel st. instead of moving the cars on?

What would happen if I pulled this ridiculous and childish stunt?

There's how to clear too many taxi drivers. Take the plates off the idiots blocking the road. RTE even has their reg's on the screen. How much harder can it be?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

These taxi drivers are self employed businessmen(or women) right?.
    A little tip for yis. Running a good business is about seeing an oppertunity & making the most of it. There was a great opportunity to make good money today while the rest of the tossers were stopping everyone else getting on with thier business. How many of the taxi drivers seized that opportunity???
    No business sense at all.
    Exactly!. Or do like all the people ye are so fond of slating, get 2 jobs!
    Just how many illegal drivers are there? Any estimates? Of course illegal drivers shouldn't be allowed continue with impunity, but that's the Gardaí for ya.
    There are illegal operators in my businees too. I report them & follow the procedures. I don't cry about it & block streets & act illegally myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your missing the point - Taxis are controlled in this country by the government. Its not free trade so the laws of supply and demand dont apply. If they did Im sure many taxi drivers would willingly apply these laws and discount fares when demand is low .
    There is no law preventing taxi's from offering lower fares.;)

koolkid wrote: »
    There are illegal operators in my businees too. I report them & follow the procedures. I don't cry about it & block streets & act illegally myself.

Exactly. I could name 3 illegals in town here, all white, been at it for years. Everyone knows it but none of the other drivers have reported it, so tough titty as far as I'm concerned. The reason I don't report it myself is because I couldn't really care less, no sympathy for anyone who gets in one, I've turned one down when it was sent on to me before.
    I really would like to know why there aren't a load of tow trucks and paddy wagons getting a run-out on O'Connell Street right now.

i'm not a taxi driver madame.

Are you trying to get a rise out of me by calling me 'madame'? Really intelligent way of debating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Have to say I don't really care why the taxi drivers are doing this we've all got our own problems, lay offs, wage cuts etc. they've no right to hold the city up like this a delibrate attempt to f things up during rush hour. I for one will go out of my way to not get a taxi as a result of this :mad:

I wonder how many others will do the same did the drivers not learn from the backlash last time pi$$ off your customers and they'll go somewhere else maybe not understanding basic business practices is how they ended up in this mess in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Exactly. I could name 3 illegals in town here, all white, been at it for years. Everyone knows it but none of the other drivers have reported it, so tough titty as far as I'm concerned. The reason I don't report it myself is because I couldn't really care less, no sympathy for anyone who gets in one, I've turned one down when it was sent on to me before.
    I really would like to know why there aren't a load of tow trucks and paddy wagons getting a run-out on O'Connell Street right now.

so why complain !!! ..... if you are not part of the solution - YOU are part of the problem.

As far as I'm concerned - Taxi Drivers have been complaining and whining like nurses and teachers (just before the budget) - its not fair why is it us that has to suffer .... the answer is ...everyone else has already suffered - now its your turn.

congo_90 wrote: »

"The cost of a licence has increased"
    would this not help the industry?

HOW WOULD IT HELP THE INDUSTRY ,,HOW WHATS YOUR LOGIC?? AN 8000% INCREASE THAT DRIVERS CANNOT AFFORD
    [/B][/U]

koolkid wrote: »
    There is no law preventing taxi's from offering lower fares.;)

Why should they when they cant charge a higher fare when demand is high.

Ryanair may have great discounts on many flights but when there is demand on a particular flight like the France vs Ireland game within minutes the fares shot up so they could capitalise.

The taxi driver here doesnt have that privilage so the idea of free trade doesnt apply.

However your statement is correct and As a passenger you can negotiate your fare in advance of travelling in a taxi - but the metered fare is the legal correct fare as set by the Dept. of Transport.

You see the travelling public cried out for taxis for years - now Dublin has a taxi fleet superceeding that of New york and the public want this as a virtually free service. - Typical - Lesson to be learned you get nothing for nothing in this life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Let's get this right.

For a Taxi Driver to make money they need people in their cabs to pay fares.

For Taxi drivers in Dublin, these would be people in Dublin going from a to b needing transport to do so.

Right so far?

So who are the clever dicks in the taxi associations that decided without notice to screw up the entire transport system in Dublin giving the 2 fingers to the people that they need as customers?

And Taxis wonder WHY they don't have as much business as they used to?

Since their stupid blockade of last year I found out that busses can get me to where i want to go in Dublin almost as quickly as a taxi at much lesser cost and since then I haven't had to take a taxi. Whereas before that I would have used a taxi a couple of times a week.

Their loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Who here thinks we should block the taxi ranks in protest of public v ignorant taxi drivers? A national "don't use a taxi,use anything else".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I've read the 4 pages of posts here and I don't know what they are protesting about. No point in arresting them and making a few martyrs. Pulling the licenses would be a good option if the law allowed it.

congo_90 wrote: »
    Who here thinks we should block the taxi ranks in protest of public v ignorant taxi drivers? A national "don't use a taxi,use anything else".

When are you leading your march Congo? Id love to see it. Its easy sat behind your screen hiding and shouting your mouth off but what id really like to see is someone like you with such a loud voice actually do what you are suggesting to do..............So when can we expect to see you lead your march and block in the taxi drivers? .............. You wouldnt have the ability or the balls!

Why should they when they cant charge a higher fare when demand is high.
    Ehhh Its called competition in the free market.
    Why should competition be curbed just because taxi drivers dont want to compete for business.
    - but the metered fare is the legal correct fare as set by the Dept. of Transport.
    A discount is allowed at the discretion of the driver. Stop making excuses,
    - You see the travelling public cried out for taxis for years - now Dublin has a taxi fleet superceeding that of New york and the public want this as a virtually free service. -
    Noone expects a free service. What are you basing that comment on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement