Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeper Hill

• 09-03-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've heard Keeper Hill is a nice place to walk up, just wondering where exactly it is?Having google mapped it, it seems to be in the middle of nowhere, somewhere near Newport.
    Where's the starting point?Is there parking?Is the walk well marked out?How long a walk is it?Would you need climbing boots and sticks or would a pair of runners do?

Sorry bout all the questions, hopefully someone can give me some information
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Hi Littlemiss
    its a great place for a walk, and newport is where to get directions from.
    Its well signposted from Newport on and there is a couple of car parks.
    I can walk to the top in about 2-3 hours from the car, another hour or so on the way down, there is a rough road/trail all the way up, but a good pair of boots/walking shoes would still be necessary if doing the whole thing

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It is marked for different trails.

Try http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,8014,en.html

I suggest from the car park turning right and walking up that way. It's easier a walk as not so steep through the forest. You can walk back down the other way then. This suggestion is from the main car park by the horse riding place and not from the smaller one where parking can be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

my brother went up there a few years ago with a few friends on scooters! dont ask how, apparently theres a big mast there too, he climbed half way up it and recorded views on his camera, you can see nenagh and limerick from it apparently..the muppet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Take the Newport exit from Finnegans roundabout. The Newport road is about 6 miles(ish) long before you come to Newport itself. When in Newport continue driving through till you come to the first crossroads and take a left. Do not turn left after the maxol petrol station; it is the next left you need to take. Continue on this road for about half a mile where you will come to a graveyard. At this graveyard take a right turn. Then take the next left. Continue on this road till you come to another fork in the road, stay left where you will immediately cross a small bridge and go up a small steep hill. Continue along this road till you come to the first right hand turn, take this turn. This road will bring you to a small car park where about 8 cars will fit. When you are approaching this car park the road is very steep and will be tarmac, when road changes to a fire road (gravel and earth) you will be close to the car park. At the car park there is a barrier stopping you from driving on. Red arrows on wooden stakes along the path mark the route to top. The yellow arrows take you on a loop. From the car park to the top is 7km. It will take about 1 and ¼ to run up and down and about 3hrs to walk up and down. You can also cycle up there but it is tougher than running or walking IMHO.

Some great views up there, worth the trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

baza1976 wrote: »
    Take the Newport exit from Finnegans roundabout. The Newport road is about 6 miles(ish) long before you come to Newport itself. When in Newport continue driving through till you come to the first crossroads and take a left. Do not turn left after the maxol petrol station; it is the next left you need to take. Continue on this road for about half a mile where you will come to a graveyard. At this graveyard take a right turn. Then take the next left. Continue on this road till you come to another fork in the road, stay left where you will immediately cross a small bridge and go up a small steep hill. Continue along this road till you come to the first right hand turn, take this turn. This road will bring you to a small car park where about 8 cars will fit. When you are approaching this car park the road is very steep and will be tarmac, when road changes to a fire road (gravel and earth) you will be close to the car park. At the car park there is a barrier stopping you from driving on. Red arrows on wooden stakes along the path mark the route to top. The yellow arrows take you on a loop. From the car park to the top is 7km. It will take about 1 and ¼ to run up and down and about 3hrs to walk up and down. You can also cycle up there but it is tougher than running or walking IMHO.

Some great views up there, worth the trek.

thanks a mill for that!they are brill directions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

I was up there a few times and u would want to be some bit fit to enjoy it,its a lovely walk and very peaceful with beautiful views,the loop took me an hour and 40 mins round trip,its is nice when u know where ur going and familiarise urself with the walk,first time i did it was with my dog she was about 4 months old that time and she slept that night.

Advertisement