Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4870 750M 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card...noise reduction

Options
  • 09-03-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Well to be honest I think my PSU(Corsair 750W HX Modular) is a bit on the noisey side as well. Any one have any experience reducing the noise levels of a graphics card or PSU with kits etc ?
    Noise wasnt an issue when I built it but now I want to start tweaking things again :cool:

Cheers,

stylie

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Dust? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

stylie wrote: »
    Hi,

Well to be honest I think my PSU(Corsair 750W HX Modular) is a bit on the noisey side as well. Any one have any experience reducing the noise levels of a graphics card or PSU with kits etc ?
    Noise wasnt an issue when I built it but now I want to start tweaking things again :cool:

Cheers,

stylie

I used the following:http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101

Fiddly to fit and bit of a pain, but it has reduced temps and the noise of the card (4870 512mb sapphire) greatly over the stock cooler and was well worth it to get the gfx card to STFU.

Power the cooler directly off the gfx card itself and not by the molex connector supplied with the card: had to use 3rd party software to get the fans spinning under XP (ATI drvier wouldn't do it properly) , ATI driver runs the fans properly under windows 7 though :confused:

Operation is very quiet @ 40% speed card is idle @ 50 degrees or so and ramps up to 60-70 degrees under load depending on heat of room etc... Usually ramp the speed up to 50% for LANs.

What case and case fans are you running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Bear in mind, that the VRM needs cooling too, not just the GPU and RAM. Even coolers specified for use on a 4870 may have trouble keeping VRM temps in check. FWIW, I'm using the Coolink Chilla on my 4870, with a Zalman VRM heatsink and it works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Solitaire wrote: »
    Dust? ;)

Sorry should have said that they are no louder than what they were out of the box...im just thinking of ways to make them a little more quiet.

thanks for the replies
    uberpixie wrote: »

What case and case fans are you running?

Im using the HAF 920 and just the stock case fans. CPU is watercooled is no noise there. I have the case fans controlled by a fan controller so its the GPU and the PSU make 80% of the noise

Advertisement