Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Phenom build

Options
  • 09-03-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Guys - any opinions on this build?

* 485798 AMD Phenom II X2 550 Dual Core, 3.1Ghz, AM3, 6MB, 80W, Boxed
    * 487825 ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO, Socket-AM3 AMD 785G+SB710, DDR3, Firewire, GbLAN, ATX, HDMI, DVI, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
    * 461645 Cooler Master HAF 922 Midi Tower Black Fans: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Top, 1x Rear 120mm fan, Red LEDs On/Off
    * 404885 Corsair CX 400W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6+2-pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 120mm Fan
    * 518148 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333MHz 1GB Non-ECC, 1.65V, 240pin, CL7-7-7-24
    * 518158 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333MHz 2GB Non-ECC, 1.65V, 240pin, CL7-7-7-24
    * 496258 Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM
    * 426718 Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0, "Ultimate Edition", DVI-I, HDMI, HDCP, Lite-Retail
    * 498976 Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7241S, DVDRW 24x, LightScribe, SATA, Bulk, Black

It's my first attempt at a build, so I'm not 100% sure that it will all hang together. Any suggestions are welcome!
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

what do you plan on doing with the pc? (photoshop/gaming/sound editing etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

what do you plan on doing with the pc? (photoshop/gaming/sound editing etc)

Some adobe premiere editing, and some after effects stuff. No gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi shnaek

Why are you only getting 3gb of ram

I have that CPU, Motherboard and 4gb of Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333mhz, Corsair VX 450W

runs great

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi shnaek

Why are you only getting 3gb of ram

I have that CPU, Motherboard and 4gb of Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333mhz, Corsair VX 450W

runs great

Nice one. How long have you had it? Did you unlock the other 2 cores?

I'm only getting 3g at the mo because I only have a 32bit version of windows 7.

shnaek wrote: »
    Nice one. How long have you had it? Did you unlock the other 2 cores?

I'm only getting 3g at the mo because I only have a 32bit version of windows 7.

Scotch that. Just looked at the pack and I have the 64bit version too. So I'll deffo upgrade the ram - maybe two sticks of

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600MHz 2GB

Do you reckon the Corsair CX 400W is good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi

This is what i got Komplett Shopping list.
    I dont know about your graphics card it might need more power.
    Yes the other 2 cores unlocked.

The Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333MHz is good RAM.

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi

This is what i got Komplett Shopping list.
    I dont know about your graphics card it might need more power.
    Yes the other 2 cores unlocked.

The Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333MHz is good RAM.

Is there much of a difference between the 1333mhz and the 1600mhz?
    Maybe I'll go for a better psu for future proofing.
    And looking at your shopping cart reminds me I must throw in the anti-static wrist band too. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Is there much of a difference between the 1333mhz and the 1600mhz?
    Maybe I'll go for a better psu for future proofing.
    And looking at your shopping cart reminds me I must throw in the anti-static wrist band too. Cheers.

Unless you're HEAVILY overclocking, you'll see no real difference between 1333 and 1600 as AMD keep the memory controller on the chip. Same with the newer Intel cores.

hare05 wrote: »
    Unless you're HEAVILY overclocking, you'll see no real difference between 1333 and 1600 as AMD keep the memory controller on the chip. Same with the newer Intel cores.

I was thinking that was the case. The price difference between the two is minimal - only a few euros. Which would I be better off going for?

Aslo -do you think a 400w PSU is good enough?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I was thinking that was the case. The price difference between the two is minimal - only a few euros. Which would I be better off going for?

Aslo -do you think a 400w PSU is good enough?

Cheers :)

400W is fine without a huge graphics card. As for the RAM, go with your gut on that one. The price difference is minuscule, but so is the performance boost you'll get. Can't really say more than that lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Got very similar spec myself just 2 months ago. Unlocked the other 2 cores too. This cpu overclocks easily... if there's a need for it. Have few pics on a thread here . Wish I'd gone with a 922! IIRC somebody here advised against those sony dvd drives, so got samsung one for more or less the same money. AS wrist band is cool, I only used disposable pvc gloves :(. Re PSU... it's up to you. cx400 / vx450 will do the job fine. If you do decide to overclock, then do go for an aftermarket cooler, something like this and maybe upgraded PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Wait 10 days to get the updated asus mobo and new chipset from Komplett - this is just the next generation of the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO board.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=585672#ProductTabs

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3762

I have that M4A785TD -v board in my wife's build - mainly used for playing Sims 2 (or is it sims 3 now)?? never had a problem with it, nice mobo.

hare05 wrote: »
    400W is fine without a huge graphics card. As for the RAM, go with your gut on that one. The price difference is minuscule, but so is the performance boost you'll get. Can't really say more than that lol.
    lol! Fair enough. In that case I may aswell go for the 1600 in case I decide to overclock in the future.
    Got very similar spec myself just 2 months ago. Unlocked the other 2 cores too. This cpu overclocks easily... if there's a need for it. Have few pics on a thread here . Wish I'd gone with a 922! IIRC somebody here advised against those sony dvd drives, so got samsung one for more or less the same money. AS wrist band is cool, I only used disposable pvc gloves :(. Re PSU... it's up to you. cx400 / vx450 will do the job fine. If you do decide to overclock, then do go for an aftermarket cooler, something like this and maybe upgraded PSU.
    Nice one. Was it easy to unlock the cores? I'll look into that samsung you mentioned. The pics look great too. Do you reckon this PSU would be better:
    AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI
    Or should I stick with the corsair?
    Cheers!
    zappb wrote: »
    Wait 10 days to get the updated asus mobo and new chipset from Komplett - this is just the next generation of the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO board.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=585672#ProductTabs

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3762

I have that M4A785TD -v board in my wife's build - mainly used for playing Sims 2 (or is it sims 3 now)?? never had a problem with it, nice mobo.
    Nice spot. For the sake of ten days I really should wait. I'll do a bit of research on that mobo in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Just enabled ACC and Unleasihing in bios... that's it, provided the cores are not defective. Do flash bios beforehand though. Good guide here.

Re psu: stay with corsair.

Just enabled ACC and Unleasihing in bios... that's it, provided the cores are not defective. Do flash bios beforehand though. Good guide here.

Re psu: stay with corsair.

Brilliant link - cheers. I was thinking the corsair would be best alright! I can't wait to get started on the build :pac:

Here is my latest build - do ye see any problems with it?

Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
    Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3
    Asus M4A89GTD PRO, AMD 890GX Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    Crucial 2GB DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Memory 1.65V CL8(8-8-8-24) Unbuffered Non-ECC
    Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

Should I replace the mobo with this one, perhaps:
    MSI 790FX-GD70, 790FX+SB750

The only reason I am asking is that some people say if you are editing video you should avoid mobos with on board graphics cards.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement