Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear an Easter Lily *Merger*

Options
  • 09-03-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is this the wrong forum

Easter is the most important time in the Irish Republican calendar; it's a time when we remember the sacrifice of the men and women of 1916 and every decade since.

It was Cumann na mBan who presented the Easter lily in 1925 and it was Constance Markievicz that popularised the wearing of the Easter lily in 1926.

The design was inspired by the traditional flower of Easter which adorns so many Churches and homes in remembrance of Christ's death and resurrection.

Often called the “white-robed apostles of hope” lilies were found growing in the Garden of Gethsemane after Christ’s agony. Tradition has it that beautiful white lilies sprung up where drops of Christ’s sweat fell to the ground in his final hours of sorrow and deep distress.

The lily is a symbol of hope, unity and love.It's also a symbol of the great resurrection and in our case the resurrection of the Irish nation and its desire to be free.

Since the 1930s, successive Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael governments attempted to suppress sales of the Easter lily

After the split the stickies got their nickname because of the new way in which they attached their Easter lily, the Republican Movement stayed with the traditional paper and pin.

Republicans continue to honour the heroic sacrifice made in 1916, when republican revolutionaries, outnumbered and ill-equipped, took on the might of the British Empire and asserted in arms Ireland’s right to freedom.

Irish republicans wear the Easter lily to honour all those who have given their lives in the cause of Irish freedom in 1916 and in every decade since.

Every Irish person, regardless of their party political allegiances, should show their pride in our founding fathers by wearing this little badge.

No matter what their party affiliations may be everyone can, and should wear an Easter lily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

..the problem is that whatever the original intentions and symbolism of the Easter Lilly, because of historical reasons, for the majority of people it has become associated with direct support for armed resistance to the existence of NI as part of the UK. As such a lot of people would be unwilling to wear it.

It's a bit like the Irish flag and unionists. Originally, in theory, a symbol of peace and unity between the orange and green traditions, but over time, more directly associated with people trying to kill them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

..the problem is that whatever the original intentions and symbolism of the Easter Lilly, because of historical reasons, for the majority of people it has become associated with direct support for armed resistance to the existence of NI as part of the UK. As such a lot of people would be unwilling to wear it.

It's a bit like the Irish flag and unionists. Originally, in theory, a symbol of peace and unity between the orange and green traditions, but over time, more directly associated with people trying to kill them..

Cheers for the smart reply instead of the usual 'bleh, terrorists wear it' response.

True enough, it has been taken on by a republican movement but it's no reason imo, that one cannot give respect for the people who gave their lives for our Freedom and Independance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Good post PomBear - seriously - but where does it leave someone of my political allegiance as a unionist who grew up on the wrong side of an artificial border? My only political allegiance, in the Republic, is to the woeful Green party - I have a real problem. :)

Good post PomBear - seriously - but where does it leave someone of my political allegiance as a unionist who grew up on the wrong side of an artificial border? My only political allegiance, in the Republic, is to the woeful Green party - I have a real problem. :)

Well to a unionist, it should be respected that an independance and freedom was gained from a suppression of our country. We give a small time of the year to respect those who gave their lives to do this. We would ask them to respect this and that is all we can do, after all, the fight was against the british forces and not against unionists as they're as much a citizen as you or me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Where do the funds from the easter lily go to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ronano wrote: »

If you have a problem with the "Funds" you can wear a real lilly.

I wear and easter lilly every year. My father did and my grandfather did. My mother always buys a real lilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BearsyBoo

Ive often found it hard to find somehwere to buy one!

wardy32 wrote: »
    Ive often found it hard to find somehwere to buy one!

I'm guessing you're from ROI, if you are, you can buy a real one from your local florist or local sinn féin office, by the way before it's asked, sf give the proceeds to the Easter commemoration

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I wear mine every year with pride, you can get a nice little enamel one online for about 5 yoyo's

21/25

ronano wrote: »

As I said in previous posts, all political partys that sell it donate to your local Easter commeration and I think some goes to the National Graves association

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Im thinking of wearing the Easter Lilly this year although I have never done it before. I think it is a good way to commemorate not only the men of 1916 but all of Irelands war dead. Do you think its right to wear the Easter Lilly to commemorate Irelands war dead or should it just be used to commemorate the men of 1916?

The Easter Lily is a badge worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising. Depending on the political affiliations of the bearer, it can also commemorate members of the pre-Treaty Irish Republican Army, the post-Treaty Irish Republican Army, and either the Provisional IRA or the Official IRA.

The Provo;s used a pin and the officials used a sticker. Thats why they because know as "The stickies"

fyi. I wear one. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Lily_(badge)

So if your from Ireland (26 counties) where do you get your Easter Lilly? I know some people would wear an Easter Lilly but prefer not to buy it from Sinn Fein.

my mother wears a real lilly. I buy it from sinn fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i bought a metal one about 10 years ago and i always wear that one , i have no problem wearing it and never had any problems while wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Wear one myself. Would buy it from Sinn Fein or indeed Eirigi if they were selling them. Wouldn't really care but would never buy anything from the stickies ( Workers Party ). I rememeber reading in the paper how the guards tried to arrest a Sinn Fein member who was selling them as he did not have a permit to sell them ( an organisation needs an offical permit to sell tickets, badges, whatever ). When told by a guard he did not have a permit the Provo replied " I have a permit since 1916 " :)

( appearently the SFers would ask for a permit but the guards would refuse to issue one and so when SF went ahead to sell them the guards would then arrest and fine them )

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Wear one myself. Would buy it from Sinn Fein or indeed Eirigi if they were selling them. Wouldn't really care but would never buy anything from the stickies ( Workers Party ). I rememeber reading in the paper how the guards tried to arrest a Sinn Fein member who was selling them as he did not have a permit to sell them ( an organisation needs an offical permit to sell tickets, badges, whatever ). When told by a guard he did not have a permit the Provo replied " I have a permit since 1916 " :)

( appearently the SFers would ask for a permit but the guards would refuse to issue one and so when SF went ahead to sell them the guards would then arrest and fine them )

Dont need a permit if you give them away for a donation..;)

also only keep in your box what you can loose.;) Sounds like good advice in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When told by a guard he did not have a permit the Provo replied " I have a permit since 1916 "
    Full marks for that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I respect those who do wear a lily at Easter, but for me it's a no no.

Smacks of supporting the IRA. Sorry, I never will for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Read this

Sorry. Just because I am Irish doesn't mean I should feel obliged to wear the Easter Lilly.

I don't support murdering gits no matter how old they are.

• Advertisement

Get over it. There has been another world war since 1916, and a few other things have happened besides. Think about the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Damo123

Read this wrote: »
    Get over it. There has been another world war since 1916, and a few other things have happened besides. Think about the future.

You know what they say.. those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Besides that wasnt our 'world war'... we werent a part off it.... So why forget about our own war in favour of someone elses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

PomBear wrote: »
    After the split the stickies got their nickname because of the new way in which they attached their Easter lily, the Republican Movement stayed with the traditional paper and pin.

And became, for a while, "The Pinnies".

Let's resuscitate that nickname, why don't we? :)

Damo123 wrote: »
    You know what they say.. those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Besides that wasnt our 'world war'... we werent a part off it.... So why forget about our own war in favour of someone elses?

There were still more Irishmen who fought in the First World War for their own country than there were Irishmen who took part in the 1916 Rebellion; so which war are you talking about? and why would the motives of one Irishman be any more noble than the next?

If you were more cynical like me, you would realise that its all about indoctrination and self-interest. When are ginger haired people going to have self-determination?

Yes, it appears we never learn from history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

And some people who never learn history...

MarchDub wrote: »
    And some people who never learn history...

And I suppose you have the monopoly on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do we have to got through this rigmaroll every time? :rolleyes:

It's very simple:
    • Wear a lily if you want.
    • Don't wear a lily if you don't want to.
    Keep you petty squabbles to yourself, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sorry. Just because I am Irish doesn't mean I should feel obliged to wear the Easter Lilly.

I don't support murdering gits no matter how old they are.

If you dont bother to read the posts, dont bother commenting.

21/25

There were still more Irishmen who fought in the First World War for their own country than there were Irishmen who took part in the 1916 Rebellion; so which war are you talking about? and why would the motives of one Irishman be any more noble than the next?

If you were more cynical like me, you would realise that its all about indoctrination and self-interest. When are ginger haired people going to have self-determination?

Ya but which war achieved more? Irish men who were slaughtered in there thousands in europe or the Fiftheen hundred Irish men in dublin who changed the course of Irish history in just a week.

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    Ya but which war achieved more? Irish men who were slaughtered in there thousands in europe or the Fiftheen hundred Irish men in dublin who changed the course of Irish history in just a week.

WW1 changed the world order (not saying for the better). The Easter Rising failed. Revolution came through the 1918 elections by "popular" vote. I place the words in brackets because less than 50% of the adult population voted, and less than 50% of those voted for Sinn Fein.

Freedom can never come through the bomb or the bullet - because the people who use it continue to think that it is a legitimate tool AFTER they achieve power. You can check out any African or Asian "freedom fighter" leader to see what I mean.

Advertisement