Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear an Easter Lily *Merger*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Read this wrote: »
    WW1 changed the world order (not saying for the better). The Easter Rising failed. Revolution came through the 1918 elections by "popular" vote. I place the words in brackets because less than 50% of the adult population voted, and less than 50% of those voted for Sinn Fein.

Freedom can never come through the bomb or the bullet - because the people who use it continue to think that it is a legitimate tool AFTER they achieve power. You can check out any African or Asian "freedom fighter" leader to see what I mean.
    The rising worked.

Blood Sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

Are the liy badges sold in alot of places?
    I can't think of anywhere to get one! I'm not near any Sinn Fein offices and probably would't buy one from them any way. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jack Charlton made the Tricolour respectable again.

Sad to say but IMHO it's true.

Yes it would be nice to wear a white lilly but my feelings towards SF are best interpreted by the words 'proxy bomb'

When the Old IRA are recognised as being distinct to to the cyber squatters then it will be easier for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Read this

uch wrote: »
    If you dont bother to read the posts, dont bother commenting.

What? am I off topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Long time ago - when I was in my late teens, I was privileged to work alongside a number of the Old IRA generation who had fought for Irish independence. They were a great generation, [men and women] who were proud of their achievements with a great sense of decency, goodwill and national pride.

Joyce criticised the Irish for our lack of national self appreciation [especially the way the Irish turned quickly on Parnell] "Ireland is an old sow who eats her young" Joyce lamented. I am proud to wear an Easter Lily for that old generation, long gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh yes, we do love our symbolism in this country as it seems to act as some get-out-of-jail card for actually studying our history.

1922 and 1948 were far more significant years in the shaping of this country's history and it's subsequent independence, yet we still cling onto the twin mythologies of blood-sacrifice and noble-failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Oh yes, we do love our symbolism in this country as it seems to act as some get-out-of-jail card for actually studying our history.

1922 and 1948 were far more significant years in the shaping of this country's history and it's subsequent independence, yet we still cling onto the twin mythologies of blood-sacrifice and noble-failure.

But you see 1922 and 1948 would not have happened without the prior events. Those years grew out of what had gone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I would like to show my support for the dead, but a wearing a Lilly looks like you support Sinn Fein / IRA.

So a big NO from me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd compromise by wearing an emblem supporting the Organisation of National Ex-Servicemen and Women, who I seem to remember sold such during charity drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've a metal lilly. Always wear it.

• Advertisement

To wear a lilly is to label yourself sinn fein / IRA

No Thanks I want Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Winty wrote: »
    To wear a lilly is to label yourself sinn fein / IRA
    No it is not. I'm a FG supporter and i shall wear the lilly in rememberence of those who died so we could live in a sovereign independent state. Its nothing to do with Sinn Féin in my eyes. The men who were killed or executed were mostly IRB or Volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mergerific.

grenache wrote: »
    No it is not. I'm a FG supporter and i shall wear the lilly in rememberence of those who died so we could live in a sovereign independent state. Its nothing to do with Sinn Féin in my eyes. The men who were killed or executed were mostly IRB or Volunteers.

You understand history so you know the truth behind the Lilly, the average punter in the pub thinks IRA and money to the "boys" so for that reason NO.
    Its the same as the british poppy, thousands of brave Irish died for freedom in WW1 and WW11 but Irish people as a large dont wear a red poppy as its linked to the British Army

We cant even remember the dead

At some point you have to stop worrying about what others think. To effect change you have to face up to the preconceptions and bias of others, and break that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Unfortunately, the same people (not all of them!!) who wear a easter lily would oppose the wearing of the Poppy. The association with Sinn Fein/Republicanism is probably the biggest hurdle to face in the promotion of Easter Commemorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Read this wrote: »
    WW1 changed the world order (not saying for the better). The Easter Rising failed. Revolution came through the 1918 elections by "popular" vote. I place the words in brackets because less than 50% of the adult population voted, and less than 50% of those voted for Sinn Fein.
    Only a born again unionist could try and say that when a political party that won 73 seats to 22 unionists and 6 for the Redmondites is not a legitmate vote :rolleyes: Most of Sinn Fein's vote in the west and south was in uncontetsted constituency's because the Remondites knew they were on to a hammering and so didn't contest the constituency. Hence the actual numbers who did vote for SF was less than would have voted in contested consituency's where Sinn Fein would have routed the IPP.

Sinn Fein won a landslide victory despite widespread intimadation and thuggery from the British of course. They invented the so called " German plot " ( saying SF were conspiring to help the Germans invade Ireland ) in order to impose mass intenment against the nationalists. Quiet a lot of SF's candidates were imprisioned during the election, not to mention arrests, threats and harrassment of SF supporters by the RIC and Brit army etc
    Freedom can never come through the bomb or the bullet - because the people who use it continue to think that it is a legitimate tool AFTER they achieve power. You can check out any African or Asian "freedom fighter" leader to see what I mean.
    Servile, sheepish gombeenism as usual :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Lauder wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the same people (not all of them!!) who wear a easter lily would oppose the wearing of the Poppy. The association with Sinn Fein/Republicanism is probably the biggest hurdle to face in the promotion of Easter Commemorations.

what you say is true. i will be wearing a lilly in rememberance of those who gave their lives for this country at the start of the revolution in 1916. i would not wear a poppy myself but am not against those who wear them , if there was a symbol to remember those Irish who fought in WW1 i would wear one of those .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Lauder wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the same people (not all of them!!) who wear a easter lily would oppose the wearing of the Poppy.

And why, pray tell, should somebody who is commemorating Irish freedom commemorate those who fought for the very same Empire which has for centuries fought against Irish freedom and the freedom of the Irish people to enjoy things like their own land, language and legal system?

It would be totally irrational regardless of all the superficial "right-on" comments we have had as a result of the Peace Process.

If I were to commemorate a public figure or event, it would be a person or an event that I agreed with. Simple as. It is bizarre to expect any ethical Irishman to commemorate those who partook in the barbarism of British imperialism.

the average punter in the pub thinks IRA and money to the "boys"

And your source for this amazing comment is what, precisely?

• Advertisement

Rebelheart wrote: »
    And your source for this amazing comment is what, precisely?

My local Pub in Co. ******, every easter the local Sinn Fein hard men cajole money from drunks to support in their words "the boys" they even have a march to the local republician grave and raise money on the streets.

I dislike Sinn Fein for their murderess past but also as they want to ban blood sports, funny how killers of women and children now want to save foxs

http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln090304.htm

This forum is about the Easter Lily, Its very important to remember the many who gave so much for the republic we now enjoy. I just want to remember them by not being a shinner.

I am proud of the old IRA / IRB / United Irishmen not the men who slaughtered innocent civilians in Enniskillen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

paky wrote: »
    Im thinking of wearing the Easter Lilly this year although I have never done it before. I think it is a good way to commemorate not only the men of 1916 but all of Irelands war dead. Do you think its right to wear the Easter Lilly to commemorate Irelands war dead or should it just be used to commemorate the men of 1916?

This really is like a parelell version of the poppy threads! (1916 & all that), and No I wouldn't wear an Easter Lilly, Why? because of the very strong Sinn Fein/IRA associations with the wearing of ...........

Camelot wrote: »
    This really is like a parelell version of the poppy threads! (1916 & all that), and No I wouldn't wear an Easter Lilly, Why? because of the very strong Sinn Fein/IRA associations with the wearing of ...........

But you'd wear the British poppy with its direct, official and indisputable purpose to commemorate all those who fought and died for British imperialism, including the Black and Tans, the Auxiliaries, the Parachute Regiment, the B Specials and all the rest of them. (leaving aside the people who ran the British concentration camps of South Africa and interned over 1,000,000 people in "enclosed villages" in Kenya)

You're clearly doing well on this, your latest attempt to claim moral superiority over the Irish on the issue of using violence to achieve a political aim. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But you'd wear the British poppy with its direct, official and indisputable purpose to commemorate all those who fought and died for British imperialism, including the Black and Tans, the Auxiliaries, the Parachute Regiment, the B Specials and all the rest of them. (leaving aside the people who ran the British concentration camps of South Africa and interned over 1,000,000 people in "enclosed villages" in Kenya)

You're clearly doing well on this, your latest attempt to claim moral superiority over the Irish on the issue of using violence to achieve a political aim. Well done.

I said what I said in Post#53 & that's all :rolleyes:

But you'd wear the British poppy .

In what thread did Camelot write he would wear a poppy, I am missing something or is this another republician twist of the truth

But you'd wear the British poppy...

Look dude there's already a poppy thread and a British empire thread. If you want to moan about either of those topics go ahead and find those threads and post in it. But I don't want to see every thread in this forum descend into a Brit bashing cluster**** like it has before. You've aired your position on the poppy v. lily, now please just leave it alone. Mod.

In what thread did Camelot write he would wear a poppy, I am missing something or is this another republician twist of the truth

Well, in this, and [url= Ihttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62717351&postcount=6]this[/url] with such gems as:
    'I wear my Poppy with pride on the streets of Dublin at this time every year, & I just think it’s a sad reflection on Irish society that so few mark the week, bearing in mind that so many of the Great War & WWII descendents must be walking our City streets today!'

and:
    ' I will be wearing my Poppy this year, as I do every year around this time.'

There are many more similar views of his on this issue to be found on those threads, and others.

So much for your own prejudice about a "republican twist of the truth".

Look dude there's already a poppy thread and a British empire thread. If you want to moan about either of those topics go ahead and find those threads and post in it. But I don't want to see every thread in this forum descend into a Brit bashing cluster**** like it has before. You've aired your position on the poppy v. lily, now please just leave it alone. Mod.

Look, "dude", poster Camelot, a legend at "Irish bashing" on Boards.ie, brought this poppy topic up on this thread. Only then did I respond, pointing out his own hypocrisy. Now, I have referenced it. Oddly, you didn't condemn him for bringing up the poppy issue in the first place, just the reaction from this "dude" here.

My local Pub in Co. ******, every easter the local Sinn Fein hard men cajole money from drunks to support in their words "the boys" they even have a march to the local republician grave and raise money on the streets.[/url]

Ah, the inductive method of reasoning. If it happens in your local pub, it happens everywhere. Nice to see rationality and basic verification of facts is alive and well before you post.

• Advertisement

Rebelheart infracted for breach of peace/charter. Mod.

Advertisement