Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wear an Easter Lily *Merger*

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Well, in this, and [url= Ihttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62717351&postcount=6]this[/url] with such gems as:
    'I wear my Poppy with pride on the streets of Dublin at this time every year, & I just think it’s a sad reflection on Irish society that so few mark the week, bearing in mind that so many of the Great War & WWII descendents must be walking our City streets today!'

and:
    ' I will be wearing my Poppy this year, as I do every year around this time.'

There are many more similar views of his on this issue to be found on those threads, and others.

So much for your own prejudice about a "republican twist of the truth".

Dear oh dear, now you are taking quotes from completly different threads from years ago! What next :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Next person to post off topic is banned for 3 days. Mod.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Winty wrote:
    the average punter in the pub thinks IRA and money to the "boys"
    And your source for this amazing comment is what, precisely?
    Tonight in a pub some lads came around selling the paper lillies.

one was wearing a small SF badge

There is no way I'll ever buy a lilly unless I am sure that none of the money will ever go to SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Winty wrote: »
    My local Pub in Co. ******, every easter the local Sinn Fein hard men cajole money from drunks to support in their words "the boys" they even have a march to the local republician grave and raise money on the streets.
    I bought my Easter Lily in the Padraig Pearse in Dublin. Seen a bloke wearing one ( also had a Fainne pin ), asked him did he have another Lily, which he had a few in his wallet, gave him a euro, no probs and no " cajoling " invovled :rolleyes: I have bought Lillies from blokes outside the GPO, in betting shops, pubs, going to a match etc never seen any " cajoling " invovled nor never heard of it on any side of the border to my friends or family etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Tonight in a pub some lads came around selling the paper lillies.

one was wearing a small SF badge

There is no way I'll ever buy a lilly unless I am sure that none of the money will ever go to SF

Anytime I've seen the Easter Lily for sale the money was going to fund the National Graves Association and thus the maintenance and erection of monuments to all those who died for Irish freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anytime I've seen the Easter Lily for sale the money was going to fund the National Graves Association and thus the maintenance and erection of monuments to all those who died for Irish freedom.
    If it walks like a duck...

NGA people and SF people overlap - how many people from FF or FG are in NGA ?

and should the OPW not be looking after the graves of people from 1916 and before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If it walks like a duck...

NGA people and SF people overlap - how many people from FF or FG are in NGA ?

and should the OPW not be looking after the graves of people from 1916 and before ?

Your statement is untrue... Is there a reason for this attitude.

Have you a way perhaps to back it up...

http://nga.ie/

have you possibly something that we all have not seen on this sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Anytime I've seen the Ea
    ster Lily for sale the money was going to fund the National Graves Association and thus the maintenance and erection of monuments to all those who died for Irish freedom.

As you can see men who pressure punters in pubs cant be trusted, Its the same bully boy tactics around Easter with Lilys or Graves

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/Anger-at-39bar-collections39-by.6198094.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You seem to have missed the point that the regular republican organizations condemned these people.

Your statement is untrue... Is there a reason for this attitude.

Have you a way perhaps to back it up...

http://nga.ie/

have you possibly something that we all have not seen on this sight.

http://nga.ie/history.htmThe Association has never deviated from its guiding principle "Only a 32 County Irish Republic represents the true aspiration of those who gave their lives for Irish freedom".

no doubt some apologist will post this bit
    The National Graves Association is an autonomous body, with no affiliation to any political party, organisation or group.

but stuff like http://nga.ie/flag_of_england.htm and
    http://nga.ie/news1.htm#For_attention_of_letter_page_editor

There is also this site
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/39672
    Liam Shannon, the Chairman of the National Graves Association, spoke about the importance of Easter to Irish republicans and the preparations for this year’s parade.
    “The Belfast Easter parade has a massive history,’’ said the veteran republican.
    “On Easter Sunday 1942, Volunteer Tom Williams and other Volunteers of the Belfast Brigade of Óglaigh na hÉireann, including the late Joe Cahill, set out to create a diversion so that the parade would be able to proceed up the Falls Road unimpeded by the RUC.
    “Their action that day ended with the death of an RUC member and Tom Williams was subsequently hanged in Crumlin Road Gaol after being convicted of causing the RUC member’s death.

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/39268
    THE FELONS’ CLUB in west Belfast is legendary not just in Ireland but beyond these shores and tribute was paid to the committee and members for the “sound work” they have carried out over the years in support of former political prisoners and the republican struggle by Sinn Féin MLA Alex Maskey when he opened the newly-refurbished lounge last Friday.
    The lounge, which gives the club a new modern look, is testament to the commitment of Liam Shannon and the committee and the support of the ex-POW fraternity over the years.

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/26396

• Advertisement

http://nga.ie/news1.htm - look up the names of the NGA members

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2009/07/15/story96349.asp
    From a Provo point of view, there is no question: “England’s difficulty was Ireland’s opportunity”, as Matt Doyle of the NGA puts it.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/02/10/story812126728.asp
    His introduction was at a ballads-and-beer affair, organised by the RSF support group in Chicago called the Irish Freedom Committee (IFC). "There was no big recommendation from the man he was with, but it seemed to put Rupert in the right context," according to Chris Fogarty, former vice president of the IFC.

"He seemed to be concerned about the occupied Irish; we only found out later that he became an instrument of the FBI," Fogarty said last week.

Fogarty had a previous run-in with Rupert's American handler, Ed Buckley. In 1992 Buckley arrested him for allegedly threatening FBI informant John Tuttle.

Loretta Clarke is the sister of SF councillor Jackie Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very interesting discussion re the 1916 Rising here . . . http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2010/pc/pod-v-060410-23m19s-todaywithpatkenny.mp3

Taken from 'This morning' with Pat Kenny Tuesday 6th/April 2010, packed full with lots of facts, figures & chat about the 1916 Rising.

I don't know why you bothered searching for those links, doesn't show anything about overlapping memebership of SF and the NGA. But I suppose it's a variant of the McCarthyite reds under the beds scare stories, or in this case, SFers under the beds stories of which the great Senator Eoghan Harris was the main propagandaist of :rolleyes: It's such a pity to see the wearing of the Easter Lilly and a good organisation like the NGA under attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Read this

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    P.

They invented the so called " German plot " ( saying SF were conspiring to help the Germans invade Ireland ) in order to impose mass intenment against the nationalists.

Err - Roger Casement was caught red handed.

Don't assume I am a unionist just because I disagree with you.

But you'd wear the British poppy with its direct, official and indisputable purpose to commemorate all those who fought and died for British imperialism, including the Black and Tans, the Auxiliaries, the Parachute Regiment, the B Specials and all the rest of them. (leaving aside the people who ran the British concentration camps of South Africa and interned over 1,000,000 people in "enclosed villages" in Kenya)

You're clearly doing well on this, your latest attempt to claim moral superiority over the Irish on the issue of using violence to achieve a political aim. Well done.

Mod - Please allow me a teensy weensy off topic reply to above: - many of those who fought in the British Army's imperial campaigns were Irish volunteers (with a small 'v' of course).

Easter Lilly's - yes, well - what colour are lilly's anyway?

Read this wrote: »
    Err - Roger Casement was caught red handed.

Don't assume I am a unionist just because I disagree with you.
    Ok your not a unionist, your just trying to make a point. Roger Casement was captured in April 1916. The " German Plot " fairytale invented by the British as an excuse to try and intimadate Irish nationalism and discredit it in America was in May 1918. There was no weapons or anything else found, it was a pure British invention.

Mod - Please allow me a teensy weensy off topic reply to above: - many of those who fought in the British Army's imperial campaigns were Irish volunteers (with a small 'v' of course).

Easter Lilly's - yes, well - what colour are lilly's anyway?
    Most of them were economic conscripts, while a few young naive ones where pure adventurists. But apart from our unionist friends, very few out of a sense of duty to King/Queen and country.

'Economic conscript' - now there's a new term.

They were'nt all runts - and the've left their mark all over the former British Empire.

Anyway, once they put on the uniform, they had equal status with their Scottish and English counterparts and there was plenty of loyalty shown. The Irish won lots of VC's for valour in action.

My point in entering into this debate is not to support the side of unionism, but to remind some people here that republicans are like communists - they want everyone to think and act the same way, and have loyalty only to the Party/Cause.

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Ok your not a unionist, your just trying to make a point. Roger Casement was captured in April 1916. The " German Plot " fairytale invented by the British as an excuse to try and intimadate Irish nationalism and discredit it in America was in May 1918. There was no weapons or anything else found, it was a pure British invention.

The War lasted from 1914 - until November 1918. I would assume that Dublin Castle didn't say OK lets go home boys, Roger Casement has been caught. They had slightly more evidence of a plot than George did with WMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

The War lasted from 1914 - until November 1918. I would assume that Dublin Castle didn't say OK lets go home boys, Roger Casement has been caught. They had slightly more evidence of a plot than George did with WMD.

That's not saying much in fairness...The German Plot was an invention by the British in an attempt to discredit SF.I concur with SlabMurphy.

• Advertisement

I'll take a peep when I am in Kew Gardens next week. It's never so simple.

As luck would have it, I was able to find the relevant Intelligence Reports online via the UK National Archives.

I have in my possession the Military and RIC reports for September 1918*. According to these sources, Sinn Fein had a membership of 110,000 whilst the allied ITGWU had a membership of 26,000 (cross membership very likely). They reported lots of demonstrations against conscription, and mentioned the fact that most of the SF leadership were interned. The reports seem to hold SF responsible for all subversive activity, and make no distinction between them and the IRB.

The Reports attribute the War with Germany as the chief reason for the turn of fortunes for SF - as the latter had been boasting of German support. To the ears of High Command - this alone was seditious enough to justify internment - and you can see how they progressed to genuinely supposing that their WAS a German plot (and the arrest of Casement in 1916 IS relevant to explaining their mentality at the time).

* Signed by General French and Inspector General Byrne respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

'Economic conscript' - now there's a new term.

They were'nt all runts - and the've left their mark all over the former British Empire.

Anyway, once they put on the uniform, they had equal status with their Scottish and English counterparts and there was plenty of loyalty shown. The Irish won lots of VC's for valour in action.

My point in entering into this debate is not to support the side of unionism, but to remind some people here that republicans are like communists - they want everyone to think and act the same way, and have loyalty only to the Party/Cause.

Economic conscript is an old term and was frequently used during WWI in the manner SM used it. Your statement about republicanism is ridiculous btw.

Well why was it so important to discredit him as a homosexual and massively broaden the scope of the treason act in order to pass sentence? There was very little evidence available at the time as to whether Casement had acted in a treasonous manner. Moreover, while it is clear that German assistance was sought for the Rising in terms of weapons and ammunition it has never been shown to the best of my knowledge that a German invasion was planned, which appears to be what you're suggesting.

Advertisement