Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Restaurant Closed in Cork

Options
  • 09-03-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

There was mention of a chinese restaurant in Cork being closed due to health violations, i didnt catch the name. Does anyone know who it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

http://www.corkman.ie/breaking-news/national-news/hotel-rapped-on-food-safety-fears-2092110.html
    A Chinese restaurant and a hotel were rapped last month over food safety fears, it has been revealed.
    Closure orders were served on the Loughbawn Hotel in Killeshandra, Co Cavan and the Golden Beijing Restaurant, in Ballincurra, Co Cork.
    The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said management at the Loughbawn were told to shut down a partially covered-in alleyway running from the kitchen to the street amid fears it was a public health risk.
    In a separate order, food business Cavan Wholesale, on the Dublin Road, Cavan was told to improve its operations or face further action.
    Prof Alan Reilly, FSAI chief executive, urged food businesses to continuously review safety policies.
    "The FSAI provides an advice line where our team of experts can help a food business with any queries they may have regarding food safety practices," he said.
    "It is of the utmost importance that food businesses are educated on the fundamentals of food safety skills in preventing bacterial food contamination."
    Two prosecutions were also successfully carried out by health chiefs over food safety issues in Mr Dees Chinese Restaurant in Glanmire, Cork and Militti Take Away, on Fassaugh Avenue, Cabra, north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

i was just walking past Starvast on Princes St, just off Oliver Plunket St.
    The place is all packed up with a truck on south mall and loads of wooden boxes there. either they are closing up or getting new furniture. ive never seen the place busy so im guessing they are out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

stevexo wrote: »
    The place is all packed up with a truck on south mall and loads of wooden boxes there. either they are closing up or getting new furniture. ive never seen the place busy so im guessing they are out of there!

Crumbs. That's a nice spot. Got a takeaway from there only last week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

stevexo wrote: »

They've gone out of business. It's devastating. I've only just discovered the place! Best Chinese in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

slightly o/t but the best chinese in cork is in Fermoy. im not a huge fan of chinese food but the place is absolute class, never had bad food there and good surroundings too ..

I'm afraid you are all wrong, the best Chinese in Cork is Panda Mama beside the bus station! :D

I speak from experience as someone who eats a lot reasonable amount of Chinese :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

kingtut wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are all wrong, the best Chinese in Cork is Panda Mama beside the bus station! :D

I speak from experience as someone who eats a lot reasonable amount of Chinese :o

did you ever go to china dragon in Fermoy? well worth a visit.. I only have chinese every few months (when i get out voted:rolleyes:) but that place is great, and so is maggie the waitress:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭corkviewer

How can Panda Mama afford to do so much radio advertising? The owner must have deep pockets.

Anyway in my experience the best chinese in Cork is Tastee in Ballincollig - no msg and gluten free menu - gets the thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

The only Chinese you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

No mention of the Ambassador?? I've always enjoyed it the few times I've been there.

Bumble32 wrote: »
    The only Chinese you need to know.

I had a flick through their take away menu, and there doesn't seem to be any duck dishes. I really like duck with plum sauce.

Faith wrote: »
    I had a flick through their take away menu, and there doesn't seem to be any duck dishes. I really like duck with plum sauce.

I am not a fan of duck so can't say I have looked at it on the menu however most places always say if you would like something that is not on the menu just ask... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Faith wrote: »

Never got a takeaway from there but I ate in there late week and they have duck on the menu

I think the best chinese in tung sing in Blarney, I eat alot of chinese food in restaurants all over cork and ive never had a bad meal there, panda mana comes a close second

the worst has to be the place (forget the name) upstairs on patrick st on the same side just up from burger king

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

corkviewer wrote: »
    How can Panda Mama afford to do so much radio advertising? The owner must have deep pockets.

Anyway in my experience the best chinese in Cork is Tastee in Ballincollig - no msg and gluten free menu - gets the thumbs up from me!

Agreed, it serves really good food! And you don't feed stodgy afterwards!
    Love Panda Mama too! Oh and Thai Thanie in the Collig for Thai food! Delish!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for tips on Panda Mama.
    Last Chinese meal at Qiu Qiu(?) - near Porters on Patrick St. Quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

severely off topic, (but in that general area of the world regarding cuisine) Thai Lanna in Fermoy is delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I was a Starvast regular - at least once a week we'd go there for lunch and we're gutted the place is closed down. The staff were brilliant and I wish we'd been able to thank them for their kind service to us over the past feww years. It seems everytime we find a good lunch time haunt - it closes down. Another favourite was the Gourmet Grill, then that was gone overnight too. We're afraid if we get too comfortable at another lunch time venue we'll curse that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnymusic

I am new to the boards but have to agree with kingtut Panda Mamas is deft the best chinese I have eaten in in cork city with the Luyan Briar Rose in Douglas a second...

There is a new Chinese opening above the Hawthorn Bar by The Lough in a week or so, the Hawthorn closed their own restaurant before Christmas. I hope the new one is nice, local alternative to Jumbo can't be bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnymusic

yes this new chinese at the hawtorne is run by the people who also run the Luyan Briar Rose in Douglas and the Man Fu House Takeaway in Ballinlough which outside of Panda Mamas take away is the finest Chinese takeaway in Cork. I should know I love Chinese you know..

Heard that allright, happy out, although the Hawthorn is dangerously close to home for me, only a few hundred feet, I may well be a fat bastad in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Judes wrote: »
    I was a Starvast regular - at least once a week we'd go there for lunch and we're gutted the place is closed down.

Same here, was passing the other day and it looks like there's another Chinese going in there!

Man Fu House Takeaway in Ballinlough which outside of Panda Mamas take away is the finest Chinese takeaway in Cork. I should know I love Chinese you know..

I hate Man Fu house and it is only up the road from me! My housemate raves about it but I hate it. I have always found the food to be really greasy and their menu is very limited. Places looks like more of a chipper than a Chinese to me...plus they don't even do soup!! What kind of Chines does not do soup?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

yes this new chinese at the hawtorne is run by the people who also run the Luyan Briar Rose in Douglas and the Man Fu House Takeaway in Ballinlough which outside of Panda Mamas take away is the finest Chinese takeaway in Cork. I should know I love Chinese you know..

Wait, Man Fu House is owned by the same people as the Luyan Briar Rose? Really?

And I love Man Fu House, I really do, but I don't think it could be called one of the best Chineses in Cork! It's chock full of MSG (which is why I love it)!

Actually, does anyone know if Cantonese duck is similar to/the same as duck in plum sauce? Or is aromatic duck close to it? Duck with plum sauce cost €8.80 in Star Vast, and I can't find anywhere with a similar price. Panda Mama has Cantonese Roast Duck for €11.50, which is expensive but may be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bianc

The Hawthorn Chinese is not owned by Man Fu House Takeaway or Luyan Briar Rose.

True, I heard that since it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Anyone know what Mr Dees were found guilty of?
    Found a small bit in the examiner but not too detailed:
    The case was heard in the district court on February 17 and related to an offence under the EC (Hygiene of Foodstuffs) Regulations 2006 – protecting food against contamination and maintaining adequate hygiene on the premises – on November 12 last.

Those behind Mr Dees, a popular restaurant in and around Glanmire, pleaded guilty and were fined €800 plus costs of €1500.

From here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfkfeyauqlcw/rss2/#ixzz0rd74DQsJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Chinese food in Cork is sh*t especially for the price. Used to get take aways from The Great Wall in Ballincollig but that's gone downhill in the last year or so. Willow does an alright job. Blue Ginger used to be quite nice to sit down to but the takeaway was often lousy.

I miss London for food :(

Advertisement