Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing (Fire) Trucks?

• 09-03-2010 6:56pm

Hey all,

In my quest to learn about photography but also always try and have something interesting to photograph, I contacted my local Fire Station with a request to photograph their vehicles.

Below is a copy/paste of a post I just made in another thread:

I got an email from the Fire station saying they'd be happy to let me photograph their vehicles (or appliances, as they call them).

Asked me to get in touch with the Duty Manager and arrange a suitable time. I went up today, about an hour ago, and called in.

Guys are very nice, though I hadn't got a clue what I was going to say to them, so I was all over the place. I mentioned about photographing the stuff and they were going to start moving stuff around straight away for me. I, of course, wasn't planning to photograph them there and then, but I arranged to call back up to them next Saturday.

Thing is; The guy was saying that they'd be better off taking the trucks out in front of the station to be photographed, which is good and bad at the same time.

Good because I'm practically guaranteed decent shots of the trucks and won't have to fight against poor lighting. Bad because I now feel like I'm going to be wasting their time and causing them unnecessary hassle. Hopefully I won't be.

The guys up there are ridiculously nice though. Fair play to them.

Anyone got any tips for photographing a series of Fire Trucks?

So.. as the last line says, does anyone have any hints or tips on photographing lorries? I plan to be on my knees a lot in front of them (To make them look bigger and more intimidating, hopefully) but aside from a bunch of photos from each side of the trucks and looking up at them, I'm a little stumped as to what I can do to be in any way semi-original here.

Anyone got any thoughts at all?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Personally I'd find the people more interesting. Try and include some maybe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Detail shots of bumpers, control panels, sirens, ect.
    If you are willing to ask, try and get them to put up a ladder on a ladder tuck (if they have one) and let you go up or even try to get shots from a floor or two up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The usually train at lease once a week, it might be better go down then and see the guys in action, don't forget a wide angle lense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Apart from the usual shots, try getting different unique angles ... try some nice bokeh aswell ..

Don't really think I'll be able to catch them training or anything (it'll be a Saturday), and I'd rather avoid asking the guys themselves to let me photograph them (unless they offer or anything, in which case I don't mind, I just don't want to be annoying or hassling them is all).

I'll play about with a few different angles and see what happens I suppose. Never tried bokeh before and have no idea how to accomplish it. I'ma complete beginner so my lenses are all 'kit' lenses (Canon 18-55, Olympus 14-42 & 40-150) so I'm really just hoping for the best.

I stressed to them that I am by no means a professional photographer and merely Joe Soap with a camera, and they didn't really seem to care. Fair play to them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

once you have them processed, give them a good few prints (not digital files). People love prints like that, and their much more likely to let you do it again or help you out if needs be.

alexlyons wrote: »
    once you have them processed, give them a good few prints (not digital files). People love prints like that, and their much more likely to let you do it again or help you out if needs be.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I planned to drop up a CD with all the photos, a few of them printed out and a 'Thank you' card as a way of saying cheers for their time.

Was gonna throw in a box of roses or something, but wasn't sure if that was a little too romantic or something. Haha. I'm open to suggestions :P

I'd say if you have a really good one that maybe tells a story of their life or really describes the atmosphere of the station etc, get a reasonable size framed nicely for them. Personally I'd say no smaller than 10x8in. Forget the roses, and do that!

CD isn't a bad idea, but when your giving them, I'd say give them the framed print, then the unframed ones, then give them the CD while saying something along the lines of "here's a CD with a good few shots on it, if any of the guys/girls want them for computer backgrounds, prints etc" the main focus should be on the prints, and the CD is an extra to give them control of what they use where. A lot of people don't ever bother printing photos, the CD gets thrown in a drawer to be looked at "later", hence why producing them for them works really well. Obviously in this case I would assume the CD will be passed around. Make sure you label it with a nice looking design if you can. If there's a lot of people their on the day, a second CD may be no harm so they're not waiting days to bring it home or whatever. This all costs (not much I might add!) but for the shots your going to get, it's well well worth it. They're being really nice to you, be even nicer to them. Remember, if you get trapped in a burning building, these guys are coming after you, keep them happy :p On a more serious note, I've a huge amount of respect for these guys, not many people would do what they do (I'm involved in a similarly risky service, but these guys have it tough) that's why I would really push the idea of treating them very well.

In terms of what prints, I would say a few larger ones, and a good load of copies of a fair few images at 6x4 so they can all take at least one print home etc, prints are very cheap, and for the generosity they're showing, it's well worth it. I'd say it would be hard to overkill the amount of prints, multiple copies of each image is important.

Also, what station is this (or even the general area if you don't want to say). This isn't a bad idea, and I might go down to me local station and have a chat with a few of the guys I know. The training aspect really appeals to me. DOn't want to end up hitting the same station!

edit: just saw you're in louth, didn't see that earlier, no worries about the location then.

It's the Station in Drogheda, and I really do like your ideas. May take a little while to get back to them with something though (i'd probably use an online printing site to get the photos done for them) but I'm not going to plan on anything just yet as there is still the (unfortunately, very high) possibility of the photos being crap (thus I certainly wouldn't be enlarging them!).

EDIT: How about a photobook instead of a framed photo?

why do you reckon they'll be crap? run through a few ideas you have here, and I (or anyone else) can run through them, and get a few more from them, making suggestions etc. Have a good search online to see if anyone has done anything similar, and make a note of what you like and bring it with you on the day. Being prepared is key to success. Photography is all about lighting and composition. If you see something online and you think you don't like it, spend more time on it, analysing exactly what you do and don't like about the image, and take something similar but different. don't cast off photo's online because they simply don't appeal to you. I'd definitely say get the firemen involved. If you get a few willing subjects, get them out of their typical poses (don't ignore these though, take them as well) and get them doing really obscure things. One idea that springs to mind, that may or may not work, is one guy getting sprayed with the hose by another. Once it's not a pose and completely natural (surprise is good) it should turn out well. You'll need to be quick and creative to get good shots like that, but it's not impossible by any means, no matter how experienced you are.

A great example of stretching the boundaries is a shot I saw in a wedding album that a friend of mine photographed. The couple were obviously really happy on the day etc and at the end of the day, after all the shots, they were near an outdoor pool and the photographer suddenly told them to run and jump in, in their full wedding gear! They looked at each other and just went for it, it was easily the best shot of any wedding album I have ever seen, and it was the photograph that described the entire day. It was also the one used for anything they were doing after (cards etc). It's all about creativity and going way beyond the norm.

You still need to respect your subjects. If they seem hesitant then try to convince them, but once they firmly say no, then accept it, but don't be afraid to ask something similar but different if you get me!

You should get some great shots, but trucks on their own could get boring, hence why I say the need for the firefighters is pretty high.

One last thing, quick turn around time is always good. I appreciate you're giving them the prints for free, but you want it to be fresh in their mind and still interesting for them, even if it means an extra few cent per print to get them done in a shop. Granted it's up to you to decide the budget etc, but you should prioritise post processing as one of the first things you do once you set foot in the door on your return, that way your ready to print very soon.

PM me if you want any in depth help or whatever. Post pics up here when your done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Why not wait till your nearest head shop self combusts, then you'll get fire trucks, fire men, smoke, fire etc............
    :D

EDIT: How about a photobook instead of a framed photo?

Only saw that now, photo book is a great idea. just make sure you lay it out right and it looks well, takes a lot more time than a framed photo, but still possible to get done in a week if your committed!

You've certainly got some great ideas, but I don't just don't think it's likely I'll end up in that kind of atmosphere where the lads will be up for anything like that.

When I went up today, the place seemed desserted, aside from two or three guys in an office at the front. Now I'm not completely stupid, I'm aware there is always a crew working, but I assume they have a games room or staff room or something where they spend most of their time, and would rather not be bothered by Joe Soap and his camera.

I'll say it to the guys on the way in and see what is said to me, but I won't be holding my breath on it.

I kind of stressed in the letter that it was only the vehicles I was interested in, so I don't want to turn around at the last minute and start requesting a group photos and the likes (I know that's not what you meant, but I'm just using it as an example).

I can see (now) that the people themselves would make for more interesting shots. Can I ask, in a stereotypical station, like the Drogheda one, what way would the lads be when working, but with nothing to do?

Do they just stand around talking in their own little groups, or would they have a private staff room or...?

If they were all just standing around talking amongst themselves, I'd probably ask if it were ok for me to be left alone to wander around for a little while by myself. I like to try and take some sneaky pictures of people when they don't know they're being photographed. I find that once people know there is a camera in their area, despite what they're doing, whether it be posing for a photo or just talking amongst themselves, they're always alert about the camera and their facial expressions change because of it.

I'll go up here with an open mind, but unless I think I'm going to annoy anyone, I'll stick to just photographing the vehicles.

If you've any advice or thoughts about anything I can do (without annoying the guys) then by all means please do let me know. I've loved your ideas so far, but as I say, I just don't want to be a hassle.

Only saw that now, photo book is a great idea. just make sure you lay it out right and it looks well, takes a lot more time than a framed photo, but still possible to get done in a week if your committed!

I've heard good things about photobox.ie, and I've currently just stuck in an order for 100 standard prints with them to see how long they take. I seen they do photobooks so I just thought of it.

Their books look nice and neat. Just don't know if they'll take much longer to make than a regular order of just random 'standard' sized photos.

There's a Kodak express shop in Drogheda, so I'll pop in there tomorrow and see if I can get a price list off them or something along those lines for this kind of stuff.

You've certainly got some great ideas, but I don't just don't think it's likely I'll end up in that kind of atmosphere where the lads will be up for anything like that.

your best bet is to be straight with them. Tell them you initially thought about the trucks, but on talking to people about it, the idea of including the firemen came up and would make great shots. Be very clear that it is up to them and you appreciate that you didn't say it initially (apologise if needs be). Say something like "if any of the guys would be interested in getting involved it would be great and they would control how much or little they would do, but no worries if they don't" let them go off and think about it, maybe even mention it in a quick confirmation email of the time you're to go own to them, if your on emailing terms. As I said, just be honest with them, worst they can say is no. Not trying to make myself sound great or anything, but it takes a certain type of person to do these jobs, most are very personable and friendly, and up for an adventure, I'd be surprised if non of them want to get involved, and once one says ye, they generally convince a few others! Don't know if you've seen it, but the dublin fire brigade calendar is a prime example! Also, confirm with them exactly what the photos will be used for, and ask them if they would like it in writing, especially if there is ANY person in ANY shot.

I can see (now) that the people themselves would make for more interesting shots. Can I ask, in a stereotypical station, like the Drogheda one, what way would the lads be when working, but with nothing to do?

Do they just stand around talking in their own little groups, or would they have a private staff room or...?

If they were all just standing around talking amongst themselves, I'd probably ask if it were ok for me to be left alone to wander around for a little while by myself. I like to try and take some sneaky pictures of people when they don't know they're being photographed. I find that once people know there is a camera in their area, despite what they're doing, whether it be posing for a photo or just talking amongst themselves, they're always alert about the camera and their facial expressions change because of it.

You've got it bang on there about facial expressions changing etc stay discreet if its a relaxed atmosphere and you're photography people informally (in any environment).

In terms of what they do, I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume they spend a fair bit of time maintaining gear and equipment, training, and relaxing (pool, reading, whatever they want really). As they are all pretty equal, there wouldn't be a staffroom, there may be separate offices for officers or the chief etc. It is very much a family atmosphere and they would normally get on quite well with each other, I wouldn't think there would be much segregation in terms of small groups etc.

I'll go up here with an open mind, but unless I think I'm going to annoy anyone, I'll stick to just photographing the vehicles.

If you've any advice or thoughts about anything I can do (without annoying the guys) then by all means please do let me know. I've loved your ideas so far, but as I say, I just don't want to be a hassle.

You got that top bit a bit mixed up :p but I get what you're saying! As I said earlier, be open with them, get them to tell you if you are in their way, or you can't photograph something. I wouldn't assume they get many visitors, so it could well be a welcome change for them, I would nearly go so far as to say that you may even be entertainment rather than a hassle. From my own experience, it is rare that you would get groups of people such as firefighters, that pursue this line of work, in a bad mood when relaxing etc. Granted, God forbid, if something tragic had happened to one of their own, it would not be a great time to turn up and they wouldn't be interested in something like this. Not trying to sound condescending or anything, but maybe have a slightly more positive outlook on it. They are humans and more than likely up for a laugh, give it a shot and as I said, the worst they can do is say no!

About taking the trucks (and the actual station if you can), get low, get high and get different. Take angles that the normal person wouldn't take. Take things the normal person wouldn't see (inside if you can). Get up on top of a truck if they let you and take some really obscure shots. Bring plenty on memory cards and just keep shooting.

I know I keep repeating my self, but I just remembered your original post. You said they offered to take the trucks out and start moving gear there and then. Can you get any more willing and friendly than that? These guys seem like an incredible bunch, don't abuse there generosity, but make the most of it while you can, while still being very nice.

Take stuff like the trousers around the boots, different bits of the gear (close ups etc, not necessarily getting the whole thing in). If you get a willing subject, ask him/her to put on all the gear (helmet, bottle, the works). The reason I say this is not to get a photo of a fireman in full gear, but get pictures of them actually putting it on. slinging the bottle on his back etc etc. I appreciate your concerns about being a hassle, which I addressed earlier, and I'm suggesting all these things on the basis that they are willing to to stuff, which they have already proven. Another great shot is an unrolled hose or similar.

A good bit of what I suggested takes place during a training session. Maybe go down on saturday, have a chat, talk about getting people in and doing stuff, if they seem interested at all, maybe suggest that rather than hassling them to do specific things, you could take a few shots of the trucks and whatever today, and come back when they are training to get some really good shots of them doing all this and all the gear in use, while not bothering them to do it specifically for you. It will also be much more natural if they are busy doing it because they have to, not because you want them to, much the same as facial expressions as you mentioned. When your talking to them, especially if the actual people are going to be involved, make sure you tell them what you want to shoot, ask for suggestions and most importantly, stress asking for any objections. I just can't stress enough how nice these guys are, from my own experience and from what you've said about them already.

Really sorry about the length, I keep thinking of things and just adding them in. Its all a bit all over the place!

It's going to be an incredible shoot! I'm so jealous! Would love to pop up and join you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Drogheda Fire station is quite an impressive modern building, isn't it? Make sure you get some shots with it as a background etc. Or if you're passing in the evening/at night you might stop and get some extra interesting photos to make part of the set.

Well if it turns out to be anything even remotely like what this thread would believe you to think it could potentially be like, then yes, it will indeed be incredible.

Have to admit though; I'd have always thought the Fire Stations across the country would get a lot of visitors? I always thought kids would want to go to them, and the parents would try to arrange something with the fire station? Or maybe I'm thinking too American?

And yeah, when I arrived today and mentioned photographs, the guy I was talking to (Station manager) had one of the guys halfway out the door to start moving things for me before I could tell him I wasn't planning on taking any pictures today (you'd have to be an idiot to show up and give them no notice whatsoever, in my opinion).

If you do think of anything else Alex, please don't hesitate to throw any advice, suggestions or feedback my way (either on here or via PM).

I'm on a FAS course that ends this week, so this is pretty much the ony thing that will be on my mind for the next week and a half. Will have to get the cameras around my neck and get onto the town to start photographing cars, vans, buses and trucks of all descriptions to try and see if I can think of anything original at all.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Just seen your post, Grieves. Yes, it's only been around a few years as far as I'm aware.

They actually have a photography sponsor I think. On their site (www.droghedafireandrescueservice.com) they have a thank you sign to NewsFile for providing them with images. Pretty clever.

There's a few images on there of people doing work experience and others visitng the station and such, but whatever way the site is designed, the links (which show up on a tab on the right of the page) only seem to show up at certain times. I actually spent a while browsing the site a few days ago for a while, and i've been on and off it since, but I only noticed the work experience, station visits, etc. links there a second ago.

A lot of the Vehicle pictures (in the "operational" tab on the left) seem to be from a few years ago, at the old fire station.

(you'd have to be an idiot to show up and give them no notice whatsoever, in my opinion)

I'd be in complete agreement. I couldn't do it to anyone, unless it was a specific circumstance that meant no notice was possible. It would just seem rude and as if you thought they did nothing all day!

If I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know. Sometimes when a post goes dead for a few days the email alerts can go a bit weird, so that's why I always offer PM and I send them if needs be.

One thing I forgot, if it does end up just being vehicles, I'd say a framed print would be fine. Or maybe a multiple print frame with a few shots. But if people are heavily involved then the book is a great idea!

I'd love to see the photos as I said, but if when your talking to them about what they're for, they mention nothing online, you might PM me. I'd love to see a few, even off thread. Feedback on shoots is always handy, for all parties involved!

I'll think of a few different things such as angles, lighting composition etc I've a few ideas already but I'll wait and put them all together. Take from it what you will, nothing if that's the way it is, but at least you'll have a second take on things!

Also, stick up a list of every single last detail of all your equipment, so I know what you're working with, so i don't go suggesting ridiculous ideas with mad gear, or the other way around! Not trying to sound like I know everything, just a second brain so you get the most out of it!

To be honest, my 'equipment' is practically non-existant. As I say, I'm very new to photography and still just getting into it.

I have an Olympus E-420 (Entry Level) DSLR with a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens (though I don't think sich a zoom lens will be of any use up here). I bought a Metz 48 AF-1 flash gun for it online the other day which may be handy for the interior of the station (seems a bit dark from the small time I was in it) but if they're gonna move the trucks outside then it's useless.

I also have a Canon EOS 20D (Semi-Professional camera, I believe, but discontinued by Canon). It has an 18-55mm lens, so not that much different to the Olympus lens.

I have the Gorillapod Tripod but I don't think that will be of any use to me.

That's pretty much all I have. Looking back, I probably should have waited until I have a bit more of a lens collection, but I'm not too bothered either way. In the back of my head, I'm kind of hoping that I will stick to learning photography throughout the year and will become better and more knowledgeable about it. In which case, I'm gonna send the same letters (asking to photograph the vehicles) to An Garda Sìochàna and the Fire Station around this time next year, and see if the photographs are any better than what I take this time around.

Considering I just originally wanted to photograph the cars/trucks at first, I thought I'd be well covered with my current stuff (plus I'm still learning the different settings on the cameras, ie; what shutter speeds to use at different times, and so forth).

There's an emergency services forum with a thread just for the emergency service vehicles, so I'll drop a few pictures in there, but I'd be happy to send you along copies of everything I take :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

If you are ever down this way give me a shout and I will take you around our Station and we will "hopefully" get some nice shots

Click on attachments: A few I took the other night at a gorse fire up the side of a mountain at some crazy hour of the morning!!!!

To be honest, my 'equipment' is practically non-existant. As I say, I'm very new to photography and still just getting into it.

I have an Olympus E-420 (Entry Level) DSLR with a 14-42mm lens and a 40-150mm lens (though I don't think sich a zoom lens will be of any use up here). I bought a Metz 48 AF-1 flash gun for it online the other day which may be handy for the interior of the station (seems a bit dark from the small time I was in it) but if they're gonna move the trucks outside then it's useless.

I also have a Canon EOS 20D (Semi-Professional camera, I believe, but discontinued by Canon). It has an 18-55mm lens, so not that much different to the Olympus lens.

I have the Gorillapod Tripod but I don't think that will be of any use to me.

That's pretty much all I have. Looking back, I probably should have waited until I have a bit more of a lens collection, but I'm not too bothered either way. In the back of my head, I'm kind of hoping that I will stick to learning photography throughout the year and will become better and more knowledgeable about it. In which case, I'm gonna send the same letters (asking to photograph the vehicles) to An Garda Sìochàna and the Fire Station around this time next year, and see if the photographs are any better than what I take this time around.

Considering I just originally wanted to photograph the cars/trucks at first, I thought I'd be well covered with my current stuff (plus I'm still learning the different settings on the cameras, ie; what shutter speeds to use at different times, and so forth).

There's an emergency services forum with a thread just for the emergency service vehicles, so I'll drop a few pictures in there, but I'd be happy to send you along copies of everything I take :)

You've got some great gear there. I'd change the opinion that you're not going to get good shots with it! It's more often the photographer that makes a good picture, not the gear!

On looking at what you have, the 14mm lens is pretty wide, and will get you some very nice shots, especially inside the cab, of dials, instruments etc. Remember, wide angle should be used to get closer and still fit your subject in, not stay the same distance and get more in! Obviously a bit different if your in the cab, but you get what I mean.

Just because you're outside, doesn't mean your flash is useless. Its always a good idea to use it, especially with people, to eliminate any unwanted shadows. Bounce it around and see what happens. In side the cab could be a bit darker, and definitely throw up some shadows if its a bright day (hopefully!). Bouncing it will work much better than firing straight at the subject (instruments in this case). Keep taking the image with different settings until you get it right!

Your gorilla pod is a godsend! You can set it up anywhere, and do some long exposures to capture movement, set it up in the cab if flash isn't working, tripods are a must, they open up a world of possibilities! If you can, I would get some form of cable release. It really helps eliminate camera shake with slow shutter speeds, and you'll benefit from it after this shoot. There not that expensive and well worth the few €. If you can't get one for saturday, the self timer works well (a 2s delay is fine) and if you can lock the mirror up its no harm either.

Would be delighted to get some of the photos!
    Fireman wrote: »
    If you are ever down this way give me a shout and I will take you around our Station and we will "hopefully" get some nice shots

really not wanting to steel any thunder here or anything, and don't know if that offer was open to just KKV, but I might be heading down to kerry (killarney) in the next few weeks. If your station is near by I'd love to try and pop in! No worries if you don't want to or whatever! PM me if you want to take this off thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

...does anyone have any hints or tips on photographing lorries?

No but... I suggest that since you'll have precious limited time at the station that you get some experience elsewhere before you go. Maybe at a local depot somewhere. It might spin off to a complete project of its own.

Good luck.
    :0)

You've got some great gear there. I'd change the opinion that you're not going to get good shots with it! It's more often the photographer that makes a good picture, not the gear!

On looking at what you have, the 14mm lens is pretty wide, and will get you some very nice shots, especially inside the cab, of dials, instruments etc. Remember, wide angle should be used to get closer and still fit your subject in, not stay the same distance and get more in! Obviously a bit different if your in the cab, but you get what I mean.

Just because you're outside, doesn't mean your flash is useless. Its always a good idea to use it, especially with people, to eliminate any unwanted shadows. Bounce it around and see what happens. In side the cab could be a bit darker, and definitely throw up some shadows if its a bright day (hopefully!). Bouncing it will work much better than firing straight at the subject (instruments in this case). Keep taking the image with different settings until you get it right!

Your gorilla pod is a godsend! You can set it up anywhere, and do some long exposures to capture movement, set it up in the cab if flash isn't working, tripods are a must, they open up a world of possibilities! If you can, I would get some form of cable release. It really helps eliminate camera shake with slow shutter speeds, and you'll benefit from it after this shoot. There not that expensive and well worth the few €. If you can't get one for saturday, the self timer works well (a 2s delay is fine) and if you can lock the mirror up its no harm either.

Would be delighted to get some of the photos!

really not wanting to steel any thunder here or anything, and don't know if that offer was open to just KKV, but I might be heading down to kerry (killarney) in the next few weeks. If your station is near by I'd love to try and pop in! No worries if you don't want to or whatever! PM me if you want to take this off thread.

The offer is open to anyone!!, I live in Listowel, it's 1hr drive from Killarney but if you want I could arrange for you to meet one of the firefighters in Killarney if that suits you better as there is a full time Station Officer there and he will look after you or he will arrange for someone else

that's really great! I'm heading down with the ol' man for a bit of R&R, and he's the one that got me into photography, so it would be really great to even visit and maybe get a few shots! Once I know the dates we're going down I might drop you a PM. Thanks a million

Fireman wrote: »

Click on attachments: A few I took the other night at a gorse fire up the side of a mountain at some crazy hour of the morning!!!!

Those images don't seem to be working for me :confused::(

Fiar play for the offer of the station visit, Fireman. I hope you get to go down and it works out for you Alex. I'd have offered to invite you along to this with myself, but I don't want to start pushing my luck with the guys (though thinking about it, they may not care at all, I really just don't know at the moment what to think, so I'm trying to thread lightly, and hopefully if I get on well with the guys and they don't mind me hassling them, I'll ask about shots of them training, etc.)

Fiar play for the offer of the station visit, Fireman. I hope you get to go down and it works out for you Alex. I'd have offered to invite you along to this with myself, but I don't want to start pushing my luck with the guys (though thinking about it, they may not care at all, I really just don't know at the moment what to think, so I'm trying to thread lightly, and hopefully if I get on well with the guys and they don't mind me hassling them, I'll ask about shots of them training, etc.)

I cant open the images either, but it look like that other people on the forum have opened them. I will upload them again later when I get a chance

Ah no worries, not expecting to come along at all, just saying it would be pretty cool, completely understand how it wouldn't be fair etc. I'd agree that there is a pretty good chance they wouldn't mind, but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

If yea need any gear let me know, flash+tripod.

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    If yea need any gear let me know, flash+tripod.

Chorcai, as man-lovish as this will sound, I really appreciate that. You're an incredibly selfless guy and have been nothing but fantastic help to me since i first talked to you on here.

In saying that though, you may regret making that post! (Only joking, I wouldn't ask for a lend of anything off you, I know I'd only be hassling you). :)

Chorcai, as man-lovish as this will sound, I really appreciate that. You're an incredibly selfless guy and have been nothing but fantastic help to me since i first talked to you on here.

In saying that though, you may regret making that post! (Only joking, I wouldn't ask for a lend of anything off you, I know I'd only be hassling you). :)

STFU and grow a set, stuff is here if ya want it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Yeah, I was thinking that. I planned to drop up a CD with all the photos, a few of them printed out and a 'Thank you' card as a way of saying cheers for their time.

Was gonna throw in a box of roses or something, but wasn't sure if that was a little too romantic or something. Haha. I'm open to suggestions :P

I think they prefer Heros instead of Roses ... something about the name :D

Ah I don't think a proper tripod would be much use to me Chorcai. It'll be daylight, so I won't need many long shutter speeds, and in the event that I do, I'm sure (I hope) the Gorillapod will suffice. :) I got my flash gun in the post yesterday too, so I'll bring that up (though I haven't a clue how to use it outside of Auto!).

Just out of curiousity, I've contacted the Fire Station, An Garda Sìochàna, and took pictures of the Drogheda River Rescue Van. Who else is there?

There's a Coast Guard jeep parked around the corner from my house some times (though whenever I look for it with my camera on me, it's nowhere to be found). Anyone with emergency-specific vehicles I'm missing? (I know about Ambulances, but still don't know who I'm supposed to contact regarding photographing them).

Ah I don't think a proper tripod would be much use to me Chorcai. It'll be daylight, so I won't need many long shutter speeds, and in the event that I do, I'm sure (I hope) the Gorillapod will suffice. :) I got my flash gun in the post yesterday too, so I'll bring that up (though I haven't a clue how to use it outside of Auto!).

Just out of curiousity, I've contacted the Fire Station, An Garda Sìochàna, and took pictures of the Drogheda River Rescue Van. Who else is there?

There's a Coast Guard jeep parked around the corner from my house some times (though whenever I look for it with my camera on me, it's nowhere to be found). Anyone with emergency-specific vehicles I'm missing? (I know about Ambulances, but still don't know who I'm supposed to contact regarding photographing them).

I know someone who is in the coast guard or was either way they have contacts. Ill text ya in the morning (Sat).

good luck with it today! let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement

good luck with it today! let us know how it goes!

It's actually not today. Saturday next week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

It's actually not today. Saturday next week :(

Woohoo, a week to look forward to it! Should be a blast, cool idea!

kjt wrote: »
    Woohoo, a week to look forward to it! Should be a blast, cool idea!

Kyle, interested to hear any opinion on what I said above. Any thoughts?

Just back from the station. On the Olympus I took 1,008 photographs, on the Canon, 126. At least one of them better be good :p

They gave me a guided tour of the building and allowed me to photograph all of the rooms. They also have a few miniature model fire trucks collected and they have a helmet collection, little 'museum' of older bits and bobs, etc. inthe station along with gym, changing rooms, canteen, etc.

The guy I spent most of my time with was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Good and bad notes on the trucks, I was pretty much just left alone with them, so I didn't start opening/closing stuff or climbing around on them (didn't want to cross any boundaries) so the trucks are all pretty stationary and closed up, unfortunately, but the good side of it is that I felt really comfortabe knowing there wasn't someone watching over my shoulder the whole time and so I took a lot of photos over and over again with different settings to play about with on the computer later.

The guy I was with (don't want to put his name up, just incase) also spoke to another fireman there, and they said they'd be having a training session at around 2pm, and if I wanted to call up to take some photos then I could feel free to. So hopefully that will go ahead and I'll head back up soon.

Just getting a quick cup of tea into me and transferring the pictures to the PC so I can wipe the cards, charge up the batteries, etc.

Flash gun was a life saver by the way. Helped a lot when I was in the station!

Didn't get any shots of the people sadly, though they weren't really doing much and I only came across a handful. Will hopefully get something decent if they go ahead with their training session.

The sun was working against me this morning and caused a bit of glare here and there, so I took the same photo over and over again in the hope of getting one usable one.

The above reply was very rushed, I admit, so here's a better idea of how my day went.

I headed up to the station at about 10:45. The guys were supposed to be working from 9am to 9pm, so I wanted to give them an hour or so to settle in and not be walking in the door right behind them.

The guys were pretty relaxed, though I only seen one or two around the place. The guy I was dealing with, who I'll refer to as FM (Fire-Man) as I wouldn't want to put his name out and about just incase he wouldn't like me to (though I've nothing but good things to say).

He took me out through the station to the back area. He reversed the trucks out for me. You know the way the trucks are lined side by side? Well he took every second truck out, so I would have plenty of space between them to take some shots.

Unfortunately, upon talking to the guys, they said I'd be best to keep the photos away from the internet until I get permission from the Senior Assistant Chief Fire Officer (S.A.C.F.O = Pretty much the boss) saying that I can post them online. So, due to that, I'm going to not post any just yet. I respect the guys and appreciate that they have been overly and un-necessarily nice to me, so I'm going to respect their decision and ask for permission before I post anything up.

I started away taking photos, and FM headed off to tend to his own business. Said a quick hello to one or two other guys that walked past around the place. I was actually kind ot taken aback when I seen FM getting the vehicles. The trucks engines were running and so I couldn't really hear different engines or anything, but I was looking at the three trucks, and got into my own little world, but when I finished taking photos of one of the trucks, I turned around to be confronted by a mass of vehicles. More than I expected. Vans and jeeps galore.

Anyway, I got stuck in and before I know it, an hour and many jeeps, vans and trucks later, I was done. This kind of situation is pretty new to me (being somewhere to solely take photos and asking permission to do so) so I didn't want to cause hassle or annoyance with the guys. Therefore, I didn't go near any of the trucks doors or anything.

I just took a few photos from each side, looking up and a few close ups of the lights, the "Drogheda Fire & Rescue" writing, etc.

Anyway, FM and FM2 (a fireman in the station) appraoched me and said they'd be training later on, in a small group, if I wanted to pop back up later and take photos. Said it'd be about two or three. I happily agreed and they took my number.

At this point FM had came back and offered to show me around the building. He took me into pretty much every room in the station and explained what each room was for, what was done in them and so forth, and let me take photos of each one.

During this I came across quite a unique sight. They had a garage area where one of their trucks must have been getting worked on. It sat inside the garage area, with it's cab tilted forward. Never seen a Fire Truck with it's cab forward like that before. Snapped a quick picture or two, but neither came out really well, as there was a lot of clutter in the place and there were wires, pylons, etc. in the room, restricting movement.

He showed me up to their gym, training room (class room, really) and canteen, etc. He also showed me a corner of their first floor corridor that is like their mini-museum. A collection of Fire and war helmets, different badges, photos, signage, etc. that had been collected over the years. Also, along a few window sills on the first floor, they had a few 'dinky' models and such of different fire engines, jeeps and other such miniatures. Pretty cool to see that they themselves are fans of their work.

Also met another Fireman, whose name I can't remember. He was also interested in photographer and recommended I get in touch with the Drogheda Camera Club for learning and such. We actually had a few short bump-ins during the day and made some small talk about photograph. He shoots with a Canon 450D if I remember correctly. Nice man. Apparently serving for 39 years with the Fire service!

After this, I said my goodbyes, went home, and transferred everything over to my PC and charged up my batteries as much as I could.

Got a phone call to say they were gonna start their training session soon, so I grabbed my stuff and headed back up again.

Their training session wasn't what I was expecting (though it would turn out it didn't matter, as I'll get to).

They had a truck out, with a ladder on top. Apparently in the coming week they'll be getting tested on this appliance and were practicing on it to make sure they had it down right. They were going up in the ladder, messing about near a window on their training tower and coming back down. Not entirely sure what they were doing up there, as I'm not that informed, but it looked pretty cool.

Anyway, there were three of them to be doing this training routing. They set up the truck, set up the ladder, and FM2 got in, went up and did his thing. Next up was FM3's turn.

However, I don't know if this is good or bad really, but I suppose it was good for me, as FM3 stepped into the ladder to begin training, the alarm went off and the guys dropped everything and off into a fire truck with them. Tried to get a few photos of them leaving but they came out crap (joys of being a beginner!) so most got deleted.

As they were gone, though, another crew arrived at the station to take over. These guys, also great, nice guys, told me I could feel free to wander around. I queried opening the doors on the trucks and stuff and they said fire away. They didn't care, so long as I closed everything up when done with it.

So, using this to my advantage, i ran about the trucks and opened doors, got photos of the fronts of the trucks beside each other, few shots of the interiors (that came out pretty crap, to be honest, due to a lack of lighting, and the shutter on my E-420 began to sound funny, so I tried to avoid using it, and thats the one with the flash gun, so...).

Anyway, the guys arrived back unscathed and they went about putting the ladder down and tidying the truck away.

A few of the guys were either heading home for the day or on lunch or something, and seen as they were going, I decided I'd call it a day again (it was about half five at this stage). As I was walking out the door, alarm goes off, so as I was walking past the front of the station I got a photo or two of the truck in the station with it's blues flashing (unfortunately, they only seemed to flash one at a time, so I'll have to mess about in PP to try and get more than one light flashing at a time if possible, for dramatic effect).

As the truck pulled out, blared it's siren and tore off down the road, I walked home thinking of a great day passed.

Nothing but a bunch of genuinely nice guys, more than happy to help out and made me feel like I'd known them all my life. Delighted I sent that letter now!

Sorry for the long post, but for those who may be interested, I feel it necessary to mention eveything. Fantastic time.

Thank you Drogheda Fire & Rescue Station!

• Advertisement

sounds like you had a great day! Would love to see a few photos! sounds like you sort of rushed yourself when there wasn't a huge amount of need to?! Maybe a lesson learned for next time, take your time with less photos rather than loads of possibly rushed ones?

Yeah, I was kind of trying to get in and out as quick as I could. I was still in "don't want to cause hassle" mode for the lot of the morning. It was only after being around the building that I actually kind of realised they didn't mind me being there at all. :o

I won't be uploading any pictures until they say I can. There's nothing 'bad' or anything in the pictures. Just every day pictures really, so I can't see them having any problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Fair play man. they have some amount of gear there!!

some good shots too

Some photos that don't have mechanically propelled motor vehicles in them :P

p3201337.jpg

p3201344.jpg

p3201352x.jpg

p3201383.jpg

p3201400.jpg

p3201460n.jpg

p3201482.jpg

p3201499.jpg

img0402lf.jpg

p3201766.jpg

p3201831.jpg

(I, for some reason I can't quite figure out, became obsessed with shots from behind the helmet-clad head of the guys. I took about a billion photos very similar to the above three. Most of which got deleted)

And not sure why, but one of my favourites:

p3201781.jpg

I know none of the pictures are very complex or 'arty' or anything. I didn't really want loads of black and white extreme close-ups. This was my first time ever really doing anything like this, so I felt a bit uncomfortable for a while, and didn't want to be causing hassle or anything. Maybe next year I'll ask again if I can visit their station. See if I get any better results :)

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and advice along the way guys :)

Advertisement