Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next TD Of Waterford?

• 09-03-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

So Martin Cullen Resigned as TD For Waterford blah blah blah... He gave a letter to the Taoiseach yesturday i think that he was to Resign And he is heading home with a nice 250,000 Euro while the rest of us have nothing Man he is ignorant he doesent deserve that much money :mad: So who should the next TD For waterford? if there is gonna be another one
    Probaly wont get one for another while. but Who should it be or has anybody got any guesses? :)

Martin-Cullen-1.jpgFair well Mr cullen it a hasnt been fun useless ejitt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

My picks:

Sully

Howdo

seanybiker

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

ziedth wrote: »
    My picks:

Sully

Howdo

seanybiker

Me
    Haha! Good choices Howdo guy should be the new TD He would be a very good one Opening strip clubs and free beer on every street corner lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

No more. No less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kwality thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

RobitTV wrote: »
    And he is heading home with a nice 250,000 Euro while the rest of us have nothing Man he is ignorant he doesent deserve that much money :mad:

Martin-Cullen-1.jpgFair well Mr cullen it a hasnt been fun useless ejitt

Well, he's still a poor man in comparison to Monica The Leech.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Well, he's still a poor man in comparison to Monica The Leech.:D

Not for long, as all his own libel cases in relation to the same issue are now coming down the line. Still well within time.

Whether they will be settled or not I don't know, some probably will, but he's going to get a lot of money (I reckon) in any event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

Not for long, as all his own libel cases in relation to the same issue are now coming down the line. Still well within time.

Whether they will be settled or not I don't know, some probably will, but he's going to get a lot of money (I reckon) in any event.

Very good observation, my initial response when I heard he was resigning as a minister and a TD was 1) he was giving two fingers to Brian Cowen because he was going to drop him anyway and 2) he can now take the libel cases which he couldnt have done as a minister or TD. Set for big money I would agree, look at what she got.

To be honest I am certainly not a fan of Martin Cullen but he was treated badly on the whole Leech case and should be compensated, the media made up false stories and were found out! In relation to who will win his seat in a bye-election, my money would be on the FG candidate (Coffey or Cummins) or Halligan (if he joins Labour). By joining the Labour party he would get support from outside the city, as an independent, he simply wouldn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would like it to be Paudie Coffey. Im an FG supporter but I still think Paudie would be the best person

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I would like it to be Paudie Coffey. Im an FG supporter but I still think Paudie would be the best person

I met Paudie once and he came accross as a nice guy, really genuine fellow. I'm no fan of FG but I think he will be elected next time round. John Cummins is a good prospect in the future for FG so that will keep Paudie on his toes.

If there is to be a bye-election in Waterford, FF will capture the seat as they have the highest 1st preference vote.

In the event of a general election it will be the following:
    1 FF
    2 FG (Deasy and Coffey)
    1 Lab (all depends on who they run)

Halligan is a shoe in but only if he joins Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Who can Labour run? Pat Hayes is set to retire as a councilor after the next election.

I reckon Halligan could do well as an independent, attracting 'Labour' votes. He is a bit of a city candidate though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

I was'nt aware he taking a case too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Here's my 10 leading campaign points

1 I need a job
    2 No experience , but cannot be much worse than the clowns that are there already .
    3 I need a job
    4 Any wages over €650 per week will go to local groups every week
    5 I need a job
    6 I will step down after two elections [once i have my penison ,again a percentage of this will be share with local groups] give someone else a go .
    7 Will only concern myself with local issues .
    8 I need a job.
    9 Will spend a hell of alot of time dealing and infront of planning boards will become A particular Greens ANTI-CHRIST ,
    10 I need a job.

more to follow...........

PS I need a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

i cant see ff winning a bye-election.at best they will blood a few candidates knowing that a general election isnt too far away.
    i think it would be between coffey and halligan for the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Partizan wrote: »
    I met Paudie once and he came accross as a nice guy, really genuine fellow. I'm no fan of FG but I think he will be elected next time round. John Cummins is a good prospect in the future for FG so that will keep Paudie on his toes.

If there is to be a bye-election in Waterford, FF will capture the seat as they have the highest 1st preference vote.

In the event of a general election it will be the following:
    1 FF
    2 FG (Deasy and Coffey)
    1 Lab (all depends on who they run)

Halligan is a shoe in but only if he joins Labour.

do you actually know how the PR system works??? your post is laughable to be quite frank!! Highest numbber of first preferences doesnt get you the seat in an election where PR is used!!!!!!

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Here's my 10 leading campaign points

1 I need a job
    2 No experience , but cannot be much worse than the clowns that are there already .
    3 I need a job
    4 Any wages over €650 per week will go to local groups every week
    5 I need a job
    6 I will step down after two elections [once i have my penison ,again a percentage of this will be share with local groups] give someone else a go .
    7 Will only concern myself with local issues .
    8 I need a job.
    9 Will spend a hell of alot of time dealing and infront of planning boards will become A particular Greens ANTI-CHRIST ,
    10 I need a job.

more to follow...........

PS I need a job.

after reading that, im not surprised you havent a job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

do you actually know how the PR system works??? your post is laughable to be quite frank!! Highest numbber of first preferences doesnt get you the seat in an election where PR is used!!!!!!

I didn’t find it laughable and in the area of first preference votes it doesn’t mean automatically get you a seat but if you get the most first preference votes you can be fairly confidant you’re going to get in! There’s a quota that needs to be reached and it depends on the number of seats and votes cast.

transfers is what are crucial in a PR electoral battle!!

quota is decided by number of votes and seats. nothing to do with number of candidates! A by election victor needs 50% of the vote (plus 1 vote), in order to secure election!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

YES WE CAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

transfers is what are crucial in a PR electoral battle!!

quota is decided by number of votes and seats. nothing to do with number of candidates! A by election victor needs 50% of the vote (plus 1 vote), in order to secure election!
    Surely that wouldn't be the case in a by-election? Transfers are absolutely crucial in general and local elections in deciding the final seats but a by-election, while being PR, should run out like first past the post in that the candidate who receives the most amount of first preference votes would be expected to reach the quota first.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Surely that wouldn't be the case in a by-election? Transfers are absolutely crucial in general and local elections in deciding the final seats but a by-election, while being PR, should run out like first past the post in that the candidate who receives the most amount of first preference votes would be expected to reach the quota first.

did you ever hear of Mary Robinson?????????
    she was 5% behind Brian Lenihan on the first count!! he was on 44%, she was on 39%!
    she won!!!

• Advertisement

did you ever hear of Mary Robinson?????????
    she was 5% behind Brian Lenihan on the first count!! he was on 44%, she was on 39%!
    she won!!!
    That was a presidental election if memory serves but I agree it would probably be a similar set up to the by-election with only one seat.

You seem to have some knowledge on the subject Smiley, I know they must issue a writ and that first but is there any limit on how long after a seat becomes vacant that the by-election must take place?

and anyone who thinks FF are going to get the highest first perference vote are very mistaken.
    I reckon that Hilligan could run as an independant in a by-election to see how he polls if hes not happy he may well run on the Labour ticket at the next general

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

It works the exact same way as a GE but with just one seat. So say they're are five candidates. Whoever has the lowest amount of first preferences will be eliminated after the first count. Their votes will be redistributed and their second preferences will be passed on.

Then after that the person with the next lowest amount of votes will be eliminated and their votes redistributed etc etc. This example was given and illustrates it perfectly.

FF will be transfer repellent so even if they get the most amount of first preferences they won't be in the mix in Waterford. That said I doubt they will get the highest amount of first preferences anyway.

They polled 46.49% last time out. A significant portion of this would have been Martin Cullen's Ministerial and indeed personal vote. That's now gone so they won't poll anywhere in the region of that figure nor will they pick up number 2s.

My money would be on Coffey anyway.

It will be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork for te bye-election. Id imagine Coffey has it in the bag alright, Enda was down yesterday I heard Coffey was with him as well some early canvasing perhaps.

I must get that article on his expenses being one of the highest in the country out and leave by the door in anticipation for his visit.

Id like to see some restrictions of sitting senators and councillors running other elections they already have a job to do they were elected (and I used the term loosely for senators) to do a job for 5 years they should go do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I don't think we'll be seeing a bye-election to be honest.

jayboi wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork for te bye-election. Id imagine Coffey has it in the bag alright, Enda was down yesterday I heard Coffey was with him as well some early canvasing perhaps.

I must get that article on his expenses being one of the highest in the country out and leave by the door in anticipation for his visit.

Id like to see some restrictions of sitting senators and councillors running other elections they already have a job to do they were elected (and I used the term loosely for senators) to do a job for 5 years they should go do it.

Rubbish!! Politicians do have to campaign in order to be elected to higher office, or even re-elected to the position they hold. Stopping a councillor or senator from contesting an election would be undemocratic. In fact getting out and meeting the public during a campaign will help them do their job even better!!

as for their expenses--- expenses are paid in practically every job!! why should politicians be different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

It helps

Same applies to general and Bye elections as well as in local elections, when it comes to PR system if there is not a clear winner after the first count.

jayboi wrote: »

there is a number of senators that are not elected.

Rubbish!! Politicians do have to campaign in order to be elected to higher office, or even re-elected to the position they hold. Stopping a councillor or senator from contesting an election would be undemocratic. In fact getting out and meeting the public during a campaign will help them do their job even better!!

as for their expenses--- expenses are paid in practically every job!! why should politicians be different?

There is expenses and expenses. Some of the figures in the county for last year were released recently and make interesting reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Not being smart or anything but how old are you? we had 2 by-elections in this dail already, only less than 12 months ago and you still don't know the rules? Remember Geogre Lee, maybe a bad example because he won the seat on the first count ONLY because he exceeded the quota, what about the Maureen O'Sullivan, second or third on the first count but due to transfers she won the seat.
    There is at least one by election in every parliment elected in the last 30 years and the government has only ever won one.
    I don't think Brian Cowen will call a by election in Waterford because he doen't have to. Pity, because this would be Waterford's best chance to get some promises for the region.

Advertisement