Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering in the midlands.

• 09-03-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm a 19 y/o student. I am hoping to do some volunteer
    work, Does anyone know of any organisations in the westmeath/offaly
    area, Also anyone with experience would appreciate all advice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi miss5;

First off, what sort of volunteering are you looking at; once off, a once weekly thing or more often?

Secondly, what areas? There are so many from hands on with people and animals, to odd jobs work, collecting money in buckets or admin.. is there a particular area you are keen on because that would allow us to find organisations who you could contact. Maybe there is an area you would like to gain some experience in.

Thirdly, have a look here: http://www.volunteerwestmeath.ie/

and here: http://www.offalyldc.ie/offaly-volunteer-centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Thanks you so much for those links, I was hoping to volunteer
    weekly perhaps phone line help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 iPac

Hi Miss5,

I do a good bit of volunteering myself, unfortunatly, phone-line help volunteering positions aren't readily available in the midlands. However, there are some excellent youth service providers in Westmeath/Offaly. I myself Volunteer with The Big Brother Big Sister Programme in Offaly. It is a very rewarding project which I highly recommend.

I have also volunteered with Foroige Clubs and NATC Youth Services in Westmeath. St. Mary's Youth & Community Centre in Tullamore is also an excellent youth service provider boasting the largest youth club in the entire midland area. These are just some of the projects that I was involved in but there are countless more volunteering opportunities available out there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

iPac wrote: »
    Hi Miss5,

I do a good bit of volunteering myself, unfortunatly, phone-line help volunteering positions aren't readily available in the midlands. However, there are some excellent youth service providers in Westmeath/Offaly. I myself Volunteer with The Big Brother Big Sister Programme in Offaly. It is a very rewarding project which I highly recommend.

I have also volunteered with Foroige Clubs and NATC Youth Services in Westmeath. St. Mary's Youth & Community Centre in Tullamore is also an excellent youth service provider boasting the largest youth club in the entire midland area. These are just some of the projects that I was involved in but there are countless more volunteering opportunities available out there. :)
    Thank you very much, I'm going to college next year in Athlone and hoping
    to do some volunteering there during the week, If you hear of anything in
    Westmeath please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 iPac

miss5 wrote: »
    Thank you very much, I'm going to college next year in Athlone and hoping
    to do some volunteering there during the week, If you hear of anything in
    Westmeath please let me know.

Miss5,

I am actually in college in Athlone myself at the minute, what course are you looking at, Social Care?

There are plenty of Volunteer opportunities in Westmeath. In Athlone there are The NATC, Foroige, MRYS, The Simon Community, St. Hilda's & St. Vincent de Paul to mention but a few.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement