Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai and Limerick publicans meet over Good Friday opening for rugby fans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

I tell ya one thing, if it is granted it would make for one hell of a party in Limerick that night!!!!!! Bus loads would be arriving from across the country!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it will not happen, just a lot of publicity for the pubs, who started it ? the mayor ? whats his family buisness ?, i will hazzard a guess, the pub trade, if i am wrong apologys, it just the cynic in me breaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Legally, can not happen

But every club in the city will be applying for a Club Exemption :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

445279.ie wrote: »
    Legally, can not happen

But every club in the city will be applying for a Club Exemption :D

Yes it can, the intoxicating liquor laws allow for exemptions in the case of large local events which will be of benefit to the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Legally, can not happen

It's only against the law till they change the stupid law.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

i honestly hope that the publicans do,nt get the extension.the greedy shower of ****ers. they were robbing people for years and now they are crying because a lot of people are drinking at home. it,s funny that a lot of pubs can drop the price of a pint to e3.50 now that things have gone quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

coffee shops rob us aswell. so do clothing stores. sao do electric companies so do tv companies.

foinse wrote: »
    Yes it can, the intoxicating liquor laws allow for exemptions in the case of large local events which will be of benefit to the local area.

Except on Good Friday and Christmas Day, looked at the legislation today.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    It's only against the law till they change the stupid law.:)

They're hardly going to push through legislation in a fortnight

Except on Good Friday and Christmas Day, looked at the legislation today.

They're hardly going to push through legislation in a fortnight

so your sugesting what exactly? that these people dont know the law and are wasting their time discussing it?

the pubs will get their exemption and it will pave the way to rid this ridiculous law once and for all. hopefully closing christmas will be done away with aswell. a mate of mine made the point we live in a 24 hour country where every doesnt get up at 8 go to work til 5 have their dinner and go to bed at 10 or 11. everyones day is different. some people work all evenings and therefore those tax payers should be alowed to drink after work.

bars should be able to open any time of any day that they feel there is demand.

Not saying I don't agree with it, just pointing out the fact that there is nothing at the moment in legislation, whereby the pubs can open on Good Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Not saying I don't agree with it, just pointing out the fact that there is nothing at the moment in legislation, whereby the pubs can open on Good Friday

You need to brush up on your Licensing Law because there does exist a provision, albeit very seldom used within the 1962 Act:-

Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1962

Section 10 - Exemptions for special events.
    10.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, where, on application to a Justice of the District Court by the holder of a licence in respect of premises situate in any locality not in the county borough of Dublin, it is shown to the satisfaction of the Court that the application has the approval of a majority of the holders of licences in respect of premises so situate and is in respect of a period during which a special event or special events will take place in or near that locality of such kind that, in the opinion of the Court, the period will be one during which a considerable number of persons will be likely to be attracted to that locality, the Court, if it is satisfied that it is desirable to do so for the accommodation of those persons, may, after hearing the officer in charge of the Garda Síochána for that locality, make an order, subject to such conditions as it thinks proper, exempting the holders of licences in respect of premises so situate from the provisions of the Licensing Acts relating to prohibited hours in respect of those premises at such times and on such days during the period as it thinks fit: provided that, where the period aforesaid exceeds nine days, the exemption shall be limited to such times and days as it thinks fit during a period or periods (not exceeding three) comprising in all not more than nine days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    i honestly hope that the publicans do,nt get the extension.the greedy shower of ****ers. they were robbing people for years and now they are crying because a lot of people are drinking at home. it,s funny that a lot of pubs can drop the price of a pint to e3.50 now that things have gone quiet

it's not about publicans being greedy! it's about generating much needed revenue into the Limerick region!

it's not about publicans being greedy! it's about generating much needed revenue into the Limerick region!

It's also about doing away with a law that is outdated and relevant to only one section of Irish society, while yes, the majority of Irish people are (according to their birth certs) Catholic, how many do you know that are practicing Catholics?

Personally i only go to mass for 3 reasons, 1 funerals, 2 weddings and 3 christmas (to keep the mother happy). And I rarely drink, so my feelings on this subject are not motivated by the want to drink. I honestly think that in a multicultural (by multicultural i don't just mean immigrants, i also include Irish people who have decided to change faith) society like the one we find ourselves in today, laws based on religion have no place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's also about doing away with a law that is outdated and relevant to only one section of Irish society, while yes, the majority of Irish people are (according to their birth certs) Catholic, how many do you know that are practicing Catholics?

Personally i only go to mass for 3 reasons, 1 funerals, 2 weddings and 3 christmas (to keep the mother happy). And I rarely drink, so my feelings on this subject are not motivated by the want to drink. I honestly think that in a multicultural (by multicultural i don't just mean immigrants, i also include Irish people who have decided to change faith) society like the one we find ourselves in today, laws based on religion have no place.

All well and good, but if these guys aren't motivated by their pocket and are campagining against an outdated law why wasn't there an outcry against it last year or any other year? Did it only pass it's sell by date once the Celtic League fixtures were made?

Other Celtic League games have been played on Good Friday and there was no problem.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    All well and good, but if these guys aren't motivated by their pocket and are campagining against an outdated law why wasn't there an outcry against it last year or any other year? Did it only pass it's sell by date once the Celtic League fixtures were made?

Other Celtic League games have been played on Good Friday and there was no problem.

I'm not saying the vintners association are motivated by some great calling of justice for the little people, what i am saying is that if this is done then there will be more of a possibility of changes in the legislation.

If a few bars make some money along the way, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick to lose €10 million,
    So what happened all the other €10 millions... Every time we have rugby match??
    Don't see any sign of it in the city centre :)
    Don't really care if the pubs open or not! Just want good friday to be over so don't have to hear this rubbish anymore! (till next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'm not saying the vintners association are motivated by some great calling of justice for the little people, what i am saying is that if this is done then there will be more of a possibility of changes in the legislation.

If a few bars make some money along the way, so be it.

I would have no problem with it being done as part of an overall seperation between Church and state laws.

My biggest problem is the ****e we'd have to listen to from the Toyota brigade about how they put an end to the ban on Good Friday drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

All well and good, but if these guys aren't motivated by their pocket and are campagining against an outdated law why wasn't there an outcry against it last year or any other year?
    Pope JP died, the various scandals about the church came out, and Ireland gets a little less catholic every year. We're evolving. This is a step along the way.

i think if you look a liuttle bit on this forum youll find another article by Paulegend about this very thing last year

Paulegend really is amazing:D

Advertisement