Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effexor 150mg

Options
  • 09-03-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was just put on these meds recently changed from lexapro 20mg which I was am for 11 months. I am on effexor now for a month and I am still finding it ineffective along with therapy.

I know that meds takes time to work, however, I am finding that it is working in all the wrong ways: Nausea, headaches, severe nightmares along with next to zero sleep.

I am on 150mg and I feel as if I'd be better off on nothing! I mentioned the side-effects to the doc that gave it to me and she just said that you'll get used to it....!!

Do things get better, does anyone else experience any of the above?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just a reminder to folks to share only their own experiences, and not to dispense medical advice, however well meaning - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 silent1

Hi I am currently on effexor 225 for the past 4 years. I never had any side effects that you have mentioned - however I have heard that it does not suit everyone.

As for effectiveness, I have always had to have an additional medication - usually an anti- psychotic to maintain my mood.

Talk to your doctor - a psychiatrist would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I went between 150 and 225 for about three years. As the last poster said, I always needed something else as my mood swings were unbearable. I was prescribed seroquel too for a while which in hindsight I didn't need.
    I found effexor very difficult to stop taking. If I missed a dose, I'd get really dizzy and have sort of electric shock like feelings in my head. I also had weird sleep when I was taking it - either no sleep at all or else sleeping loads and not having the energy to get out of bed. I also had terrible nightmares a lot of the time and really bad night sweats. It was a horrible time, when I wasn't feeling down I just felt nothing.

I went from 225 - 150 over the course of a couple of months and then from 150 - 75. Going to 75mgs was really difficult in that I was constantly feeling sick and dizzy and my memory was ridiculously bad.

Anyway, eventually I was put on prozac and honestly I've never looked back. I can't really describe how much easier my life is to lead now.

Not giving advice here but if you feel your medication isn't suiting your or at least not helping then ask for it to be reviewed. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there..

I was just back for my weekly review with the local team, they seem to think that these meds are working for me, however I reallly do disagree!

I have told them about the side effects and one of them just said you'll get used to it! My GP has told me that they are hard to come off, that people can build a reliance to them and didn't think I should be on these at all...So I am really confused and I am considering stopping these meds myself and increasing my intake of B vitamins. To me it seems like the most sensible idea...at least at that I won't have awful side effects....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I was on effexor for three years at 75mg and Im trying to taper off now at 37mg now and it is a nightmare. To be fair it kept me stable for the time I was on it but its very hard to come off it. Give it a good month to see if your mood improves. I know its hard but try and be patient.

The withdrawls are very harsh so far however and it seems to be a common problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 obrien10

Have been on Effexor 375mg for almost 3 years and it seemed to be the only med that wrked for me. Tried lots but we all react differently. Convince your doctors that you need to change meds. Beware though if you find Effexor is working, withdrawal is hell. Not trying to alarm anyone but .... I got down to 37mg per day (eventually after lots of dizziness, nauseau, sweats etc ) and my doctor says I should have no problem coming off this level.. No problem !!. Motion sickness (even just to move an eye), brain zaps, restless legs, nightmares, unbelievable sweats , teary, sleeplessness.... a nightmare. I lasted 3 days and now am reduced to opening the capsule, and taking approx. half of the "beads". Still feel bad but at least the motion sickness isnt as severe.
    Does anyone know of any other way of getting off this drug ? Help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bad sleeper

Oh my god.... really scared now. I've been on 150mg - 75mg of effexor for maybe 3 or 4 years and am now terrified to try to get weaned off them!!! I have found it helpful but definitely if I forget to take it I get really dizzy too plus still have bad days but I guess that's normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Oh my god.... really scared now. I've been on 150mg - 75mg of effexor for maybe 3 or 4 years and am now terrified to try to get weaned off them!!! I have found it helpful but definitely if I forget to take it I get really dizzy too plus still have bad days but I guess that's normal?

thats exactly why it is not a good idea to read too much into what you see on the internet, as it is subjective only. by nature, those who have had good experiences will not bother posting much about them, while those who had a bad experience will post all about it.

you should discuss your concerns with your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

sam34 wrote: »
    thats exactly why it is not a good idea to read too much into what you see on the internet, as it is subjective only. by nature, those who have had good experiences will not bother posting much about them, while those who had a bad experience will post all about it.

you should discuss your concerns with your doctor

Also remember what effexor is for, people can be posting up their experiences in the midst of panic and can wildly overstate effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have found it helpful

This is what you need to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Effexor worked for me but the weaning off can be uncomfortable.

I was down to 37mg for about six weeks and spaced it out to every second day to every fourth day. You have to eventually just stop and suffer withdrawls for about two or three days. They ease off as time goes by. Dont worry about all the scare stories online, its mildly uncomfortable but no big deal.

Advertisement