Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maltese terrier - what are they like?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I know all dogs are different but as a breed would you recommend them? We are in touch with a lady at the moment who needs to rehome her 18 month old male Maltese...she's just had a baby-must be the most popular reason in the world for giving up a dog but it's her choice I guess! Regardless of her reason the dog sounds like a lovely, quiet little guy so we're going to meet him at some stage this week. We're looking for a companion for our own little dog. Not that he doesn't get enough attention from us but he loves other dogs and he's so good with them, he just wants a pal to play with really so we're looking for number two. She sounds genuine, I mean she could easily sell him for good money but she just wants him to go to a good home so I'm sure he is the good dog that she said he is. Apart from that, does anyone here have a Maltese or experience with them? I know they can be yappy but she said he's quiet enough and doesn't bark much. Is a Jack Russell and a Maltese a good match? Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've met a couple of Malteses doing dog grooming and they were lovely, quiet, friendly dogs. I can't speak for all of them though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenrobbri

My brothers family have one and he is a great little dog, well behaved friendly and a real little pet. On down side he has a very delicate tummy, he has to have special food and you have to be very careful that there is nothing around the house that he can eat. They have had him to the vets lots of times. I have heard this is quite common in Malteses. Other than that he's the perfect little dog. I have two Jackrussels and he gets on great with them, even snuggles up to sleep with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 greensleep

They are a great dog to own. Great with children, very gentle, but full of mischief at the same time. The downside is their coat needs a lot of grooming. But you could keep his hair short. They do feel the cold very easily though. If it was me I would snap him up in an instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RALL!

Well, I have 2 jack russell mixes and a maltese(they're just maltese - not maltese terriers;)).
    I would never get another jack russell(or mix) but I would get another maltese in a heartbeat. Mine is just perfect - and any others I have met have been the same. He is 10 months old now and I am letting him get to full coat - its a lot of work but you can easily just keep them in a puppy cut if you don't have the time for all the grooming - a maltese in full coat - or even a few inches off the ground will need at least 15 mins grooming every day!

He has a lot of energy - but still less than my other 2. He tends to have fits of energy and then will sleep a lot.
    He is very playful and is good with children.

His one fault is barking - he is very barky but a lot of that is down to myself, for not nipping this habit at the bud.

I don't know what size the maltese is but I know that I can't leave mine alone with the jack russell mixes as they are just too strong compaired to him and he could easily get hurt.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gone With The W

I have three maltese they are a fantastic dog but molly our oldest gives our jack russell a tough life bossing him around. they are a very hardy breed and not as delicate as people think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement