Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush's Mars Plan

Options
  • 09-03-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭

Seen bits a pieces of it.

I know that there were plans to build a space stations along the lines of 3 times the size of the ISS. Space stations would have included giant fuel tanks and internal hangers.

I've seen a picture of it, but can't find anything on the internet now about it.

Anyone else have any details about the plans back then. I'm guessing it would have been very tricky to land a spacecraft on Mars with enough fuel to get it back into orbit and on its way back to earth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Wasn't it the Moon that Bush focussed on? Didn't he say that there'd be a manned station there by 2020? I don't recall him ever mentioning anything about a Martian base, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I believe it was a moon base and a manned trip to mars. There were no plans for a base on mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Sorry. Am referring to George Bush Snr's plan to go to Mars back in 1991.

Got shelved after the total plan was costed at almost 1 trillion dollars over 20 years. By all accounts, the architecture planned was way over the top and half of it really wasn't needed to get to Mars.

BTW, I think Bush Jnrs plan to get to Mars was some sort of response to his father's plan being cancelled.

Well, what do you know, I've found the wikipedia page on the plan including a picture of the proposed space station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Exploration_Initiative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

The "Ride Report" advocated establishment of a permanent moon base by 2010

... ...:rolleyes: Unless it's hidden, there's no moon base up there now (and bus was lying through his hole). Ah no, this is very interesting because I had no idea Bush Snr put through plans of this nature. It was ambitious, but no-one will ever topple the speech by JFK about going to the moon.

Kevin

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote: »
    The "Ride Report" advocated establishment of a permanent moon base by 2010

... ...:rolleyes: Unless it's hidden, there's no moon base up there now (and bus was lying through his hole). Ah no, this is very interesting because I had no idea Bush Snr put through plans of this nature. It was ambitious, but no-one will ever topple the speech by JFK about going to the moon.

Kevin

It was a real pity. The infrastructure which would have been put in place would have been enourmous. Would have been an Apollo style effort being put in, during the 90s and 00s.

Advertisement