Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Od Question

• 09-03-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Im right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist Its always commented that ive got the watch on the wrong wrist... it should be on the left i guess to protect it as i do the majority of things with my right hand...
    the strange thing is my dad wears his watch on his right wrist to and is also right handed my unkle was the same......

I'm I just part of a strange clan of people who do everything differently...?

tho when i wear it on my left wrist i find it anoying adn uncomfortable.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I first started out as a boy wearing watches I also had it on my right wrist.
    Switched over when I noticed everyone else wearing it on the left :o

I think why most people wear it on the left is because you need the right hand to wind it or set the time. It's tradition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Easily explained SM. You're a bloody weirdo. :D I know a few who do exactly the same thing. Including lefties who wear it on the left wrist, which I suppose is more understandable. For me it feels weird on my right wrist. It's just the "accepted" thing more than anything. Yes it allows for some protection, but thats about it.

If you look at some photos of early wristwatches when they were still ironing out the details, they wore them on both wrists and often with the face of the watch on the pulse side facing in. The early stuff also had some more like pocket watches with full metal faces(full hunter) and you had to flip it up to read it. Some had what they called shrapnel guards. Again for protection. Though the latter plugged into the military angle which so many were made for. WW1 is what made the wristlet a mans watch. Previously wristwatches were very rare and considered mostly for women. Then you had "driving" watches where they angled the dial so it was on the edge of the wrist in line with the thumb or others where the 12 position was at 2 so it was considered easier to glance and get the time that way.

If you think about it, the wrist on either hand is a strange place to put something as delicate as a watch. Its getting constant shocks and movement, acceleration and deceleration(hence autos work), variable temps and positions. The pocket is so much more stable an environment. Its amazing that even the earliest wristlets work so well. Ive one from 1916. No shock protection, precious little dust protection. Water? forget about it. It has the second best accuracy of any of mine and its all original except for the mainspring.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm a lefty and started wearing my watch on my right only a few years ago. I put my Sinn u1 on my left yesterday and nearly fell over!!

I was always told that it should be on the opposite hand you write with as the shaking is bad for it but does anyone use a pen anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i keep mine on my right wrist also. just feels more natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I wear mine on the conventional left. I'm right handed.

I suppose the theory goes that if you need to start a chronograph, rotate a bezel etc it's easier with your dominant hand.

Try wearing it on your right and doing the above with your left hand. Doesn't seem right somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Normally I wear my watch on my left wrist like everyone else but I have peculiar habit which I read as a tip somewhere and it is quite helpful. Whenever I am driving in Europe on the right I always switch my watch to my right wrist and repeat to myself "Think left, keep right" I did this the very first time I drove a LHD car and driving on the opposite side just came to me naturally. The unusual feeling of the watch on my right wrist kept me alert and aware of the differences.

Advertisement