Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cotoneaster being wiped out - help!?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

All cotoneaster hedges around our area seem to be dying, irrespective of age or size. Its seems to affect all the varieties - and even hedges far apart from each other in different gardens.

Is it disease brought on by weather? Whatever it is, its very virulent, it seems to wipe out all buds and leaves, and it appears to be killing the plants outright.

Any ideas?

107180.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thought I was going mad for a minute, then I found the escallonia thread on DIY that I had been reading earlier :D.
    There are lots of different cotoneasters, but I think that is escallonia, and apparently a lot of people have been having problems. My escallonia is looking a bid dead, but I assumed it was just the weather, I must have a better look at it.
    Check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242275.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roo_photo

Many thanks !

You are right - it is Escallonia :o... had a look around and the problem is certainly seems to be quite widespread.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

The problem could be related to our recent wet summers and hard frosty winter. It looks like a fungal leaf disease. If the plant is alive (any green under the bark when you scrap?), best to cut away the disease parts. If cutting other plants nearby, clean the secateurs to prevent spreading more disease.
    Prune when weather is a little bit warmer, maybe April. Its very important to remove all dead leaves and debris to stop spread of disease. Finally, add a fertiliser or rich compost mulch to the base during the growing season as part of the recovery plan. Hope this works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

We have a catoniaster horizontalis, it grows against the wall which offers protection against wind etc. It's bare at the mo, but buds will come.

Catoniaster are nice plants and provide berries for birds but I believe they are considered very invasive in mountainous areas like Connemara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

It looks like it was frost damaged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement