Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are DBS (Dublin Business School) degrees worth nothing?

• 09-03-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Like a psychology degree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I would rather go to IADT to do Psychology than DBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Maybe I'm missing something but, why wouldnt they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

correct me if im wrong, but i think its because of the points difference between DBS and university

I assumed thats because it's fee paying?

DBS is fee paying and the degree you get is under HETAC aswell not UCD, DCU or TCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Our guidance counsellor said they're psychology and law degrees were very well respected but the fees are very expensive.

If it gets to where you want to go it can't be worth nothing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It might be nice if mannequin explained why s/he made the thread / asked the question. :)

IMO a degree is worth what you put into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Jammyc wrote: »
    That doesn't serve to change people's opinions of it though? Actually, I've no clue of 3.5 degrees and whatnot so...

Jammyc wrote: »
    Very true in one way, not so true viewed from a different perspective, as owen points out.
    theowen wrote: »
    That doesn't serve to change people's opinions of it though? Actually, I've no clue of 3.5 degrees and whatnot so...
    Em, what are 3.5 degrees? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Very true in one way, not so true viewed from a different perspective, as owen points out.

Em, what are 3.5 degrees? :confused:
    2.1 Perhaps:o.Ye, I just remember you need a 2.1 degree to apply for graduate entry into medicine/something like that. How does the scoring go?

2.1 Perhaps:o.Ye, I just remember you need a 2.1 degree to apply for graduate entry into medicine/something like that. How does the scoring go?

The grades go from I, a first down through 2.1, 2.2, 3 and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Like a psychology degree?

Well, if you want to actually work as a psychologist, you're going to have to have an undergrad degree that is recognised by institutes as the PSI (Psychological Society of Ireland) and the BPS (British Psychological Society)

DBS's one is definitely recognised by PSI and also I think (but not sure) the BPS so you can take whatever value you like from that one.

Linkage: http://www.psihq.ie/training_careerGuide.asp

With any degree, or course you go to do - think about what you want to do afterwards, and ensure that that particular degree is recognised by the professional bodies of the industry you wish to work in.

Oh ...!! :p:D

First Class Hons i.e. 1H

Second Class Hons (Upper) i.e 2H1 or 2.1

Second Class Hons (Lower) i.e. 2H2 or 2.2

Third Class Hons i.e. 3H

Then you're down to Pass ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

Well, if you want to actually work as a psychologist, you're going to have to have an undergrad degree that is recognised by institutes as the PSI (Psychological Society of Ireland) and the BPS (British Psychological Society)

DBS's one is definitely recognised by PSI and also I think (but not sure) the BPS so you can take whatever value you like from that one.

Linkage: http://www.psihq.ie/training_careerGuide.asp

With any degree, or course you go to do - think about what you want to do afterwards, and ensure that that particular degree is recognised by the professional bodies of the industry you wish to work in.

Sorry to jump in to this post but I would like to ask opinions about my concern.

So here is my story, my son is doing his leaving cert this summer and he wants to do psychology. He applied to Trinity and DCU ( DCU will start a psychology course in Sept). Last week he was mentioning as a back up plan about Dublin Business School. I know that I have to pay fees but he really wants to do psychology.

I noticed that the DBS degree is reconised by PSI , but my question is what is the difference between a degree at DBS or DCU and how will affect his career in the future if he wants to work as a psychologist?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

korpy wrote: »
    I noticed that the DBS degree is reconised by PSI , but my question is what is the difference between a degree at DBS or DCU and how will affect his career in the future if he wants to work as a psychologist?

The only issue really is that fee paying schools tend to be looked down on as opposed to the Universities but I can't say specifically what the case is for a psychology degree!

Has your son looked at NUIM or Psychology thorough Arts in NUIM or UCD (I think they do it too!) as other options as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

I went to DBS and found the standard of the course to be excellent

However there is definitely a snobbery thing about private colleges that employers dont like i.e. they think you just 'paid' for your qualification instead of actually working for it which is of course total BS.

I found my employment opps limited after DBS but when I went on to do a masters at DIT things changed and i started getting places

My advice? Try and get into a university - if you dont get the points first time round - re-sit the leaving and make sure you get them next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

A point was made to me recently, that while the students that get into these colleges mightnt be great (The type that tend to do law in Griffith etc are general students who couldnt get in anywhere else) the colleges themselves (In terms of lecturers) are excellent.

Because the colleges are fee paying, they must be uber-competitive, so as a result, they have excellent lecturers.

I would still try and go to a university/IT/whatever over one of those colleges for a variety of reasons (Being a student isnt just about academics....)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Fad wrote: »
    A point was made to me recently, that while the students that get into these colleges mightnt be great (The type that tend to do law in Griffith etc are general students who couldnt get in anywhere else) the colleges themselves (In terms of lecturers) are excellent.

Because the colleges are fee paying, they must be uber-competitive, so as a result, they have excellent lecturers.

I would still try and go to a university/IT/whatever over one of those colleges for a variety of reasons (Being a student isnt just about academics....)

So basically, you get a better education, probably dont deserve it as much as the people who worked to get the points, and employers will think you got a **** education. Oh well!

Has your son looked at NUIM or Psychology thorough Arts in NUIM or UCD (I think they do it too!) as other options as well?

You cannot major in psychology through Arts in UCD, you can only minor in it and there is very little places if you want to minor in it.

NUIM have entry requirements for second psychology through Arts but they offer psychology through science aswell.

IADT offer a psychology degree which is recognised by the Irish body and is in around 325 points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

unknown13 wrote: »
    NUIM have entry requirements for second psychology through Arts but they offer psychology through science aswell.

Yea, you need to be in the top 30 in the class to proceed into 2nd year psychology which is then a full psych degree as you can also do straight in NUIM.

They still don't hurt as back up ideas though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

stainluss wrote: »
    So basically, you get a better education, probably dont deserve it as much as the people who worked to get the points, and employers will think you got a **** education. Oh well!

Not nessecarily, private college having excellent lecturers does not mean they are better lecturers. They can sometimes be better, sometimes they mightnt.

It varies I assume.

I am not in a private college, so I dont speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Muse007

Hi, hope this thread is still active.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience in applying for a master in an other EU country with a DBS BA(Hons) Level 8 Degree - accredited by LJMU (Liverpool John Moores University).
    I finished with my part-time business studies at DBS. On my transcript of result sheet I have a total number of 90 CP (Credit Points).

I am planning to do a MA in Germany and found out that a minimum of 180 ECTS-credits is required. It seems that CP and ECTS credits are the same.

So that brings me back to the original question... Are DBS degrees worth nothing? Of course DBS told me that I have a full Hons degree and that I can apply anywhere. So what's with this low number of 90 CPs?
    Thx! :)

Muse007 wrote: »
    Hi, hope this thread is still active.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience in applying for a master in an other EU country with a DBS BA(Hons) Level 8 Degree - accredited by LJMU (Liverpool John Moores University).
    I finished with my part-time business studies at DBS. On my transcript of result sheet I have a total number of 90 CP (Credit Points).

I am planning to do a MA in Germany and found out that a minimum of 180 ECTS-credits is required. It seems that CP and ECTS credits are the same.

So that brings me back to the original question... Are DBS degrees worth nothing? Of course DBS told me that I have a full Hons degree and that I can apply anywhere. So what's with this low number of 90 CPs?
    Thx! :)
    Hi Muse,

you wouldn't have qualified for an honours Level 8 degree with 90 ECTS credits, there's no way DBS would be getting away with that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a guess ... as it's a part-time degree, I'm guessing it may have been completed in stages i.e. perhaps a diploma stage worth 90 credits and a second stage for degree also worth 90 credits? That might explain why only 90 credits are showing on your transcript of results for the actual degree?

Well, there was no diploma stage.
    The structure is as follows:
    6 Subjects with 5 CPs (Year 1)
    5 Subjects with 6 CPs (Year 2)
    5 Subjects with 6 CPs (Year 3)

The whole part-time BA programe is designed for 4 Years (2 Evenings per week) I was working full time during these years.
    So maybe job experience counts as well - but it is really an additional 90CP? It doesn't say anywhere on the official documents.
    There are too many maybe's and but's around this topic...frustrating :mad:

Muse007 wrote: »
    Well, there was no diploma stage.
    The structure is as follows:
    6 Subjects with 5 CPs (Year 1)
    5 Subjects with 6 CPs (Year 2)
    5 Subjects with 6 CPs (Year 3)

The whole part-time BA programe is designed for 4 Years (2 Evenings per week) I was working full time during these years.
    So maybe job experience counts as well - but it is really an additional 90CP? It doesn't say anywhere on the official documents.
    There are too many maybe's and but's around this topic...frustrating :mad:
    Job experience wouldn't count, unless there was assessment related to it ... it's the *learning* garnered from the experience which counts, not the experience itself.

I think you need to contact DBS directly. Something is odd if, as you say, 1 CP = 1 ECTS.

Hi,
    I hope someone can help.
    Just received the info from a private university that I have not enough CPs with my BA (hons) in business that I made with DBS. 180 CPs are required, I still have 90 CPs.
    They are not able to count in any work experiences or previous education I obtained.

So my dilemma is, that I basically have to jump into the 4th term and spend another 1 1/2 years to get my real bachelor degree which then gives me the opportunity to do a master.

That is again time and money that I have literally wasted with DBS.

Does anybody know specific EU related websites that state specifically how many CP (or ECTS) points are required to have a proper bachelor degree?

Where do I get professional legal help in Ireland for this matter?

Thank you !

Have you contacted DBS directly about this as previously advised?

What did they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would get onto DBS and see what they have to say very quickly, it may just be a misunderstanding but I would hope they haven't misrepresented the course to you.

In terms of the private degrees in general, the only thing my teacher said to watch out for is that they don't come from University of Dublin, they can come from University of Middle of Nowhere in England and sometimes employers can question what kind of qualification you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Employer is faced with two candidates for a job: Mr. A has 2.1H Degree X from Trinity, Mr. B has 1H degree X from DBS. Mr. A gets the job 100% of the time. You can debate whether or not that's fair etc. but it's reality so deal with it.

Advertisement